Archinect
anchor

worst shop tool to fall asleep on

blackturtleneck

Suppose you were working on a model at 3AM and started to drift off. Would you rather fall asleep using a bandsaw, a miter saw, or a table saw?

Jul 21, 07 5:34 pm
KEG

a miter saw, if the shield comes down when you lift it up.

hmmm...an archinect game of "would you rather"...that could get interesting.

Jul 21, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
binary

miter saw/chop saw....simply because you have control of the power switch and the blade brakes rather quick too...

i was doing a little head nodding on a table saw before..... i stopped myself and went to bed......

i seen a few injuries on shop tools though....... if just takes one screw up to keep you alert the rest of your life...

b

Jul 21, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

table saw is the worst. that thing scares me when i'm even completely rested and alert.

Jul 21, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

uhmm for the record, and I can say this categorically, my answer would be neither, none, no thanks

g'bye

Jul 21, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

drill press

Jul 21, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
binary

a guy i used to work with cut half his pinky finger off with a jigsaw....... he was holding a board and trimming it down the long ways for a filler piece....well, he didnt realize that board wasnt as wide as he thought.....

drill press...you have to watch out when drill steel and large holes in wood....it might bind and catch and turn your piece right into your rib cage......

b

Jul 21, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My husband just returned from installing a freelance fabrication job (for you Chicago 'necters: a big wedding reception pavilion at the Drake - McGrath Lexus' son is getting married tonight) that has had him working nearly sleepless for the better part of the last week. Final hour of install, he accidentally tried to slit his own wrist with a paddle bit - drilling through the thing he was holding and misjudging how thick the wood was. Thnak goodness one of the florist crew had a first aid kit!

He's Mr. Shop Safety too, so it's a testament to how overtired he is.

Jul 21, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think a table saw would be the most comfortable as long as the blade is
down...

i'm having a hard time understanding how someone cut their pinky off with
a jigsaw..or was it really that quick? and was he really cutting towards
his hand rather than away?..

my only shop accident was a chisel into my finger...i let go of the chisel
in the mortise to hold the piece of wood...chisel skipped out and went
right into my finger.

Jul 21, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

somehow i feel like this thread would be better with pictures
or diagrams...

Jul 21, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
binary

image hold a 1x4x8' piece of cedar.... we did a score line that needed to be cut off for the trim to fit into place.......

image you have the piace in hand ...hold the jigsaw in the right hand and the cedar in the left...... thumb on top of board and the palm/fingers under the board.........the bit on the jigsaw was a rough cut blade too....... do some math.....

4" wide for board.......how big is your hand.......

i seen it and taped his finger up........

b

Jul 21, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

wasn't that i didn't believe you cryzko...just had trouble picturing it..

so i guess he was holding the board ahead of the blade? that's
just scary..although i've probably done some dumb stuff with a jigsaw..
i.e. every time i back cut on a piece of moulding in order to do a nice
tight joint.

Jul 21, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
binary

it's cool..... sometimes you have to paint the picture

b

Jul 21, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
blackturtleneck

You can do a nice manicure with a table sander...

Jul 22, 07 2:08 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i took the tip of my finger off on a disk sander once

Jul 22, 07 2:56 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i remember my uni's table saw and mitre having massive guards that kept me from falling on them. also, it's hard to imagine just passing out and injuring yourself, though i have seen several incidents of tired kids working with things they probably shouldn't.

i really awesome one would have to be the lathe. friend ran himself through when he was using the wrong chisel for roughing down a large limb he had squared. made for quite the emergency room conversation.

and this totally needs some scanned drawings to spice it up a bit.

Jul 22, 07 4:08 am  · 
 · 

blades can do a lot of damage - i've been afraid of the grinder after watching a girl mess up her leg pretty bad in undergrad - but the university of ky shop has an arc welder. whew! that would suck.

Jul 22, 07 7:46 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Wood Jointer - instant burger with zero chance for re-attachment!

Jul 22, 07 8:46 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

I still think the most potentially damaging studio tool is the xacto blade. If you've ever had a snapped tip just miss your eyeball, you know what I'm talking about.

Jul 22, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 
blackturtleneck

I once worked at a private school that had a blacksmith shop. Kids were allowed to work wearing shorts until a piece of hot metal fell of the anvil and burned some girl's leg. Now they wear pants. I thought brands were supposed to be cool though.

Jul 22, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
binary

in 91 when i was in welding class a kid was wearing a sweater......he caught on fire....not bad...just a little smoke....but enough to wake his ass up...

my friend in college was carving a small block of wax with an xacto and sliced the palm area right under your thumb...... he caught it on an angle and it was like a large flap of skin......... duct tape and napkins fixed him right up.......

i have alot of stories bty

Jul 22, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
upside

i've done the disk sander as well. was tired enough to forget that you should use the side os the disk thats spinning down towards the table...

the added insult came about 4 hrs later when i took off the bandage in the shower and the hot jet of water hit the place where my nail used to be. there really is no way to vomit on yourself in a dignified way. lucky i was in the shower

Jul 22, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
gypsy

A guy I worked with got pretty messed up on the drill press, he got the piece he was drilling into a bind, it spun, ripping off the 220 electric shocking him and then slicing his arm open. He never used the drill press again.

Jul 22, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Steven Ward

The arc welders are suprisingly safe...unless you are welding while soaking wet, the arc will usually only ground itself to metal. Dont weld full gas tanks...

Saying that, I have caught my pants on fire twice while welding and I have also backed into red-hot metal that someone had been welding behind me; I have a scar on my side from that one

Jul 22, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I have always been somewhat suspect of the jointer

Jul 22, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i took the wood jointer out of the shop when i ran the universities wood shop..... i also locked up the special blades for the saws/etc

i once put a $100 blade on the table saw...nice triple chip blade for wood and acrylic....well that night some ass decided it would be cool to cut cement board on the table saw....wtf...... i didnt find out till the next evening when a student tried to cut a piece of 1/2" plywood and the thing was smoking like a sumbeatch...... i had to investigate and wonder why ALL the teeth were missing from the blade....opened the cabinet up and see about 2" of cement dust......

i caught a wood table on fire when i was arc welding...i setup some jigs and smelled something burning...haha.....osb lights up rather quick..... prolly from all the glue

b

Jul 22, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

the table saw would be by far and away the worst tool to pass out on, at least that I know of.

Jul 23, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

I think an X-acto knife can be pretty dangerous if you don't watch what you're doing-I had one slide to the bottom edge of my drafting table once without me knowing it, and I slid the straightedge down to the bottom...and when I pulled my hand up, the knife was dangling from the heel of my hand by its point!

Jul 23, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I used to be a shop tool...

Jul 23, 07 2:05 am  · 
 · 
joshua

so in the 8th grade i did some grunt construction work and there was this guy who would run the saw we used to cut plywood decking (safety removed for ease of use) lifted in the air to cool off from the texas heat and as he held it above his shoulder with the trigger depressed he had a cramp or something and dropped it.(they never let me see the wounf luckily)

Jul 23, 07 2:12 am  · 
 · 
Katze

i think most of the above stories should be documented on the tv show Maximum Exposure - maybe we should create a Max-X architect version to grouse everyone out.

Jul 23, 07 2:22 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

joshua..that's one of the dumbest ideas i've ever heard of...
i'm cringing just thinking about it.

Jul 23, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
blackturtleneck

Along those same lines there is the subject of using acid to etch or discolor metals... I bought some concentrated hydrochloric acid once to etch some stainless steel. It didn't work on the stainless but did a great job on my shoes.

Jul 23, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
postal

i choose the planer...

had a dream where i was pushin a piece through, and got sucked in...

though, i came out great in the dream, i doubt i would be very happy in real life...

Jul 23, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters
sawstop

id fall asleep on one of these!

Jul 23, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

A shop tech I know lost a ring finger when using a drill press with gloves on. It caught his finger and yanked it off. Eeek.

Table saws still scare me the most.

I got pretty nasty kickback from a flying piece of plywood when I was using a table saw in a sleep-deprived haze as an undergrad. Now I don't use power tools unless it's the morning and I'm well rested.

Jul 23, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: