Archinect
anchor

Music For Your Funeral

vado retro

So, I was at the funeral home tonight for a viewing of one the mother of one of my best friends. Of course, the conversation eventually turned to what music should be played at our funerals. My friend said that he was going to make sure to pick his out soon since he did not want to trust his sister with such a responsiblity. We had a stirring discussion about which version of Wild Horses he should use. He prefers Gram Parsons version(which i just listened to yesterday conicindentally) while I like The Stones version. So archinectors throw in a tune or two. You are all invited to my funeral and you will probably here ThIsOnE!!!

Jul 11, 07 10:46 pm
blackturtleneck

Highway to Hell.

Jul 11, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

BTLN you took the words out of my mouth,

For me, probably Bittersweet Symphony

Jul 11, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

"One Step Beyond" by Madness

Jul 11, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
tourant

Arcade Fire: Funeral, Band of Horses: The Funeral...

Jul 11, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Quiet Friend by Steve Roach, Starmoods by Jonn Serrie, the second half of The Stars, Like Dust, also by Jonn Serrie and Requiem by Robert Rich. I have actually thought about having a soundtrack to my own funeral (it would be fitting, as nearly everything else in my life is set to music) and it would be hauntingly beautiful, etheral and sad.

Jul 11, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
n_
Ding dong the witch is dead, the wicked witch is dead...

I want that song. The Wizard of Oz song. Yay.

And, I want them to play 'Disco Inferno' when they are cremating me.

I have a sick sense of humor. I know.

Jul 11, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I will have to go with the classic: Amazing Grace on the bagpipes

The Wind by Cat Stevens would be a decent as well.

Jul 11, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

frankly, i think any music you would pick would have to be funny, hence my endorsement of "Highway to Hell". That's another question, what would be the funniest/most ironic song to play at a funeral? "Happy Happy, Joy Joy" maybe?

Jul 11, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Getting Better - The Beatles
Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight - Cutting Crew
Celebration - Kool & the Gang
Another One Bites the Dust - Queen
I Want Your Sex - George Michael
Dying to Live - Jonny Lang

Jul 12, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Katze

n_ - that's awesome. aquino - I can't stop laughing!

Jul 12, 07 12:46 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I cannot believe i forgot "I Just Died in your Arms Tonight", that is def. gonna be playin at my funeral, that and "Celebration"

Jul 12, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

I'll have to second Another One Bites the Dust.

How about:
Bouncing Around the Room - Phish
Take My Breath Away - Berlin
He Ain't Heavy, He's my Brother - Hollies
Wake Me Up Before You Go - Wham!
Alive - Pearl Jam
I Fall to Pieces - Patsy Cline
Rape Me - Nirvana
Ghostbusters Theme Song
Ha Ha You're Dead - Greenday

Those are the sickest and/or dumbest ones I could come up with.

Jul 12, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Hmm .. how about Black Sabbath's Electric Funeral?

Jul 12, 07 2:32 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

grace - jeff buckley

Jul 12, 07 3:00 am  · 
 · 
mdler

'and if the band your in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon'

Jul 12, 07 3:33 am  · 
 · 

at my grampas funeral they played bagpipes cuz he was in scottish highlander regiment during wwII.

for my da we played "lay down my worries" by harry manx. harry is a friend of my brother's (who also is a professional entertainer) and my da loved the music. I think Harry was moved that we used his tune...

if you haven't heard him, yall should check him out. he be quite good...and not just at funerals ;-)

Jul 12, 07 3:34 am  · 
 · 
carbide

my friend's dad had leonard cohen's 'sisters of mercy', which was obvious but well suited, and then golden earring's 'radar love'. cue a lot of sniffly, snotty, uncontrollable laughter, which my friend assured me was how he would have wanted it.

Jul 12, 07 4:19 am  · 
 · 

desperate but not serious - adam ant
i flew over our house last night - joe henry
i'm looking through you - beatles

Jul 12, 07 7:03 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

also...

LeAvEs
BoX
ClOsEd

Jul 12, 07 7:17 am  · 
 · 

should we all just go ahead and make our funeral mix cds now? it might help out our family/friends later. as long as there are still cd players by then, that is.

Jul 12, 07 7:21 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

it's starting off as an emotionally packed day.

Jul 12, 07 8:00 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

funeral swap!

Jul 12, 07 8:06 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

"My Blue Heaven", Fats Domino.

Jul 12, 07 8:12 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

probably something dark and melodic but in a kind of sadness-can-be-a-good-thing sort of way...in other words, probably something scandinavian. i wouldn't presume to pick any specific tracks at this point in time but would happily trust the dearest of my dj friends aarnio & paris68 to provide just the right atmosphere

Jul 12, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ive actually thought about this on several occasions...

there have also been days i wake up with the undertoad sensation and just feel something bad will happen. on those days i also make sure im listening to something that, if i were to die that day, i would have left some sort of message by what was coming out of my headphones.

for my funeral though...

Radiohead - Everything in its right place
then Kid A back to back no breaks.

Interpol - The New

ive always felt that would be a good song for a funeral, or a murder spree. since im not currently planning any murder spree's, ill go with the song that will sure confuse everyone.

Jul 12, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
antipod

Stayin' Alive
Monkey Gone to Heaven
Ring of Fire?

What was the High Fidelity top Five? 'You're the best thing that ever happenned to me'?

Jul 12, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

one day i woke up to find
right in the bed next to mine
a girl that broke me up
with the corner of her smile...

Jul 12, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I'm going with "Dress Sexy at My Funeral" by Smog, though perhaps I should send that out to attendees in advance so that they can come dressed appropriately.

Jul 12, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I'm laughing so hard!

OK here is the mix that tells the narrative of my death:

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer - Elmo & Patsy
Damaged Goods - Gang of Four
Where Does A Body End - Swans
Dead, Gay, and Dropped - Anal Cunt
Baby's On Fire - Brian Eno (during cremation)
Man In The Box - Alice in Chains
As Deep as Any Burial - Cradle of Filth
Up Jumped the Devil - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
I Will Never Die - Turbonegro
2 Legit 2 Quit - MC Hammer
It's A Sunshine Day - The Brady Bunch

Jul 12, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I find this topic very depressing, as I have never wanted a funeral, since I figure when I'm gone, I'm gone - no big deal.

But then one day my grandmother pointed out that young kids who lose their parents/grandparents/other significant adults need to have a funeral, and an open casket if possible, to make the death "real" for them. And since then I have worried about how Angus would handle me dying and what would happen to him, and my not being able to see him grow up or more importantly to be an influence in his life, and that is just too awful a thing to even think about. I HAVE made arrangements that if we both die Angus will go to my sister, but beyond that, I can't even think about it.

Five years ago I would have joined this conversation with glee. But now, nope.

lletdownl I haven't heard the term "undertoad" in a long time and it did make me smile!

On the flip side, "I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight" is now the fifth sucky 80s tune to get stuck in my head and THAT is about enough to make me take my own life! Damnit!

Jul 12, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

it's not sucky, lb! you just have to open yourself up to it, let it wash over you like a cool breeze. won't be long before you start jonesin' for some bubblicious and a ride in someone's iroc.

Jul 12, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

lb - I'm not sure that is true about needing a funeral/open casket. It doesn't seem like you want to continue the conversation, but... I lost my father when I was quite young, and (he was sick for so long and obviously miserable) I was actually glad to see him go because I knew how he had been suffering, and understood exactly what it meant.

He was cremated - I did not need or want to see a body and thankfully no one made me because I think that would have traumatized me. I don't remember much of the funeral other than it was very formal. What I do remember is that afterward, people, especially teachers and other adults, universally pitied me and behaved apologetically or were more lenient, and I did not understand THAT. I actually felt worse for my mother than for myself, and the year after he passed on was probably my most obedient, well-behaved year ever, during which I caused absolutely no trouble and practiced piano every day.

Jul 12, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
postal

without a doubt... amy's lament by stanton moore & co. but with a different ending... instead of of the fade... a nice long lively solo break, perhaps some friends could jam over...

Jul 12, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Manther

Golden Girls Theme Song.

or

Youre the Best Around (Fight Song From Karate Kid)

Jul 12, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
gillespie

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring ... full choir and orchestra

I'm sure I can come up with something more current. IE : a selection that was composed after we dumped the tea in boston harbor

Jul 12, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Jitterbug - Wham

Jul 12, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

I am an excellent steel horse - rock plaza central
Say Goodbye Good - The Promise Ring
The Fool - Neutral Milk Hotel

ok now that i know what the next cd swap theme is gonna be, back to putting together this swaps list. I'm a slacker.

Oh and PS I want a viking funeral. put me out on a boat and shoot flaming arrows onto it. Or a new orleans style one. Carry me through the streets on shoulders while a brass band plays.

Jul 12, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

WHAT AN INTERESTIGN THREAD! HA!
i go with :

"i shall be released" - the version by The Band (with richard manuel
singing in that high pitched falsetto voice)

then to leave a good up beat feeling...

"feelin alright" the version by Joe Cocker & Mad dogs & Englishman...
(and have it be played...really long...! )

Jul 12, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
binary

well, i seen my biological father for the first time/last time at his funeral.... he only lived about 20 minutes from me and never bothered to be a part of my life...wtf...... then my dad (non-bio) came into the picture when i was 3........

the feeling still urks me that mr.father never said hi..... my mother would see him once in a while when she worked at sears...but he didnt bother to talk to me....wtf...

so when my mother called me the day he passed.... i sort of freaked out... i never met my father...wtf..... so i went to the funeral and seen the open casket and all be damn, i look like him.... (not 100%)..... so i walked in and went straight to the casket...hung out there for a few minutes and paid respect (i guess)...then looked at a few pics...then left...... i didnt go to the burial either........ when i walked into the funeral home, i had on a skully cap/dark glasses/leather coat..... no one could really see me..... i think i freak a few people out...

then i read the obituary in the paper....... not once did i mention the "other son" which was me...wtf...... so that sort of gets to me once in a while......

so for my song...hmmm..... would have to be that house track "god made me funky".........

b

Jul 12, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I would like Arlo Guthries, Alices Restaurant played cause it sums up life in a very pleasant manner....

Jul 12, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

It would also give me the pleasure to watch everyone leaving the funeral before it was over....cause they new I had to have the last Joke.

Jul 12, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.

Jul 12, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
njp
steam

-for that sports junkie's funeral.

Jul 12, 07 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Rottnme

Dying with Decent Music - The Paper Chase

Great song love the title and the band, not the best from a contect standpoint.

Jul 13, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
father death blues

But maybe in the Philip Glass version.

Jul 13, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

I have always liked When The Saints... (Louis style). I t captures a certain exuberance that should be part of any celebration of death.

Jul 13, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

SUGAR KANE by Sonic Youth (i thought about this years ago)

Jul 13, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
mm

I want my funeral to be an emotional rollercoaster:

"Dress Sexy at My Funeral" by Smog, to get people to smile followed by "what sarah said" by death cab for cutie, just to make certain that everyone's crying.

Jul 13, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i dont want ppl crying at mine, such a cliche, i hate cliches, so also dead iwill hate cliches, c'mon have fun, i will be free then, SMILE!

Jul 13, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: