Archinect
anchor

2007 pritzker prize

brian buchalski

i'm surprised that it's almost april and nobody has tossed up a thread speculating on this year's pritzker. so with that in mind...does anybody have any suspicions as to who it will be?

Mar 28, 07 4:36 am
Medit

I'd say Toyo Ito or Jean Nouvel, but after the last year's winner it could be anyone (a new face probably would be much more interesting)
I guess there are tons of excellent, semi-unknown (on a world scale) architects around the globe...

Mar 28, 07 4:42 am  · 
 · 
bucku

not to say that they will, but do you think ds+r will gain enough recognition to be in the running?

Mar 28, 07 5:19 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I would guess that the shortlist will contain several of the usual suspects, none of whom will get the award.

Mar 28, 07 5:50 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

ds+r don't have enough built work. Ito is a pretty good guess.

Mar 28, 07 5:55 am  · 
 · 

every year i propose williams/tsien and every year they don't get it.

[sigh.]

link to previous winners: http://www.pritzkerprize.com/Laureates.htm

Mar 28, 07 7:54 am  · 
 · 
marl

coop himmelb(l)au maybe?

Mar 28, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Predock has been on a serious roll

Mar 28, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
ferd

brian mackay-lyons

Mar 28, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 
darthlook

Ya, Brian MacKay-Lyons does do great work - he is in the same realm as Glen Murcutt.

Mar 28, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
kpcases

Peter Zumthor ?

Mar 28, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
kpcases

Peter Zumthor !

Mar 28, 07 10:10 am  · 
 · 
outed

i'm going to say that zumthor would be a great and deserving winner. might be tough to have two architects from the same country win in such a short time frame (within 5 years of h&dm winning).

realistically, i think a winner from japan is long overdue. ito will get the nod.

speaking of which - whoever wins will be announced tomorrow 3pm est, so get the predictions in now...

Mar 28, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

it's interesting that there are some new jurors this year... Ban, Piano and Mori
http://www.pritzkerprize.com/full_new_site/news.htm
Whatever that says...

Mar 28, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Scorsese has been overlooked for too long.

Mar 28, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I would love to see Zumthor... Although I don't thinks its gonna happen.

My money is on Nouvel, although I'd never put real money down after last year...

Mar 28, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Btw, Goodfellas was a better film than The Departed. I'm just saying...

Mar 28, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

goodfellas dragged for too long though.

Mar 28, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
sammyboy77

Ragging Bull was better than both of those movies.

Mar 28, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
el duderino

Richard Rogers of the UK
Becomes the 2007
Pritzker Architecture Prize Laureate

Mar 28, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
el duderino
emaze

my vote is for Brad Pitt...

Mar 28, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

i'll second brad pitt, but i would really like to see coop win it. they have a lot of stuff going up right now that seems really spectacular. i saw a lecture recently by williams/tsien and wasnt overly impressed. they do ok work though their material studies are interesting. i just dont see them as the caliber as some of the other winners. nouvel is a good guess too. wasnt he a big guess last year along with ito??

Mar 28, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

never mind. i guess its rogers...

winner?

Mar 28, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

wow, that's the most ghetto website i've seen in years.

Mar 28, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
coedname-X

they announced the winner, pompidou center. twice. first renzo than richard. r,r,&r but i think rem koolhaas is gonna win. he is the best. he is andy warhol's brother. wait he has won it b4.
my vote is for hassan fathy. good die 18 years too soon.. who else is a dead winner?
if they don't give it to a chinese architect next year , dollar will go down and that will make things a lot harder.
it is all wait and see, for me, for now..

Mar 28, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

well, Rogers, not exactly a semi-unknown architect, but well deserved I guess..
(I thought he had already been awarded with the Pritzker..)

Mar 28, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Blue202

definitely well-deserved. he does fantastic work.

Mar 28, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared
NY Times article
Mar 28, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

my analysis:

one of two things - an American will win (they've only had one winner this decade vs. multiples each previous decade). Which would open the doors for Williams/Tsien, Holl,

Mar 28, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

or

A representative from France, Portugal and Mexico to make join the nations with multiple winners. This could include jean Nouvel aka dr. evil (France); Edourdo Souta de Moura (Portugal) and Legoretta (Mexico). It is likely that they could represent the winners for the next 3 years.

Mar 28, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

that website is fucking horrid.

and this is the most prestigious award in architecture?

Mar 28, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

architecture not web design thank god

Mar 28, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I keep waiting for a dancing banana and lightning bolt GIF to load

Mar 29, 07 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
Mar 29, 07 12:33 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Rogers. OK. Fine. Lloyds is ace. The Welsh parliament building is great. Everybody loves the Pompidou...

...but that WTC proposal?

Mar 29, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly
architecture not web design thank god

I just find it utterly embarrassing. "Look mom, here's the website for the award I won..."

It looks like a 14 year old's AOL homepage.

Mar 29, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

Predock lectured at Philadelphia Univeristy a few weeks ago... His work is brilliant.

Apr 8, 07 2:20 am  · 
 · 
jsml

Steven Ward!

I commend you.. and i also second

"every year i propose williams/tsien and every year they don't get it.

[sigh.]"

Williams/tsien. i have been in two of their buildings now and fall in love each time i experience them. it seems as though their work will be able to stand the test of style and time.

Apr 8, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: