Archinect
anchor

would you pay $26,000 for this...

mdler

May 25, 07 2:36 pm
xtbl

is that the smart car?

looks kind of cool, especially for tight urban environments.

still, 26 g's...? =\

May 25, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i can't imagine pulling up next to a denali in one of those and trying to see around it to make a right hand turn on red...

May 25, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

strawbeary, i can't imagine being in a collision with a denali in one of those things!

May 25, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I can't imagine a need for a Denali...

May 25, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, that too, garpike.

May 25, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

hope that's CA prices. i paid a lot less than that for my civic hybrid and it's a lot more car.

May 25, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I think that price is high for Anywhere, USA.

May 25, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

those are CA prices...my boss test drove one yesterday

I wonder if you could put a set of 24"'s on it?

May 25, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

obviously, the US isnt too serious about it at those prices

May 25, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I love the smart car...but for that money, I'd rather get this...

May 25, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I can't imagine a need for a Denali...

When you have one of these!!!

May 25, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

But they sure do make parking a breeze...

May 25, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ahahahaha!!! that's awesome chili!!!

May 25, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i dont understand why people are so crazy about electric cars. where do you think electricity comes from?

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/us-united-states/ene-energy
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/electricity.html

last time i checked, burning coal and natural gas werent too good for the environment either...

· 
Ms Beary

i guess you could see UNDER the denali

· 
Chili Davis

"What a beautiful prototype!"

"Prototype?"

May 25, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

paying 26Gs for this is equivalent to paying 5Gs for segway...talking of segway i present this:

May 25, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

xacto, localized pollution is much easier to control.

Chili, that's hilarious!

May 25, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

true, but burning coal is absolutely terrible for the environment. electric cars, in my opinion, are a wasted effort. lets try and find a real solution to the problem.

May 25, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Segways make me giggle.

Many of the police officers that patrol downtown Nashville patrol on those things. I crack up everytime I see a heavy-set cop patrolling Second Avenue. They look absolutely ridiculous.

May 25, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

xacto, can you make electricity in other ways? Yes.

Can you make burning fuel not burning fuel? No.

May 25, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

that's a train wreck waiting to happen... love to see her fall

May 25, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

We should start building 20+ story buildings...

May 25, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
xacto
http://www.safecom.org.au/images/coal-pollution.jpg

you can make electricity in other ways, but that link above shows that renewable resources make up the smallest percentage of electricity generators. link also shows that in 2030, we will be burning almost 15 as much coal, but production from renewable sources will be about the same.

do americans have more oil than the middle eastl? no
do americans have more coal than the middle eastl? yes

May 25, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

sorry...that link was for an image...the link im referring to is two posts above

May 25, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

a car for ants?

May 25, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

xacto, so what are you saying? Don't find a solution for greener electricity?

May 25, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
+i

i dont encourage this... but this was under "smart car tipping"

May 25, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I heart that car. I also heart (rumored) diesel Minis.

I don't get to spend money for a while though, so no go for me.

May 25, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
+i

i would buy one. to drive around in the city.

· 
xacto

no, im saying that the push for electric cars isnt a solution for greener energy. its a solution for economic independence.

im all for sustainable building and a cleaner environment, but electric cars doesnt really do anything until massive windfarms or something similar are built.

· 
+i

well in that case, leed doesnt really do anything either then. (see the living building challenge: http://www.cascadiagbc.org/the-living-building-challenge/)

i mean the whole hyper-critical cynicism of green design is just annoying. you have to start somewhere. you start making a demand for something and they will supply it.

May 25, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ok. I see.

So you are talking a solution for today.

May 25, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

im not critical of green design. i just wouldnt say that electric cars are part of it.

May 25, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

garpike +i, im not trying to pick a fight. i just think that it makes more sense to invest in the producer of green energy before you invest in the consumer of it.

May 25, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

How do you feel about hybrid cars?

May 25, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
+i

so you should supply it before you have demand?

May 25, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

What if its top was made of super-high-efficiency photovoltaic fabric, which powered the car. That would be cool. Probably wouldn't work with the monster wheels though.

May 25, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
+i

like a big version of the solar-powered backpack ? :) that could get a little warm...

May 25, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
+i

and i dont think anyone is trying to "pick a fight" about a smart car. smart cars are efficient... and theyve been around for a long time.

May 25, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.terrapass.com/
May 25, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i think hyrbid cars are great, and the best we can do until we develop a new source of energy. you are always going to need fossil fuel cars or something that can be replenished quickly for long distance driving (takes time to charge a battery). Hyrbids are the best mix between local and long distance driving. electric cars seem like they are too much of an investment for too little of a return. i think research money should be spent elsewhere.

+i, im pretty sure there is a large demand already. owning an electric car is like owning autocad 2007 and still having a computer from the 1970s.

May 25, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i+, they are efficient because smart cars dont pollute. but the electric plants that produce the electricty are not efficient.

May 25, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

they are efficent because they more or less reduce the amount of dead load used (size of vehicle) to transport the live load (people)

May 25, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

What are you people going on about electric cars? The Smart Car is diesel. There are a few in my neighbourhood - I even see them on the highway on occasion.

They must be a hoot to drive, I'd think, as long as you weren't going too far or had to take something with you.

Smart cars DO pollute - I think they have a 40bhp diesel engine. 40 horsepower ain't much, but it's diesel so there's more torque than in a regular gas-powered car.

May 25, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

right. i was focusing about fuel source, but obvioulsy that factors into the equation.

also, it doesnt really matter how efficient they are if no one buys them. i see a lot more hybrids than smart cars.

May 25, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

okay then, sorry for looking like an idiot...but i still dont think electric cars make sense.

May 25, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

xacto, would you rule out a hybrid existence? That is to say both electric commuter vehicles and hybrids both on the road? I understand what you mean about fast refueling, but what about commuter vehicles with predictable use? Charge at night, use each day - similar distance each day.

· 

how bout this 3 wheeled scooter?

60-70 mpg and 50-60 mph... and only around $6,800

· 
garpike

xacto, you see a lot more hybrids for reasons are much more complicated than simply "no one buys them". Apples and oranges...

May 25, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: