Archinect
anchor

bike theft @ UW

holz.box

apparently is on the rise.
cops wouldn't release official no.
locked bike up for 30 minutes, came out it was gone. so sad.
wasn't fancy either, just a run o the mill 6 y.o. bike.

just a warning for rationalist et al...

May 30, 07 12:07 pm
WonderK

oh no! don't tell rationalist that! She's enjoying it so much!

She tells me that this happens at USC as well so I'm going to have to get some industrial strength locking equipment. I will have to get panniers just for all my chains, lol.

May 30, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

we still hang bike thieves in Colorado.

Sorry for your loss.

May 30, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

: (

I love my new baby bike. I want it to stay MINE.

I did read about the incidence of bike theft up there a little bit ago, on the UW transportation page. They mentioned that something like 90% of the bikes stolen were those using only a cable lock. I've got the U-bar + cable going on, working on the pricipal that I don't need to make my bike theft-proof, I just need to make it look harder to steal than YOUR bike.

If you commute by bike regularly, have you considered getting on the waiting list for a bike locker? How likely is it that you'll get one if you sign up anyway?

May 30, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
w3

that sucks holz.box. sorry to hear it.

i've thought about this particular scenario quite a bit the last few weeks - i plan on riding my bike a lot when i get to UW in the fall. i didn't know about the bike locker situation...i'll have to look into it.

i'm guessing they wouldn't look to happily at me wheeling my bike into architecture hall to leave at my studio space each day rather than lock it up outside. that's prob. what i'll try to do though.

May 30, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

w3: bike lockers. It seems like by far the best option for bike commuters, if you can get one. I'm going car-free when I move, so I'm definitely going to try to.

May 30, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
w3

thanks rationalist. have you gotten on the waitlist for any yet?

May 30, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

no, I started filling out the app, and at the bottom it makes you certify that you are a student registered for the current quarter who currently commutes by bicycle. So I figure I have to wait until I've registered, but once I do that I'll definitely sign up.

May 30, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

every bike ive ever had has been stolen

May 30, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
w3

yeah, i just read that. the question then is can we get on the list before we have a seattle address? i was told that i could begin registration june 18th (or somewhere around there - assuming i can find proof of my measles vaccination) but i won't have a seattle address until late august at the soonest.

oh well - i like to walk too. no matter what - i'm not driving my car.

if i don't get a locker this is what my bike will look like

May 30, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

hahahaha!

I don't even get to register until September, because the School of Art won't tell us what to register FOR, and there are several competing versions of our course requirements out there. So I have to wait for orientation a few days before school starts.

I've got one of these, so that not only should they not get my bike, hopefully both wheels will still be there at the end of the day as well.

May 30, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
w3

yeah, technically i won't register until orientation either - but i think the system will let me register for some courses electronically after the 18th (the letter i got from the registrar when they received my deposite told me the 18th - the arch. dept. told me orientation). so, in theory i might be able to sign up for a class - then use that to get on a wait list for a locker sooner. it shouldn't be a problem to adjust my schedule as necessary during orientation in the fall. but of course it's all in theory - we'll see what actually pans out.

May 30, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

I just moved to new york after living in seattle for nearly eight years and I have to say that seattle is an extremely safe city. It's actually like a bunch of small cities wrapped into one. if you are going to live in or around the u-district, downtown, fremont, etc., hit me up and i can share with you my favorite places to bike and have coffee.

May 30, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

dude, spill it here! I'm looking in the fremont area, actually may have found a good lead on a place right by the PCC market there (woohoo for being centrally located!).

May 30, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

fremont is a great place to live and you can take the burke gilman trail to school. the trail actually runs along lake washington, so you'll get a really great view of the puget sound--space needle, waterfront, gasworks park. even though i lived in the udistrict, but i went to fremont for drinks because the crowd is older and more relaxed. i'm not gonna lie, the food in that area is not great. but you have to go to two places: beth's cafe and agua verde. ok all this talk of seattle is making me homesick. oh yeah, the gym (IMA) at UW was just finished a year or two ago and it's huge! double height climbing wall!

May 30, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, there was a bike shop up the street from SC that we always figured was just selling our own bikes back to us... since they bought and sold used bikes, there could have been a middleman, or they could have stolen the bikes themselves.

May 30, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Probably selling you UCLA bikes, and vice versa.

May 30, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

rationalist -
fremont's where it's at.
easy access to all points of the city. avoid ballard like the plague. cap hill is a pretty quick bike ride to udistrict as well.
also, don't live in the building that PCC is in... the Epi. it's overpriced, we found a bigger and less crowded place for 60%.

and the bars in fremont aren't ok. i tend to go elsewhere unless i don't want to take a cab/bother with a d.d. mostly meat-markets, especially triangle lounge and the ballroom. though i have dropped serious coinage @ red door & brouwers. in fact i should probably start getting discounts or 2 for 1 deals.

May 30, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I typically took the bike into studio with me - classmates certainly didn't mind, though it was probably breaking rules.

A funny (sad) story: I read of a bike commuter who was not allowed to bring his bicycle inside his suburban office building. They also would not provide bike racks outside. They did, however, have a free parking space for every employee. So Monday mornings he would drive to work with the bike on his car rack, then ride it home that night and the next morning ride in, lock the bike to his bumper, and ride home again. Friday he drove the whole shebang home.

Ricockulous rules.

May 30, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

That is pretty bad.... my building has a bike rack in a not-so-safe location (around the back, where a theif could saw at your lock for a good 20 minutes uninterrupted), so they let me wheel it inside. But then, since this is a new thing for me, I'm pretty sure my bosses regard it as a novelty that I'll get tired of in a few weeks. So we'll see how long they're happy with this arrangement.

holz- I'm primarily looking at house-shares, not apartments, so it's highly unlikely I'll end up in that building. Thanks for the warning though! I suspect the lead I've got is on one of those last few hold-out single family houses on that street. It's at the top end of my price range, but that location is pretty damned hard to beat.

Brouwers was pretty cool. By "meat-market" do you mean "full of men", or "full of gay men"? Because for me one is great, the other disappointing...

May 30, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

no, those meat markets are on cap hill (man-ray, the cuff)

i mean, it's full of students and late 20-something guys on the prowl. usually in packs.

May 30, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

my coworker had his bike stolen in front of our building downtown. we have a nice safe bike locker but i guess he didnt want to use it.

i hearlots of people lock up around federal buildings (at least the one next to us) since the security is so tight

i dont think bike theft is too bad around here,

May 31, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 
knock out

this is scary...

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=t8XxcOj3Seo&mode=related&search=
]link[/url]

(first post, hope it works)

Jul 7, 07 2:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: