Archinect
anchor

Bat Sanctuary with a resort??

|l

Good topic for a undergraduate thesis??? It promotes ecotourism? People what's your take on this?

Jun 18, 07 6:45 am

does such a thing already exist? remember, your thesis is about you showing your abilities as a thoughtful, intentional, and architectural designer who has developed skills at developing and communicating ideas through design.

you don't have to invent the program! while it would be helpful to have a program that was consistent/complementary with the ideas you want to explore, the program itself should really not be the thing that you get yourself worked up about.

i'd suggest, before breezing through any more specious ideas for the most exotic program you can think of, decide what your thesis is about. what is it that you want to spend the next several months exploring? what ideas will you work through? can you, at this point, develop a short thesis statement?

once you've got that behind you, the program may just fall into place. you'll realize that "oh yeah, if i want to explore the idea that _______, then what i might design to support that exploration is ______!"

and try to make sure that what you're exploring is an ARCHITECTURAL idea or proposition. you don't need to prove that ecotourism is a viable proposition unless you're an mba candidate. you need to develop a viable (and stunning!) proposition for a built environment.

Jun 18, 07 7:31 am  · 
 · 
a-f

I guess the idea comes from this?

Jun 18, 07 8:07 am  · 
 · 
|l

there's a proposal and yes it exists

Jun 18, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 

i stand by my previous advice.

Jun 18, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
|l

thanks I am following your advice. The thing that I am doing though is I am taking the sancturay resort as an ultimate proof of a concept.

Jun 18, 07 9:06 am  · 
 · 
|l

hey steven would it help if I am more interested in processes and like taking on challenges and making design approaches that's why my prof asked me to look for an existing project and address it since he said I am good at that. what do you think?

Jun 18, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 

sounds promising. but you'll still need to posit a design approach to be tested or pursued. what will you propose to explore about design process?

in some ways you can think of a thesis as a ripoff of the scientific method: hypothesis = precis, theory = thesis, proof = project. of course it's not REALLY proving anything and isn't really pursued scientifically. but as a diagram, that's that sort of path you're on.

so you need to take a position which you will then test. is your position on design process that you can design solely through perspective views, no plans? is it that you will design using only triangles as a form language? i'm being a little facetious to exaggerate the point, but you see what i mean?

Jun 18, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

if it is, in fact, the competition that you would be doing, there's lots to work with here:

"...connects the worlds of art and ecology to encourage public engagement with ecology issues...

"...project builds on the Mayor of London's policies to raise awareness of urban biodiversity ...

"...a building of aesthetic and environmental excellence, built with sustainable materials, offering a home to bats and an educational visitor attraction for people."

so you can decide whether to attack it as an urban study, an ecological/environmental study, a project about serving two populations (animal/human), a public relations catalyst, an exploration of architecture experienced in the dark, an underground problem, ...

Jun 18, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
|l

wow those are awesome ideas you are more helpful lol than my advisor,
I like the public relations catalyst "an architecture experienced in the dark"!!!! I gotta get out more lol anyway it isnt related with the contest. I found a site where there is a bat cave and the neighboring caves population of bats have decreased since people fill the caves with smoke then once the bats are out they hit them with bamboo poles to eat them afterwards, so this one cave in a site which is going to be a resource center and a nature reserve contains the highest population of this kind of bats in the world since the neighboring bats are being disgruntled by people. So it acts as a public relations catalyst with a resort to help sustain the research and conservation area. Another thing is on the resource center backing is people around the neighborhood does not know the significance of bats in agriculture.

Jun 18, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
|l

since it is a reserve they plan the intervention to be the least even though they are proposing a beach resort, well it helps in sustaining the reserve and it attracts people since the bat cave is near the shore, the resort attracts people to gain awareness.

Jun 18, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
|l

lol well never felt this kind of relief in days lol archinect has their own lifesavers hahahahahahahaha

Jun 18, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

good so far. but now you still need an ARCHITECTURAL proposition.

Jun 18, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
|l

Isn't a Bat Research and Conservation Center with aBeach Resort a course of action which is an architectural intervention..right?

Jun 18, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

think of it in the scientific method terms described above.

...and as if it were a real project. what you've determined so far is what a hypothetical client would bring to you. what would you, their architect, tell them about how you would proceed? how would you approach such a project?

what will be the point of you doing this project? what do you hope to learn from it? (because ultimately all school is about what you learn from doing these projects, not just about you showing the faculty what you can do.)

Jun 18, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
|l

yeah I got my hypothesis (precis) and my proof (project), now the thesis:
what approach..hmmm..how would I proceed.hmmmmmm

-A research on how a resort can benefit a bat sanctuay? (ha that is so lame, well I can't base it on the bats behavior)

-To learn or to achieve an example of sustainable relation among humans and bats, what humans can do to the bats and the bats to the humans (sigh),

...time pressure

Jun 18, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
|l

a place where sustainability with the environment along with other organisms?

Jun 18, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
|l

like for example adopting the concept of permaculture, the main principle where nothing goes to waste...everything is used

Jun 18, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
|l

like for example adopting the concept of permaculture, the main principle where nothing goes to waste...everything is used

Jun 18, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
|l

Jun 18, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
|l

Jun 18, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
|l

Jun 18, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

DUDE...PLEASE....
you are stressing me out.

click...ONCE....please.

I need a valium.

Jun 18, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Jun 18, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

bat guano smells sweet

Jun 18, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I will lend you the outfit for your final crit...

Jun 18, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it may smell like sweaty balls, however

Jun 18, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

Wow I have to tell you - I think your approach to finding a thesis topic is pretty backwards. Only in that you don't want to START by saying, "I want to end up with sexy building project X, so what theoretical approach can I stuff down their throats to justify what I want to design?" WRONG WAY, TURN AROUND

The best thesis projects I've seen have been the ones that begin with a question, a design problem to be investigated, and then the project is the manifestation of the solution. It's scary to start this very important process without the end game completely defined, but that's what generates the highest creativity.

The worst thesis projects were the students that, for example, decided they wanted to design a bad-ass health club or train station, or what ever ("museum of digital puke seemed hot a few years ago), and then spent months in thesis research forcing, grasping for academic reasons why they should arrive at that solution.

You seem well-intentioned, and perhaps I am oversimplifying, but regardless, BEWARE.

Jun 18, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

"I found a site where there is a bat cave and the neighboring caves population of bats have decreased since people fill the caves with smoke then once the bats are out they hit them with bamboo poles to eat them afterwards,"

WHAT!

Jun 18, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
|l

I know how about the youth's behavior upon the environment lol thats lame

Jun 18, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i can't really offer any advice, but if i were in your shoes, i would stop wasting time on an internet message board looking for "answers." open a book, look around, see what inspires you. it doesnt really sound like your thrilled on your bat idea, it seems more like you want an idea just so you dont have to worry about not having one.

if you do stay the course, i would suggest going back to your original post (paraphrase) - "a bat sanctuary with a resort promotes ecotourism." if your choice of diction was intentional, i find this to be a very interesting statement. reread what you have written, and i believe you will find your "answers" right in front of you.

Jun 18, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: