mdler

just curious....

Jun 28, 07 1:36 pm
mdler

yes

Jun 28, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Yes. Its called giving the job to the lowest bidder. (AKA) The cheapest labor.

Jun 28, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
outed

yes, yes, and more yes.

Jun 28, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

they don't do alot of the building on the current project i'm working
on...but they did most of the demo.

Jun 28, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

who else hates the tag "illegal alien"?

Jun 28, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i prefer 'undocumented shadow-living economy-saving human beings doing work for slave-labor wages'

Jun 28, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Some people think the pyramids were built by aliens.

Jun 28, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

'undocumented shadow-living economy-saving human beings doing work for slave-labor wages'

still trumps living in Mexico

Jun 28, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

no human is illegal

to all the people of the world: we encourage more immigration this is a nation founded on immigration never let it stop. the more we have and eventually we can buck this fascist right wing protectionist racist conservative government.

1 people 1 world, nationalism only hurts our genes

Jun 28, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

I think the people who built the pyramids took pride in their work and knew people in the future would look to them(the pyramids) and think about them(the people who built them)

the reason for immigration mostly is USA economic terrorism, with things such as NAFTA that give subsidies to farmers in the states of western europe(1st world countries) and in turn this causes the people of other areas to be undersold and not able to sell what they produce at even near the price of the incoming goods that are flooding them

Jun 28, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Jun 28, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

illegal aliens give the best anal probes, from what I hear

Jun 28, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

I don't *know* that they do, but there's a high probability.

Jun 28, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
grid

they make good tacos

Jun 28, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

grid

you win the 'funny...but true' coment of the day award

Jun 28, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
clamfan

not sure but they do steal the tools

Jun 28, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
AP

the job i'm currently on has many immigrants (european and latin american) working on it. i am not certain whether or not any of them are legal citizens or otherwise.

Jun 28, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I once did CA on a publicly-funded job where the general contractor was getting paid union scale for the labor, but in reality was using illegal immigrants with fake union cards. Somebody tipped off the head of the local carpenters union, and I think the GC is now buried under a cornfield somewhere.

Jun 28, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

My father-in-law refuses to work with Subs who use Illegals. He was building this huge development of Duplexes (everyone's gotta eat), and Border Patrol started hanging out around the job sites. In 3 weeks they pulled almost 100 guys off of his jobs. The project was a month behind and he lost his ass in liquidated damages.

It may cost a little more to build, but he hasn't lost any money in liquidated damages in the 5 years since he quit using subs who hire illegals.

Jun 28, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

who the hell would let the border police on the site? We have a few non-nationals (vs illegal aliens) on a few of our sites. Our illegal issue is something different, so we definately avoid letting 5-0 on our jobs...

Jun 28, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i dated an illegal alien when i lived in chigago. she was from macedonia, had a computer programming job, a car, and for a while a cool boyfriend. i met her on the metra train.

Jun 28, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

woah woah woah woah...

jonas77... did you say the people who built the pyramids took pride in their work?
this doesnt have anything to do with anything but im preeeetty sure the people who built the pyramids were slaves.

how many illegal aliens read archinect? dont worry i dont work for
the ins............................................................................................ ..................................

Jun 28, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i am illegal according to your definition

but according to mine no human is illegal

Jun 28, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

+2 to that j. unbelievable.

and for the record, i thought the pyramids really were built by aliens?

do we even know how they were constructed or engineered? no.

could we build them using today's technology including 3d-h? i'm guessing not.

were they hewn from the earth by monsters (intra-reality entities more likely) who were called upon by Gruad Greybeard descendants and his post-Atlantean minions?

probably.

Jun 28, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

sure jonas, no human is illegal, but their presence in certain areas certainly is.

Jun 28, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Wondering if there is an Architectural Oath regarding protecting Illegal Aliens on their projects. When I walk onto a site and see a Brazilian I can spot him clear across the job site. Most often I don't
say anything until I see the Job Super, waving his hands trying to tell them something, and then raising his voice as if it is going to make it all the more clear. I dash off a couple lines of Portugese and then everything goes so much better. Not that I know alot of Portugeese but enough that it creates a comfort zone. I did have a guy get hurt on a job and well ended up calling my wife on the cell phone so she could talk to him and figure out where the pain was. We ended up calling an ambulance and taking him to the hospital emergency room. I left the job site, went to the office picked up my wife took her to the hospital so there would be someone to translate for the hospital staff, as the young guy had been State Side for less than a month. It just seemed like the humanitarian thing to do.

Jun 28, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
binary

unions killed the system

thats why the uaw is try to suck toyotas balls to work with them.....

i'm gonna change my name to "alien b-rocka"

Jun 28, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

Hail Eris! Aaargh!

Jun 28, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

765 - are you a pope? cuz' you bet your sweet ass i am.

Jun 28, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

'Tis true, 'tis true, a Pope of Discordia, I, and a blog pirate, yaargh!

I have nothing constructive to contribute, aye!

Jun 28, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
Never trust a man who is rich in flax...
Jun 28, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

laws are made to protect the rich and laws are ignored to protect them too. go figure

Jun 28, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

looks like we've got a political theorist on our hands. i can't wait to read all the other sweet catch phrases he's ripped from blogs and protest signs.

Jun 28, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

some deep paranoia here.

i am all for immigration, illegal or otherwise, but then again i grew up with immigrants from all over the place and know it warnt never easy for them (when i was in elementary school was refugees from vietnam, by highschool they were coming from guatemala/el slavador, and in uni from sarajevo)...all my friends saw friends and family die before they left their home countries. not the same as economic refugees, but still.

anyway...there were illegal (perty sure anyhoo) wokers on one job here in tokyo a few years ago. was kinda nice cuz they spoke english.

oh, and from what i understand the pyramids were most likely built by farmers during offtime and professional labourers. they were paid for their work. that hebrew slave thing is not supported by documented evidence (yes they have documents from that time)...can't recall the details but it goes something like that. apparently some of the laborers even did some impromptu graffiti, carving things like "this bit built by kufu's gang" and so on...so their was perhaps some folks who DID take pride in building the pyramids. very likely some slavery going on at that time too, just not in the biblical sense. I also imagine it was a seriously tough job, but back then what job WASN'T tough?

Jun 28, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I think that we should allow any and every Afghani and Iraqi who wants to move to the USA do so

Jun 28, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

European "illegal aliens" design our projects. Central American "illegal aliens" build them.

Jun 28, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
do illegal aliens build your projects

...isn't that the american way for most american industries?

Jun 28, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

ah ha ha ha

http://www.wtvynews4.com/home/headlines

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (AP) - The Bay County sheriff's department is targeting illegal immigrants at construction sites.

Deputies in patrol cars pull up to the site, and those who take off are chased down and arrested.

They're charged with trespassing, for cutting through someone else's property; or loitering, for hiding out in someone's yard; or reckless driving, for speeding off in a car.

U.S immigration authorities are then given the names of those believed to be in this country illegally. More than 500 have been reported since November.

Sheriff Frank McKeithen created his Illegal Alien Task Force in April to target construction sites in this Florida Panhandle county.

Immigrant advocates say the technique is repugnant, and the ACLU says its constitutionality is questionable.

The sheriff says the raids are justified under a long-standing Florida law prohibiting employers from knowingly hiring illegal immigrants.

Jun 29, 07 1:07 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

mdler, you are going to get the 'illegal aliens' who work at your site kicked out of the country - dont forget the NSA data miners.

Jun 29, 07 3:25 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

one of our plumbers was deported to mexico...he was back after a week...

Jun 29, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

was he mexican? or was it some big mistake?

Jun 29, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

hah...he just crossed the border again...slight delay on the scheduling of the project

Jun 29, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

I once had a client specifically insist on using undocumented workers because it would save money (you know, because there was absolutely no way we could get rid of some of the $30/sf marble tile).

Jun 30, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

disgusting

Jun 30, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

how's this for a concept? allow people to trade citizenship? for example, i would trade my citizenship with someone who wants to come to the states. you get my citizenship plus my student loan debt assume any other debts plus pay me ten thousand dollars cash. in return you give me your citizenship. offer good only to desirable countries that i would move to.

Jun 30, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

sounds like a sweet deal. where do i sign up?

Jun 30, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 

who builds projects in mexico, guatemala, china, or any of those other places that are net exporter of labor? there always seem to be somebody hungry and willing to work for less the somebody else....

just don't blame nafta, 'cause they were coming here before then.

Jun 30, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i said where i would want to move to /6...

Jun 30, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

classism

Jun 30, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i would only accept a world citizenship

down with sectarianism! calibrate our shared DNA and oh ya end the corporate personhood concept and put in prison all those who act as government or do something to them to help them realize a reparation for all the tragic atrocities they commit/committed will not in the future commit.

Jun 30, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: