Archinect
anchor

Roof/widespan structures research

stelina

Hi all,

I'm trying to conduct a fairly quick image research in roof/widespan structures. I'm looking for work such as Sclaich/Bergemann, Thomas Herzog, P.L Nervi etc - lightweight glass/textile structures and systems like cable net - grid shell - cable suspended/braced - arch+truss systems and so.

I'm looking for as many examples as I can and I'd appreciate any suggestions as to which projects I should be looking at.

Cheers,
M

Jun 29, 07 3:36 pm
postal

uh oh... somebody has peter land...

put in the time... i did

Jun 29, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
postal

maybe i assumed too much though... perhaps you don't have peter land but are doing long span research for a different studio... in that case... go talk to peter land

Jun 29, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

Thanks, I'm not taking Peter yet, this isn't for school.

Jun 29, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
postal

haha...yeah, just spoke with lletdownl... my apologies for being such a jerk... it just appeared to be exactly land's assignment...

so... i guess i'd better find a couple projects to make it up to you...

Jun 29, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

haha, no worries. if it were for Land, I'd hardly call it "quick" research... :)

lletdownl was really helpful too!

Jun 29, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

have you researched 3d-h yet?

Jun 29, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

milena, a studio i took a while back was about long span structures.

we compiled a bunch of case studies of different long span structures (wood, concrete, stell, etc.) into a pdf.

i've got it somewhere on my computer @ home. i'll look for it and if i still have it i'll send it to you.

Jun 29, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

"Lightness - The Inevitable Renaissance of Minimum Energy Structures" by Adriaan Beukers and Ed van Hinte (010 publishers)

Jun 29, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

@vado - 3Dh like 3d honeycomb? That yould be a little too much... Nice idea to research, though.

@Chris - thanks a lot! Let me know if you find it.

Jun 29, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

frei otto...

bucky...

Jun 29, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, frei otto, for sure.

Jun 29, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

sounds like you need to get your hands on the "steel construction manual" by birkhaeuser and chris wilkinson's "supersheds"

offhand:

millenium dome, richard rogers
saarinen's hockey rink @ yale
palazzo del sport, nervi
royal botanical gardens, wilkinson eyre
congress hall linz, thomas herzog
kansai airport

also, look into werner sobek's institute for lightweight structures.

Jun 29, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

Ahhh

nice post. I think the most aspiring one I've seen is Jean Nouvel aka Dr. Evil's KKL. Massive roof projection that slims to a sweet sharp point.

Jun 29, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
fine line
http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10452&stc=1&d=1138414312

Alvaro Siza's Portugal Pavilion. Definitely one of the few buildings that inspires me structurally. I think it's the contradiction between a lightweight structure that suspends itself and yet sags, hinting at its collapse and hence highlighting it's structural feat. Also, the way it uses concrete as cloth. Simply Beautiful.

Jun 30, 07 5:22 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

Milena, unfortunately i can't find the document =(

but! i was able to dig up a list of some of the architects and projects we looked at. these are all wood construction.

Frei Otto - various projects exploring wooden lattice design

Toyo Ito - O Dome in Odate - glue-lam beam dome

Philippe Samyn - Forestry Center - steam-formed curved wooden beams

Niels Torp - Olympic Hall - enormous glue-lam trusses

Kajima Design - Izumo Dome - glue-lam beam dome

Shoei Yoh + Architects - Naiju Community Center and Nursery School - innovative use of bamboo

Jun 30, 07 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

does anybody know how siza's portugal pavilion was actually constructed? seems like they form the special concrete flat attached the steel cables at both ends and pulled out the temporary support and let it sag as calculated. i wonder if there are cracks?

Jun 30, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

thanks everyone!

@architectophilia - that Nouvel is amazing, but he has another overhang for the reina sofia museum in madrid, which has an intriguing mirror effect, so, to see the street below you, you would be looking up from your window. and then another museum with a similar overhang somewhere in france... perigeux... well, the guy's got a thing for it.

@ Chris - thank you for the effort! some of these are completely breathtaking, especially Kajima comes close to what I was looking for (v. similar to Sony center roof)

@Orhan - I'm pretty sure Balmond writes about the principles of that expo roof in "Informal"

Jun 30, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
blah

@Orhan - I'm pretty sure Balmond writes about the principles of that expo roof in "Informal"

Look at the June 25th New Yorker:

The Anti-Gravity Men
David Owen
The structural engineers of Arup.

Jul 1, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 

I did post the slide show from that article in new yorker couple weeks ago when article still wasn't online. i think i have to find the book informalslideshow.
thanks.

Jul 1, 07 1:02 am  · 
 · 
sayat nova

Hey everyone, i'm trying to get some ideas about fusion architecture, any recommendations? 

Mar 19, 12 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: