Archinect
anchor

Gilmore Girls: Propaganda for New Urbanism

ichweiB

so my wife watches Gilmore Girls and because of this, I myself have had the pleasure of watching many of the episodes. Anyhow, has anyone ever noticed that it seems to be a perfect example of what New Urbanists suggest to be the model for American communities: everyone walks, a variety of program such as mom and pop shops, town meetings, etc...

just saying

Apr 4, 07 11:50 am

mjh00c - I thought so too but more in regards to Prince Chuck's Poundury and the recreation of the village setting.

Apr 4, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
betamax

that show is the devil and must be destroyed. and why the hell does everyone talk so damn fast on that show? and yes...it does seem to incorporate all the elements of new urbanism, as well as the huge rift between classes

Apr 4, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

That's brilliant...

"learning from Stars Hollow" will be the next great theoretical work. (not that I have EVER watched the show, lol)

Apr 4, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Apr 4, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I've never seen the show, but is it set in a small town?

People walking, small local shops: those things DID exist before New Urbanism, I'm told...

Apr 4, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I will admit it, it is a secret pleasure of mine. I absolutly love the show, mostly because I think and speak in much the same manner as they do.

I was just thinking the other day about how strange it is they are always walking. Doesn't it get cold up there? I do wish small towns could really flurish like that, but I don't think they can. Big business sets in, and it falls apart, or...

Most small towns consist of poor people, with a low standard of living, and little education. In order to have the money that the cast of GG seems to have, they would have to work in a large city, which none of them seem to do. Stars Hollow looks like a wonderful place to live, but I doubt its reality.

Apr 4, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

citizen, what's remarkable is that is a contemporary setting vs rural small town. They have the mom & pop but they are striving business more typical of cities its uber suburban

Sarah the weather thing is a complete fluke because they are suppose to be in Connecticut

Apr 4, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

as we all know the big cities have mom and pop stores too..

Apr 4, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
ThEcOuG
Apr 4, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

'Most small towns consist of poor people, with a low standard of living, and little education'

wow, is this true in America??

Apr 4, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

it does exist but it definitely isn't to be taken as a broad generalization

Apr 4, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

for the love of god, theres a big difference between flint michigan and the rest of the 'rural america'

Apr 4, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

well, i live in the third biggest city in the US and i can indeed testify that there are no poor people, the standard of living for everyone is high, and everyone i know and meet has a superfluous education..(that means a lot for those of you in small towns)

Apr 4, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I didn't mean they were starving, or stupid when I said poor with little education, and I didn't mean that large cities were the opposite.

What I meant was that most people in small towns make between 15 and 30 thousand annually, per house hold. My dads house hold brings in 27,000 a year; my husbands family brings in about the same. His parent never went to college, but they aren't dumb. All I was really saying is that based on the clothing, the upkeep of the homes, and the cleanliness of the town, the standard of living is higher than what you would find in a town of equal size.

I don't know if that clarified anything, but I am not saying there is anything wrong with small towns, I love them, and I grew up in one.

Idle - you live in Houston?

Apr 4, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

in many cases small town means- domestic abuse, under or unemployment, crystal meth addiction, alcoholism, ignorance, stupidity, teenage pregnancy, malnutrition, childhood obesity, smoking related illness and death, intolerance, too much television, old lonely people, alienated youth. in other words the same problems as big cities without the mass transit.

Apr 4, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

mdler - I worked for those gals... and that living room is fabulous!

Apr 4, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

You should see all the poor people with a low standard of living and little education here in my neighborhood in downtown LA...

Apr 4, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Kudos, Vado. Well-said.

Apr 4, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

i don't think big H is number 3

Apr 4, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I was thinking it was in area, but not in population. I could be wrong.

Apr 4, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

yeah..i don't think i'm dumb enough to try to argue against how much space houston takes up.. but we were making generalizations about people so that's what i was referring to.

Apr 4, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

And here was me thinking that the Gilmore Girls was that show with the upper middle class mother and cute daughter who also played a hooker in Sin City?

Apr 4, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

1. New York
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Houston

Apr 4, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you aint talkin about the Gary Gilmore gurlz are you????

Apr 4, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

was that guy in the Koresh house?

Apr 4, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
dia

My God. Discussing the Gilmore Girls on archinect. What next? Coronation Street? I dont watch the show, but my partners sister does, and the small amount I've seen it I have been driven nuts by the fast interruptive talking. Most of American TV like this today, is bascially 'plot driven by miscommunication between characters'. I am away for one day and this happens.

Apr 4, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Apr 4, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

next discussion: 'Central Perk' cafe in 'Friends'

Apr 4, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

NEXT discussion: grey's anatomy.

Apr 5, 07 3:56 am  · 
 · 

regarding the gilmore girls' connecticut:
maybe they simply haven't yet revealed that this is sci-fi.

it's an example of new urbanism projected 25 years into the future, after global warming has significantly affected the climate and connecticut is in perpetual early summer.

cars are less common because fuel prices are exorbitant, the big3 automakers have tanked, and people have adapted to a pedestrian way of life.

people are not overweight and don't smoke because they've learned the dangers of fast food and cigarettes and they all exercise and watch their diets.

have you noticed that, in their town/at their time, there is no war going on?

Apr 5, 07 8:00 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

They have mentioned some current events. They tend to stay out of politics, but one episode did discuss that Kevin Federline was a stabling force in Britney's life...who knew. And its not driven by miscommunication, but by life. THey only talk fast cause they do, doesn't have much to do with story line.

I can't beleive I am such a dork.

Apr 5, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 

ok, so, for my sci-fi scenario to work, maybe kevin federline will still be around in 25 yrs?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. sorry, nevermind.

Apr 5, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey guess what. its a freakin tv show. just like yeah the couch at the central perk is always available and they live in three thousand dollar a month apartments with dead end jobs and pet monkeys.

Apr 5, 07 9:25 am  · 
 · 

I like SW's perception....25 years in the future. Well with K-Fed's recent "buy-out" its all very possible. I hope there was a clause that he couldn't create music, or worse attempt to

Apr 5, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
work for idle hands
fast talking

'plot driven by miscommunication between characters' sounds a lot like my office actually...(but there's never a convenient resolve at the end)

Apr 5, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: