Archinect
anchor

voronoi tesselation

cj w.

came upon this terminology while browsing AA's prospectus... and somehow it interests me with its potential.

all i know is its an algorithm.. but can someone explain to me in simpler terms (not in 0 n log n) how this works? wikipedia provided a very PhD like explanation, as such i thought some of you guys (perhaps those from AADRL) could lend me a hand... how is it used or how do we activate its use? how does it work / function??

thanks in advance

May 21, 07 11:09 am
vado retro

it draws flashing details.

May 21, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

there are several easy ways to implement, the easiest I know of is to obtain a copy of Rhino4, which has Voronoi 2d/3d as a standard operation. otherwise try theverymany.net or reconstructivism.net for rhinoscripts (2d and 2.5d) and more info than we've got time for here.

essentially voronoi operates on a number of points in 2d or 3d space. for each two points, a vector is drawn half-way between them in a direction perpendicular to an imaginary line connecting them directly. So, draw a number of points, then connect them to eachother. At the half way point of each line, draw a line perpendicular to the first line. Erase the connecting lines, and then trim every vector until you get a trendy 1st year project from every avante-garde school in existence. It's inversely related to Delauney triangulation.

I'm looking for a link I found awhile ago with a very good graphic demonstration.

check in soon

May 21, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 

Easiest way to understand it is to play around with this.

May 21, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Rhino 4 has 3D Voronoi built in? Sweet!

May 21, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

here you go:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/chew/Delaunay.html

graphic, interactive, simple.

use this, and imagine it in 3D, and you've all set.

May 21, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Beat ya, mister T.

May 21, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

sevensixfive.....damn you're quick

May 21, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 

I'm unemployed.

May 21, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
filo

otherwise

http://www.cfg.cornell.edu/~erin/erin/poly.html

and you even can see a 3d example

May 21, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

765 - how's the job search going?

it sucks being without a steady flow of ca$h, but I'm enjoying my time on the breadline working in my garden, reading archinect, studying for the LARE, and writing stuff that has nothing to do with veronoi tesselation or algorithms.

instead of hijacking this thread (see I'm not that anti-generative after all)

let's pick one of the following threads to resurrect:

Looking for work? - mostly internship discussion

Job search - a resume question

-unemployment mostly bored archinectors talking bout not having work... this is the one I'm tempted to bring back...

ok, back to the algorithmic beat of veronoi...

May 21, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Just scheduled an interview, thanks for asking, tk! It's funny you mention not writing about v-noi, because that was going to be next on my list.

And as long as we're linking threads, check out the 3D rhinoscript (not created by me) that I lnked from this other thread: link

May 21, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i think the voronoi is using the point set configuration to define certain neighboring characteristic, the lines are just to visualise its varying relations. And that procedure share similarity of an organic city growth.

May 21, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i never use rhino, i think is a plug in.

however, u can throw a number of points in space, make it random or sort in any order u like, then to trianglute it, then to compute dual and u get the voronoi.

May 21, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yea, things like voronoi tesselations are really useful for cost-cutting (i mean value-engineering) efforts.

May 21, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

thank you all for your responses! it still seems a bit complicated to me however i will try to comprehend this complex system based on the links you guys attached!

is it a purely random system though? like out of nowehere?

should there be any other suggestions or advice or explanations its really really appreciated! keep em comin' thanks!

May 22, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

a voronoi tessellation is based on a point cloud or just a set of given points in space. it basically creates lines that are perfect bisectors between the set of points. so if you have 2 points (in 2d space), there is one line that exactly in between the two points. etc.

check out this site for voronoi and it's analog, the delaunay triangulation which optimizes triangulation of a point cloud.

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/chew/Delaunay.html

May 22, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh and look up soap bubbles as they relate to voronoi systems

May 22, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

You late, ACFA, been linked twice already :)

Yeah, it's just a way to express a relationship between a set of points, the points can be random, or ordered, or based on any system you want. Try a grid of points on that applet linked above and you get a square lattice. Try triangles and you get a hex lattice, ain't geometry cool?

May 22, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

VORONOI algorythm in action? here at the very many

May 22, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

thanks for all the posts guys!

just wondering about 3D voronoi now.. is there a way of comprehending it? or does it really need complex scripts? any information about this one?

thanks in advance! :)

Nov 18, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
minimalicious

I heard the dean of one pretty renowned school say he's really tired of seeing it. I'd guess it's quite common, and the results quite predictable. There are a few people that i went to school with that where only concerned with the cool look it offered. This got a little old to me in the short time of hearing about how genus it was, that they could hit that little rhino icon.

So i'd guess, if you are dying to use it, have a reason to use it. Also, be prepared to see it only as a tool to move forward with.

Nov 19, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

The Voroni script is part of a plug-in from Rhino labs that can be found here:
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/PointsetReconstruction.html

I'm tired of seeing it too. Witness this bit of idiocy from the like of Marc Newsom

http://www.dezeen.com/2007/01/04/sneak-preview-newson-at-gagosian/

Nov 19, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

office da's voromuro is a nice example though. i thought it was done particularly well.

Nov 19, 07 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Use the qhull and make a rhino button to implement it instead of that pointset reconstruction thing from McNeel.

Search "voronoi" here to find the way.

Nov 19, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

hi all
thanks for your comments and links! i willl try to implement it and tinker with it as well..

is voromuro different from voronoi? or is it just nomenclature differences?

"So i'd guess, if you are dying to use it, have a reason to use it."

- well, it seems to be a fad lately (computational geometry driven designs) but i was planning to use it in a project wherein seamless connection between galleries is relevant, and i thought of using the 3d voronoi to create these cellular spaces to create a varied environment (not just an expanse of flat ground) plus the nature of voronoi and its presence in natural forms forms a strong link between the subject of our project and its use.

"Also, be prepared to see it only as a tool to move forward with."

- yes i hope i can use it just as a tool, but care to elaborate on the move forward portion?

thank you all!

Nov 19, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
karchitect

Don't miss this one..

http://madeincalifornia.blogspot.com/search/label/TMD_thesis

Nov 19, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

i saw the marc newson design - i would say that as an extrusion of a voronoi it seems a bit simplistic. my POV though... but as one of the comments said -

"His designs are really amazing, you say ” its juat a simple 2d extrusion” but who thought of doing a simple extrusion?? not you. He did, so why not use an original idea."

anyway, i was just thinking if 3d voronois can be used to enhance the spatial experience. i was thinking of infusing this into the design for our project. we have used it as a contextual tool for deriving spatial regions and with the 3d aspect, to enhance the experience further...

Nov 19, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...connect the dots la la lala...

Nov 21, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
Voromuro

is a made up word by office dA. From my initial observation, I don't see voronoi. It could be a reference to the distributed cell, and not the hardcore math that people hold on to so dearly (but probably shouldn't).

Voronoi is the name of the man.

Nov 21, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

"...It could be a reference to the distributed cell, and not the hardcore math that people hold on to so dearly (but probably shouldn't)."

mind if i ask what u meant with "but probably should't"? I just wana be
clarified...

do you mean to say that people should not hold on to the math of voronoi so dearly?

or do you mean to say that the term voromuro should not be referenced to the distributed cell since it is not...?

thanks!

Nov 22, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I just mean that the Voronoi Diagram is a means of spatial distribution. It has no structural significance and in that sense is in no way pure. So it's open to "our" (designers and such) interpretation and manipulation. If you don't like a point here, move it there, etc.

For example, I am willing to bet Marc Newson adjusted and adjusted until he found something he liked. He probably didn't distribute points randomly and accept the outcome. That's a bit of a simple example, but hopefully I made a point.

Anyway, I didn't mean anything big by my parenthetical statement. Just don't get swept up in Voronoi to the point it becomes a means to and end. Play around with it. Check out Andrew Kudless' various Voronoi projects.

To go back to your original post, I think the Wiki entry is a fair description. It's up to the user to interpret it's use in design. No one is telling us what to do with it, which may be a good thing.

Nov 22, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

In the end just remember that it is you, not some formula or script, that makes and decides the final design.

This is a good thing, but I think too many get swept away in thinking that there is a certain validity in the process because you are incorporating something that you didn't create.

This is just a short cut to doing things the Gehry way (just making it all up from scratch). No better, no worse.

Process is process, some are good and strategic, some just random sketches and intuition. In the end, it all comes down to the final product.

This is assuming we are trying to create architecture, of course. If not, it doesn't matter. Personally, I think much of these processes (such as that A. Kudless link) are quite beautiful.

The problem comes when people declare that this is architecture as it is. Sticking a transparent guy in a rendering doesn't make it architecture, imho.

Nov 22, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

voronoi just like any other math functions, u can apply it at any stage of design for distribution, texture, modelling...

however, the least sophisticate way to do it is to make ur building looks like a voronoi function...

we see lots of sophisticated special effect they use voronoi noise, and "is there, but u don't see it"!...

so when do architects stop representing and being more mature and sophisticated?

Nov 22, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

that's been the continual problem - cool process and cool images does not necessarily make cool architecture

it's easy to be seduced by some of the gorgeous diagrams, but much more difficult to transform them into architecture

Nov 22, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: