Archinect
anchor

Remember that Winnebago we were going to get?

WonderK

....some time ago, we were going to get an Archinect Winnebago and drive all over the country taking pictures and visiting each other?

Well it won't be a Winnebago but it will be a moving truck, and it will be departing from the Ohio River Valley and going west to LA in early to mid-August. Is anyone else going roughly in this direction, interested in caravaning? Long drives suck unless you have a buddy to go visit that giant Prairie Dog with....

Apr 12, 07 12:54 pm
liberty bell

On a related note, I need someone to drive an upright piano from PDX to IND. Any takers?

Apr 12, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

no comment

Apr 12, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

NO! There will be no tumbles/mdler shenanigans in the cab of this moving truck. Not even in the back, I would prefer you not throw off the center of gravity in the thing....

Apr 12, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

if tomorrow goes anything like today, may i stow away in the back?

Apr 12, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Absolutely. You could probably use a vacation. I'll even poke some air holes for you, lol.

Apr 12, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
n_

if you decide to take the southern route (a la I-40) and stop in nashville, let me know and i can give you the grand architectural tour of my little city. believe it or not, there is some pretty interesting stuff going on here.

and i'll cook. duck. steak. lobster. whatever you want.

Apr 12, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles/mdler shenanigans???

what are you insinuating, dubK?

Apr 12, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You know, I thought you changed your name.

I like Nashville a lot. And seafood.

Apr 12, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

lb, do you need a license to drive an upright piano? Also, is this piano a manual or automatic transmission?

Apr 12, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'll make you seafood if you bring me down skyline chili.

Apr 12, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i think you should make a skyline chil - seafood gumbo

Apr 12, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I will bring Skyline Chili to anyone who wants to make me seafood gumbo or to anyone in general. Perhaps I will distribute Skyline in random places throughout the country and see what happens to it.

Apr 12, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK,

I have about 20 cans sitting in the back of my car

Apr 12, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yay! That will be awesome. I love it. Skyline in view of my new skyline....how poetic....

Apr 12, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i just had a silly mental image of wonder k wearing a tutu and becoming america's skyline chili fairy.

Apr 12, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Years ago I was traveling with a friend and we ended up behind a
Winnabloto....and he comented, "I remember when Campers, ment
people."

Apr 12, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Actually to me, Campers mean shoes. Very happy shoes :o)

n_, we won't get into the nuances of my wardrobe here. I do think you are onto something though....

Apr 12, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

we are architects for Christs sake, we should at least get an Airstream

Apr 12, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

WK - PDX may be out of your way but you are always welcome to drop by – I'll have a gourmet chef whip up some fab-u-lous food while you are here. Skyline chili – can't say I've had it but it sounds wonderful!

chili...I hear that upright pianos have an automatic transmission and they get really good gas mileage. They recently replaced the hemi with a hybrid:) Go figure.

Apr 12, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
n_

skyline chili is heaven and a cincinnati favorite. it's served on spagetti and has a hint of pumpkin spice.

my firm has a chili cook-off in the fall time. last year, i added half a bottle of vodka to my chili for flavor. soooo good. this year, i plan on making skyline. maybe i'll even wear a tutu for the event.

Apr 13, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 

ok, another trip happening: In mid-September (I think, this is subject to change, basically in time for the UW school year), there will be a rented mini-van heading from Los Angeles up the coastal roads to Seattle. The passenger seat is available to anyone willing to split gas, and maybe help with some unloading at the end of the road.

Apr 13, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Start date for the above trip is tentatively penciled in at September 17th.

Apr 16, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

is this Winne water tight?? You could make a swing over here - I could treat you all to a barbi

Apr 17, 07 1:04 am  · 
 · 
mdler

n_

I sometimes add a half a bottle of vodka to my Cherrios in the morning

Apr 17, 07 2:30 am  · 
 · 
n_

that's what i like to hear, mdler.

Apr 17, 07 4:26 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

I don't like vodka, rum is where it is at.

Seattle? I think thats near me

*hides under bed*

Apr 17, 07 4:34 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, guys, I am bored to tears today, so I am bringing this up again.

My cross country trip is now less than a month away. I have a travel buddy, I have a truck reservation, I have meds for my cat....and on the other end, I have an apartment and a roommate. So I'm pretty excited!

Now I am looking for recommendations for the following:

Food...lunch or dinner places in:
-Little Rock, AR
-Dallas, TX
-Albuquerque, NM

Lodging...places to stay in:
-Memphis, TN
-Abilene, TX
-Anywhere along I-40 in AZ

(I realize the chances of anyone actually having lodging recommendations are slim but I thought I would throw it out there.)

***Also I need a count of how many people along that route want me to bring them chili.***

Jul 9, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I was actually going to test some of the meds on WonderKitty tonight. It will not be pleasant as I already tried to sneak it into her food and she did not respond well. I am a little worried about the trip still....it's a long time for her to be in the truck, and we're going to be stopping and going and what not. I am wondering if I can't get some sort of special tote carrier for her..... just treat her like a chihuahua and take her everywhere with me.

Jul 9, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ooooh, I like that second one. That's a great idea. I am leaving August 5. We'll email....

BTW, is that Mies in the first picture? She's ridiculously cute. :o)

Jul 9, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i've mentioned this beofre, but dubK, you should be aware that you'll be traveling through Stuckey's Country, and if you want to be a really gracious guest...you'll bring Pecan Log Rolls for everyone.

and while you're at it...Don't forget to stop at Love's because everyone Loves Love's!

what's not to love?

Jul 9, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
truck stop info

, who needs a cb anymore with websites like that? loves was always my favorite

i also recommend the best western hotel in gallup, new mexico

and enjoy amarillo...hint, it's the place that smells like cows

Jul 9, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
n_

DubK, I just got your email! I'll email you later tonight or tomorrow when I'm not working my little heart away.

Jul 9, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, thanks everyone. Not sure about that Pecan Log Roll. I try to avoid anything that comes in "logs".

Love's looks good....never been to one.

Thankfully, I am bypassing Amarillo completely, or at least that's the goal. I am going south of that, and I sure hope that flooding in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas is done by the time we pass through....or else this trip could get messy...

Jul 9, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

and yes, i do recommend the showers at loves.

Jul 9, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK

I DONT recommend listening to 'learn Spanish' tapes on your trip...you will fall asleep

Jul 9, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

mdler, that's hilarious that you bring that up, because I actually downloaded some free "Coffebreak Spanish" Podcasts off of iTunes for this very purpose. However, the guy teaching it is Scottish....not kidding, he's got the most amazing accent.....so maybe he will keep me awake? Ha, I probably shouldn't risk it.....

Jul 9, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK

on my second day of the drive I left Oklahoma City (scary place, btw) around 6am. I was still very tired having driven from Cincinnati the previous day...

thought that I would listen to the Spanish on my Ipod (I was moving to LA and needed to know Spanish). About 15min into the trip, I was practically passing out at the wheel

Jul 9, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

i love this thread - one because its a great topic, and the idea of a bunch of architects in a bus is well cool. But also because WK in her wisdom started it on my birthday a couple of months ago - whoohoo!!

Jul 9, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
simples

once i drove a 15 passenger van full of jamaicans from nashville to atlanta...it was a caravan, and it was in the middle of the night...i started falling asleep around chattanooga, and this lady offered me a large ziplock bag full of grapes so i could stay awake...it worked!!!! So, my recommendation is: lots of grapes...

Jul 9, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: