Archinect
anchor

Best Thesis Topic

|l

Hey I am in my final year and our thesis is project based so we had to have a good building type, and I had changed my topic a couple of times because of the profs advice. At first it was about Self-sufficient housing one that would allow families alone to create their own home as a characteristic of sustainability. This topic was refused because they taught it would be too hard for me and if I will be able to make it I will come up with a mediocre solution. So I went on to my second topic proposal which is the integration of rainwater harvesting on to the design of buildings in support to the up coming pending council resolution in our city, as a solution to the impending water shortage. Although this looks promising it was declined since I would only be proposing an equipment and not a building.

So I know a lot of you are damn good out there, please tell me what thesis topics I can head on to attain a good thesis. I am willing to work really hard and my interest is on behavior, perception, building systems, design process, sustainability, urban design etc. I am from the Philippines and our city is one of those that is developing but with a lot of room for improvement.

I need some advice if you could kindly give some. Every little thing would be humbly appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 16, 07 11:11 am
caffeine junkie

topics do not matter, just make sure you jerk off the critics before you get started, it makes the process much easier...

pick something your passionate about, stick to what you believe and allow your critics to help you find your way...avoid one liners or "solutions" you will never really fix anything, someone will always have a reason why you failed...visual masturbation is key...so just jerk them off and let them blow hot air in their post coital moments...it will go much better for you...

Jun 16, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
|l

God I so need something today. Thanks caffeine junkie ill make sure ill be jerking them off...

Jun 16, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
|l

Help I only have 36 hours.

Jun 16, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

no-one knows what kind of program you are in, what uni, little information has been provided, your background, your goals, your....

i mean i could easily suggest doing a home for a taxidermist, a trapper, and a butcher, each of whom have either nothing in common or everything in common. how about a memorial to victims of pedophilia? how about a sustainable sports stadium in downtown minneapolis? how about what is the present impact of global warming on urban development in china, and what does that say about the future expansion of the g8 as it relates to the new orleans rebuilding efforts?

Jun 16, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

Thingness of things

Jun 16, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

lasers

Jun 16, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it looks as if you are interested in sustainablity etc. how about this. why not an education/visitor/ center for a weltands, desert, rainforest whatever and tie that typology, program and its precendents to sustainable architecture. laser optional.

Jun 16, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a pitched roof? that's not very modern :P

Jun 16, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well its got be sloped at least that much anyway.

Jun 16, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

a plant where the 'cake' from the solid waste treatment plant is turned into fertilizer. (we have such a plant here in louisville, but i'm pretty sure no architects were involved.)

Jun 16, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

I do hope jerking off means something different in the US, but I doubt it! I've actually had quite a good thesis idea to do with paedophilia, but I'm shying away for fear of lynching. Politics, eh!

Jun 16, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
|l

Are floating communities good?

Post-war Rehabilitation for Children?

Redesign of skyscrapers in line with the public around and inside?

Creating a space on Urban city place? Making an adoption or growth like a leaf growing in a stem successfully surviving with the other leaves?

The perception of people on places in relation with the past? what building would be best for this?

Attitude as Barriers?!?! I'm getting desperate

Jun 16, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
|l

How hard is it to look for a building...Im just tense I guess

Jun 17, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 
binary

hey.....

can always resort to the

"urban context" help to rebuild detroit by using farms

or....

{re}-devel-OP your SIG[in]HT

haha

Jun 17, 07 1:25 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

space dementia

Jun 17, 07 1:31 am  · 
 · 
leandrop0x

Pare ko! I'm from the Philippines too. Graduated 2005. What university program are you on? It helps to let us know what program... I'm from UST and most of the time, thesis students do their thing with the intent of producing a postcard-image-rich building. Often, jurors are frustrated when it comes to finding depth and context to their solutions.

Tama sila when they say that the thesis should be 70% architectural and 30% social. If you're based in Manila, I'd say the biggest problem we have in the city is the lack of affordable and livable high-density housing. Transportation is a bitch too... we have the lines in with the MRT and LRT, but transitions are terrible...

Whatever it is... don't end up doing a building with a fancy postcard perspective and form, without any context or real-world underpinnings...

See a need... fill a need bro.

Jun 17, 07 2:06 am  · 
 · 
mdler

modernism...a dish best served cold?

Jun 17, 07 2:13 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

saan nila napupulot yang mga percentage na yan?(70/30)...hinda ba pwedeng 100% architectural?

Jun 17, 07 2:21 am  · 
 · 
|l

Tatawanan mo lang ako taga dabaw 'to, UP

Jun 17, 07 2:22 am  · 
 · 
|l

i justify m nga kung 100 %?

kelangan ko na talga ng topic in 24 hours kung di patay ma drodrop ako

Jun 17, 07 2:23 am  · 
 · 
|l

24 HOURS!!!!!!!!!! oh god oh god

Jun 17, 07 2:24 am  · 
 · 
|l

What do you think of Government Centers which have local and national offices,that has recreational facilities with a daycare center for the employees along with a breast feeding center ?! it was suggested but it seems fragmented

Jun 17, 07 2:34 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

program yan...concentrate ka sa thesis

Jun 17, 07 2:39 am  · 
 · 
|l

eh gusto ng prof nang bago building kaya ayong kialimutan ang mge theories

Jun 17, 07 2:51 am  · 
 · 
waterhouse

A multimedia technology studio/research center with artists' residences.

Yep, that's a good one.

Jun 17, 07 2:55 am  · 
 · 
|l

I like it. yeah it is good but the need isn't existent

Jun 17, 07 2:57 am  · 
 · 
waterhouse

"Humbly appreciated" my ass.

Jun 17, 07 3:11 am  · 
 · 
|l

I do, it is a building upon which there's freedom of expression, lol and your ass is humbly appreciated lol thanks

Jun 17, 07 3:14 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

tingin ko balikan mo yung tu-to-o mong interest: behavior/perception/urban design...yung mga sustainabilty/design process etc i- secondary mo na lang...ma raming precedent

'wag mo masyadong isipin muna yung programming...tulad nung eksample mo kanina (breast feeding: masyadong specific)...program na yon...masyadong specific at detalye...

tsaka, bat parang hindi ata kampi yung mga professor nyo?...kung nahi-hirapan ka talagang mag-isip ng thesis, hindi ba pwedeng sabihin mo na nahi-hirapan kang buo-in and mga ideas pero ang mga interest mo ay x,y, and z,...hindo ba dapat tumutulong sila instead na i-ba-bagsak ka na lang bigla?!

so, 'wag ka masyadong mag flip out!!!

Jun 17, 07 3:19 am  · 
 · 
|l

bukas na at lol ang original ko na proppsal ko eh yung self-sufficient housing na hindi lang self help may permaculture pa, pero baka di daw ako maka gawa so.

gusto kasi nila nang bagong building lol gusto mo chat tayo lol matutulungan mo talaga ako bukas na to at sa wednesday na sisimulan ang paper email ka nalng kung asan tayo magchat kung gusto mo.. heheh salamat

Jun 17, 07 3:23 am  · 
 · 
|l

pang anim ko na siguro yung topic lol na iprinesent

Jun 17, 07 3:25 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

me topak ata yung mga professor mo eh?

Jun 17, 07 3:33 am  · 
 · 
|l

'di naman. Iba iba pa naman ang gusto nila lol pero gusto ko lang talaga ng mabuting thesis

Jun 17, 07 3:38 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

loko lang...na sa sa iyo yung thesis mo...ano yung prblema nila sa "self sufficient housing"?

Jun 17, 07 3:51 am  · 
 · 
|l

baka di ko daw magawa kung mag hahanap ako nang bago process sa pag gawa ng bahay. Para method of construction na wala pa sa dabaw, meron na kasi dito yung modular at prefab. Tapos ayaw din nila ng housing kasi kung project based ang thesis ikukunti daw ang archtictural consideration eh king may bago aking process na mapropropose di mas madaming considerations, pero baka di ko daw magawa at kung makakagawa naman ako baka mediocre daw ang labas

Jun 17, 07 3:59 am  · 
 · 
|l

gustong gusto ko pa naman iyung self-sufficien housing ;(

Jun 17, 07 4:02 am  · 
 · 
|l

Ano sa tingin mo may maibubuga?

Jun 17, 07 4:02 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

eh puta wala pala silang tiwala eh!!!...problema nila 'yon...(oh shit ,galit, sorry)...so i-prove mo sa kanila na ang bawat housing hindi necessarry na umasa sa infrastructure...and daming precedent, tingin ko...anong klaseng mga duwag na professor yan?!!

so, ano mga idea mo sa "self sufficient housing"?

Jun 17, 07 4:03 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

"bahay kubo"

Jun 17, 07 4:04 am  · 
 · 
|l

na yung user na mismo ang matututo na gumawa nang sarili nilang bahay. hindi isang community kundi isang pamilya, tapo i-aadopt ko yung concepts sa permaculture na self-sufficient di lang sa structure kundi sa agriculture at culture din. Ini-isip ko parang ephemeral pero yung permanent parang mobile structure pero permanent yung parang mamomodify. Plano kung maghanap ng construction methods at iaadopt oh babagohin para makasabay sa environment ng dabaw. Kaya lang collaboration ito eh sa ibang experts gusto nila kasi yung research ne tipong may respondents.

Jun 17, 07 4:08 am  · 
 · 
|l

lol para sinum-up nang bahay kubo yung idea ko ha lol punta ka na lang sa advancedarchitecturecontest.org, diyan ko kasi knuha plano kong gawing motivation yung contest

Jun 17, 07 4:10 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

okay naman yung idea na yan ha?!!!!

gawin mo!!!gusto ko yung regionality idea...gusto mo specific sa davao di ba? ma-i-iba yan...ilan kilala mong nag design sa davao?

tignan mo si gunnar asplund...pinag aralan nya yung region nya at nag design sya based sa region nya...opinion ko lang...

Jun 17, 07 4:15 am  · 
 · 
|l

nang self-sufficient?? wala pa sa pag ka alam ko, bago naman daw to sabi nung isang prof pero mahihirapan daw ako

Jun 17, 07 4:23 am  · 
 · 
|l

Ho idol mas may naitulong ka pa kaysa say prof ko

Jun 17, 07 4:24 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

mahirap ba?...tingin mo?...

Jun 17, 07 4:24 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

teka...'wag mo mo akong tawaging "idol"....hindo ko trip na sa itaas...isang cad monkey lang ako...

Jun 17, 07 4:26 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

taga autocad lang ako!!!\

Jun 17, 07 4:28 am  · 
 · 
|l

oo nga cad advocate din ako hehehe

Jun 17, 07 4:28 am  · 
 · 
|l

ini-expect ko nang mabutihan na research alam kung may sagot din dito eh so nadismaya lang ako nong ang mga prof ko sinabi nilang di ko kaya

Jun 17, 07 4:29 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

eh kailangan eh?!!!di ba?....hangang me pera na tayong mag hire!

Jun 17, 07 4:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: