Archinect
anchor

BSLA vs MLA

dci

I know people are very sick of the which school do I go to threads, but I'm totally stumped and would love some advice. I already have a masters degree in ecology and want to become a landscape architect. I was planning on going to a BSLA program (at Temple University) which I could finish in 3 years part time. I just got into Penn off of the waitlist which would take 3 years, full time at a much higher cost. Does my potential earning power and my ability to get hired hinge on which degree I get?

Thanks!

Jul 9, 07 8:00 pm
dci

I know this question (in a slightly different form) has been asked about BARCH vs. MARCH, but am curious if those few LAs who read this have any additional insight.

Jul 9, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

do they even let you get a bachelor's after you already have a grad degree?

Jul 9, 07 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm partial to the MLA at UPenn, but I'm an alumn. There isn't much starting salary difference (but your eco degree should help) between the bsla & m.la. There is a difference in what firms hire graduates from temple versus penn grads. a few years further down the line when you want to start your own firm, the MLA will have better prepared you, you will probably have worked on larger more complex projects (not just local projects). outside of philly, the penn degree will go further. I've meet some great temple grads - so my stereotypes are just tools to illustrate the tendencies.

with your eco background, you'll be getting more design and theory at penn. temple is more hands on and focused on the horticultural side of LA. there is a big difference on the amount of knowledge and experimentation that you'll get to do comparing being a full time or part timer. then the difference of $100k+ debt versus a lot less student loans.

it is a gamble you'll have to choose to take.

Jul 9, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
abcdefg

It depends on what firms you are looking to work for in 3 years. From my own experience, if you know where you are headed, and are talking to the right people, you can end up exactly where you want to be without $100k + debt. A BSLA from a modest school has served me well...apparently just as well as a degree from Penn, Harvard, or the like. Obviously you have an interest in ecology, but there are a lot of other facets of LA that you will be exposed to at Penn, so you may like that route. It depends on what interests you about LA...

Jul 9, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: