Archinect
anchor

How feasible is a scooter in SF?

supersupao

I thought this would be a great money saving mode of personal transportation out in the bay area.
does anyone know:

- if scooters are allowed on the highways? any limitations with engine size etc..

- are there a lot of scooter thefts out there?

Mar 27, 07 9:10 pm
WonderK

Good question. I don't think they are allowed on the highway. Someone confirm?

I am looking at getting one too! Which kind are you looking at?

Mar 27, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

though i live in SF...i cannot answer these questions right now
-for the most part i dont drive anywhere
-i ride my bike down nob hill to the transbay terminal - then take a bus across the bridge to berkeley where i work...i really havent seen any scooters on the bridge...i have seen motorcycles
-i do however see scooters all over SF but not on the highways cause im not usuallly there...ill take a look when im on the bus tomorrow morning
-as for thefts im sure there is - but i dont know anyone w/ a scooter
-my bike has not be stolen...knock on wood!

Mar 27, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
supersupao

havent figured out which one to get actually. I just got the idea today when all the bikes came out to play (it was 70 degrees in NY today).

what are some brands to consider?
and whats the best place to get one? just walk into a motorcycle dealer?

Mar 27, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Stellas are great. Just like Vespas (made by the same company actually) but cheaper. Also Lambrettos, but those are more pricey. They both look good.

Mar 27, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

used to be (when i had a scooter way back in '91) that a 250 + could go on the highway because it could actually get to highway speeds and had enough weight that you could still steer it.

a 150 is too weak, too light, and the steering goes floppy over about 40mph.

but i was in louisiana. should be easy to check the legality of it on the california div motor vehicles website.

whether it's wise in sf, i'll have to let someone else respond.

Mar 27, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra
chupacabra
Mar 27, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

CA has two different classes of scooters- mopeds and 49cc/less motors (with a max speed of??? about 35mph) and above... for anything with a larger engine/faster speed, you'll 'need' a motorcycle license (though a motorcycle learners permit works too). those larger scooters can attain 55mph or greater are allowed on the freeways, but why you'd want/need to jump on the highway on a scooter is beyond me. If you're planning on long distance commuting, get a real bike that can hit 100mph in 2 seconds. you'll need the power/ performance on the highways...

happy trails!

Mar 27, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

in indianastan you see guys ridin scooters who have lost their licences due to dwi's.

Mar 27, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Actually, Stella doesn't make the Vespa look-a-likes anymore. There must have been a lawsuit.

Hey WonderK, you should get a sidecar so I can go everywhere with you. I'll wear Red Baron shit, including a long scarf.

Mar 27, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

scooters are eminently doable in SF, but i would recommend getting one with an automatic transmission. shifting on those hills might be a b--ch.

now: as for brands:

lambrettas were made by innocenti, but production ceased in 1972.

stellas are not made by piaggio. essentially they are fake vespas, made to elicit vague references to 1960s vespa gs models. a strange analogy, but it's kind of like a pair of fake all-stars from target...you can tell right away it's not the real thing. (sorry wonderk, i'm biased...!)

vespa...is the real thing, baby. while stellas, yamaha vinos, etc have metal bar frames and plastic bodies, vespas utilize a monocoque steel frame (think the whole-body construction of a volvo). as a result they are heavier and more expensive...and much much more stable in turns and at speed. my 150cc vespa lx150 can do an austin freeway, no problem. whereas a 150cc vino (if they make one) would twist unacceptably with any gust of wind. i think CA laws would allow 150cc on the highway, TX does...but not 50cc.

within the vespa line there are the prototypical vintage px150s and the more modern, stylized lx50/150, gts, etc.

but even vespas will get 60-70 mpg and just try stealing one...they're heavy.

or that ruckus...those things rock, the only honda scooter i would actually buy.

Mar 27, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
supersupao

just looking on ebay, i found a number of no name scooters that sell for pretty cheap....names like wildfire, tank...avanti
anyone have experience with these?
my guess is that these are just imported from asia where scooters dominate the streets
anybody actually own one of these?
vespas are awesome but i cant justify the money and will always be super paranoid leaving it unattended.
also, what would you say to be the standard useful life of a scooter in terms of mileage?

Mar 27, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

ochona! Thanks for the info. Everything I knew, I knew from a salesperson. D'oh!

So do Stellas get better gas milage since they are lighter? Actually i would prefer that. I don't really *need* torque, per se. My disclaimer is that I drive a turbo right now so this will be a real lifestyle adjustment for me, lol.

Mar 27, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I agree with Jason, those Honda Ruckus' are awesome. I have seen quite a few of them in Denver. They are like the Hummer of scooters.....if thats possible. They are the only ones I like that aren't Vespa's or other retro brands

Mar 27, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I forget which model, but some Vespas aint sold in CA

Mar 28, 07 1:08 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Vespa Shespa. I'm cheap. I want that Ruckus!!!

Mar 28, 07 1:38 am  · 
 · 
mdler

the thong caused quite a ruckus

Mar 28, 07 1:41 am  · 
 · 
chad_c

Are there any scooters with 4-cycle engines and catalytic converters? is there such a thing? Even though they consume little gas, the older 2-cycle engines are horrible on air quality.

Mar 28, 07 3:00 am  · 
 · 
ochona

the ruckus rocks...i'm thinking about getting one to complement my vespa. screw cars, scooters are more fun.

vespa lx, gts, and gt models all are 4-stroke engines and all have catalytic converters. the px150 line (those which are not sold in CA) are two-stroke.

i don't know if they sell stellas anymore. i would say, however, that if you are looking for something that is not a vespa, but kinda looks like one and is lighter, try one of the yamahas or hondas. less obviously copies of a vespa px, and lighter/cheaper/shorter. and made by more reputable companies...my wife killed a no-name scooter during her motorcycle riding exam.

Mar 28, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, ochona, I know you said Lambrettas weren't made anymore, but check out this page from the dealer here in Cincy that I will probably buy my scooter from:

MetroScooter

Their first page says they have signed on as the first US dealer to carry Lambrettas....is this another knock-off company? So what is original and what is a knock-off? Which ones are all steel again? Stellas are bad, you say? Why?

I am so confused. Can somebody make me a flow chart or something, lol?

Mar 28, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

*shameless bump*

Ok, so the ruckus is too manly for me. I want something more metro, maybe something, uh, bisexual, lol.

What are other options beyond the retro-type, potential knock-off scooters?

Mar 29, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

WonderK- I just emailed you one. The Honda Metropolitan looks pretty nice, and cheap enough that one could actually buy it from the dealer instead of used.

Mar 29, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

WonderK, go to a Honda dealership and check out the Ruckus, much less manly than the Big Ruckus...I think you may be surprised.

Mar 29, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

or just go to the honda website, they've actually got a lot of scooters, several of them around the $2k pricepoint.

Mar 29, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

yeah, but you will not know what it is like until you sit your ass on one.

Mar 29, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok, I emailed you back. I like the one that you were looking at but the others were a bit too angular for my taste.

I'm also curious about storage space on these things.

I'm going to chase you back and forth between the scooter threads now.

Mar 29, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

haha. Also, are there any reputable manufacturers besides Honda, Yamaha, and Vespa? (I'm looking for a 49cc, so no suzukis)

Mar 29, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Bisexual. Don't think I missed that.

Mar 29, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ha ha, baboomba you should come scooter with me sometime!

Mar 29, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Are you asking me on a scooter date?

Mar 29, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

still havent seen one on the bridge!!!...my guess i that if i dont se one after a week then they are not allowed on the highway
-i would also have to agree w/ whoever said "you shouldnt have a small vehicle w/ no power on the highway" youll get crushed

Mar 29, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

anyone here drive a 49cc? If so, is it adequate, or are you frustrated with it? I mentioned a scooter as a possibility to my bf, and he is now insisting that I should get the motercycle license so I can get a 125cc or 150cc instead of the 49cc I'd been thinking about. Any thoughts?

Mar 30, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: