Archinect
anchor

Sol Lewitt dies at 78

Janosh
mdler

'He particularly disliked the prospect of having his photograph in the newspaper'

right next to a picture of him in the newspaper

good job NYTimes

Apr 8, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Because many of his works involved instructions to other artists telling them how to go about creating one of his pieces, I suppose his work can still be created after his death???

Apr 8, 07 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
AP

that's quite a succession plan, mdler.

Mr. LeWitt gently reminded everybody that architects are called artists — good architects, anyway — even though they don’t lay their own bricks, just as composers write music that other people play but are still musical artists. Mr. LeWitt, by his methods, permitted other people to participate in the creative process, to become artists themselves.

rest in peace Mr. LeWitt.

Apr 9, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i eschew publicity also. of course, i am a nobody.

Apr 9, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
mdler

vado

you are a somebody in my world

Apr 9, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

well said AP.
I think mr. lewitt's expression of 'good architects' is inspiring!

Apr 9, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
bntz

i went to see some of his work at the DIA Beacon museum in upstate New York, some really great stuff, nothing original everything reproduced from past exhibitions. And a guy at the museum told us about his "interns" few draftsmen and a guy specially working on sharpening pencils all freaking day. How about that?

Apr 9, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

my first published piece was an article co-written with eric chavkin in 1981 in 'la architect'. it was called "post modern post mortem" it introduced a work of sol lewitt 1,2,3 and talked about short comings of post modern movement in architecture via morphosis 2,4,6,8 garage addition. i will republish it next summer.

Apr 9, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: