Archinect
anchor

Late Night Thread

Philarch

Discuss any topic, but only during the hours of 9 pm and 5 am (or anytime for those that have stayed up through those hours)

I'm so tired of working in the office on schoolwork past midnight... someone give me some motivation.

Anyone see the job listing for Plan B Interior designers? "Seeking CAD Operator/Architect". At least they're honest about what some of us can be perceived to be - CAD operators with bigger debt. Not that there is anything wrong with being a CAD operator, of course.

Mar 22, 07 12:08 am
WonderK

I just watched an episode of South Park where the whole class had head lice. But on one head, the head lice became aware of the idea that "their world" was "alive" and reacting to them, and tried to get rid of them. Basically it was like the movie "The Day After Tomorrow".

The ending was particularly wretched.

Mar 22, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 
bucku

so far this evening i have smoked one black and mild, had one and a half starbucks frapps, one rooster booster, one sweet tea, and some water.

Mar 22, 07 1:04 am  · 
 · 
bucku

has anyone seen "300" yet?

Mar 22, 07 1:04 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

haha, wonderk... never watch South Park, but that one sounds funny. Only if I could get a TV in the office...

I wish I could get starbucks right now... as luck would have it, the office coffee machine broke 2 days ago...

Nah, I didn't watch 300 yet, but it does look good. I did read that article about how Iranians are united in their hatred towards it though. Gotta love the amount of influence the entertainment business has over relations between countries.

Mar 22, 07 1:17 am  · 
 · 

I've never practiced architecture in an urban setting, I somehow feel I'm missing that. Having everything at your "fingertips" versus jumping in your car to get it.

Mar 22, 07 1:22 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

The reason I am still awake is because I have just discovered, through mind-numbing counting and an Excel spreadsheet, that I am now finished with IDP. I thought I was before but that was just a false alarm. Now we have the real deal. I am glad that I will never have to count this crap again that's for sure....

Mar 22, 07 1:30 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Watched "Fast Food Nation" tonight with the missus. My lord, was that a terrible movie. I enjoyed the book quite a lot, and I'd encourage everyone to read it, but save yourself the time and money and don't bother with the movie. Terrible.

I think now that I'm just about done on the internets, I'll go play a bit of NHL '94 (SNES!) and hit the sack. As per usual.

Mar 22, 07 1:32 am  · 
 · 
bucku

congrats wonderK. how long was that haul?

i watch super sixe me a couple of weekends ago. that was life changing. the closest closist thing to fast food i eat now is chick-fil-a.

300was awesome tho.

Mar 22, 07 1:55 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i lived in the suburbs for the beginning part of my life, till i was 18. i cant imagine even living in a "neighborhood" anymore, let alone working in the suburbs.

Mar 22, 07 1:56 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Congrats WonderK! How long did it take for you for you to be done with IDP? Can't wait til I'm done...

Architechno - By everything do you mean in terms of resources or in a cultural sense?

Mar 22, 07 1:59 am  · 
 · 
mdler

WonderK

nothing better than hooking up with somebody for a night...the next morning you go to take a shower and find a bottle of that perscription shampoo for lice in their shower

Mar 22, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 
bucku

walk slow and drink lots of water

Mar 22, 07 4:00 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

everyday i get up between 300am and 4am and go to the YMCA. on mondays and wednesdays i go to the Y twice a day. on saturday and sunday i go to Y to do Bodypump. you know what? i love it.

Mar 22, 07 4:06 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i dont know if i have ever "woken up" at three or four. hopefully i will never have to. i like working out though.

Mar 22, 07 4:11 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i once got the clap from a late night thread

Mar 22, 07 7:01 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

congrats wonderk! (it's 5:04 am here - damn.....)

Mar 22, 07 7:04 am  · 
 · 
n_

The New York Times reviewed the movie 300 and had this to say in their first line:

“300” is about as violent as “Apocalypto” and twice as stupid.

Mar 22, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just read an essay by jonathon franzen while nursing a glass of savignon blanc listening to ludwig van's pathetique.

Mar 22, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm working on the t-shirt line...... i swear, it's a beatch to get local artist to support and get free marketing out of it...

no t.v. for me..... and no lady friend so the movies are out of the picture.....

i wouldnt mind getting to the gym more but i hate driving now.... trying to walk more...

and i'll be 31 this may and i'm still broke....wtf......

Mar 22, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Comedy Central on in the background (waiting for Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert to come on) while nursing a glass of Harvey's Bristol Cream.

I already used up my bottle of 10-year-old Ardbeg scotch while compulsively checking the M.Arch. comisery thread. :(

Mar 22, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Went back to the apt. for 4 hours of sleep after last night and been at the office ever since... I can't wait til Sunday. Maybe I'll celebrate by going to AC to gamble.

cryzko, a website yet?

vado - I drink wine straight from the bottle. I have to do with coke and coffee until this damn thing is over though.

Mar 22, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

"The New York Times reviewed the movie 300 and had this to say in their first line:

“300” is about as violent as “Apocalypto” and twice as stupid."

believe it if you want, but it was great. the action sequences were awesome and the cinematography was incredible.

by the way:
http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/ebertandroeper/
two thumbs up from ebert and roper

Mar 22, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
binary

phil.... website almost up..... need a few more pics of 2 shirts..... but there's a few that i need to retake but i'll leave them up until then..... next will be the jewelry line....... then a few more shirt designs.... but the site should be up in a week or so......

b

Mar 22, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Agreed, bucku. At least about the cinematography and overall appearance of the film. The plot/dialogue was pretty silly. I actually giggled at it quite a few times.

I posted on Thread Central already about how much I enjoy a film full of nearly naked totally ripped men.

And, I added "laconic" to my vocabulary because of it. What a delicious word.

It's 12:20 AM and there is thunder out - for fear of my laptop getting fried, I'm signing off now.

Mar 23, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
bucku

also, there were two very hot ladies for all of us gentlemen who dont necessarlily enjoy half naked men in red underwear.

Mar 23, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Woo hoo! I'm allowed to post to this thread again.

Yeah I'm not too excited about the IDP thing. Mainly because when I get my final papers everyone is going to be like, "uh why don't you take your exams". In due time.

I also want to thank lb for the word laconic.

I should probably go to bed.

Mar 23, 07 1:23 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Go to bed.

(how's that for laconic?)

Mar 23, 07 1:33 am  · 
 · 
bucku

ha ha. i had to look it up. thats funny garpike...

Mar 23, 07 2:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

although its 5:18 i am posting anyway as i am two and half hours early due to a combination wierd dream/noisy cat/ rain storm/mind invaded by the depressing reality of life. the coffee tastes good and the sound of the rain is quite wonderful...

Mar 23, 07 5:17 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i slept horrible all night, was up most of it. why? a little happy hour turned into me and 2 friends splitting a bottle of jack with some cokes. it's not the jack that has me jacked up, but the cokes. i shoulda been on this thread i guess instead of lying here dreaming up ways to call in today...

Mar 23, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

vado - more poetic than usual I see

Finally done with my project for final review tomorrow morning (yes, on a saturday morning). This must be the first time ever that i'm actually getting sleep before a crit.

Quick story - I once asked my girl friend at the time to give me a call before a crit to wake me up. She forgot to call, but I got up anyway. When she called 2 hours after the crit all worried that I didn't get up, I lied and told her that I didn't wake up, failed studio and had to repeat a year all because she didn't call. When she started crying I told her the truth. Of course I felt really bad, but I coudn't stop laughing. She then gave me the you're-gonna-get-it-you-sonuvabitch-chuckle while wiping away her tears.

Mar 24, 07 12:54 am  · 
 · 
bucku

thats great. except i really know someone who slept through a crit. he missed his time but still showed up before the day was over and got to present. lucky prit.

also, i like this thread, so i am bringing it back up.

Mar 24, 07 1:00 am  · 
 · 
binary

yeah...trying to figure out how to get a dwg into photoshop .... while keeping lineweights thin so i can fill......

i swear.... i cant do it all ...... i'm getting burned out

b

Mar 24, 07 1:05 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i had that problem and figured it out quickly. i started my own plot driver setting with the line weights, etc. i.e. red=.2500 instead of default, then all you have to do is print to win2pdf, or winpdf. its a free download. print to like a 1"=20' scale and they turn out right, or just play with the linewights in cadd and they will turn out great.

Mar 24, 07 1:07 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

The transferring from AutoCAD to any adobe program seems to always throw some sort of issues into the mix. I have resulted to keeping as many design drawings being produced by my hand until I start creating construction drawings that are to be presented before I take the task of conversion. I agree with bucku...the best way is to set you own plot settings, and then modify in illustrator once it is imported. There is something about the architects hand and the line weights it can produce. I have yet to find a program that can match our god given and taught skill.

U of d 4 life

Mar 24, 07 1:20 am  · 
 · 
bucku

true. but i cant stand having to redraw something over and over again by hand when i can just save the file as a second drawing and edit portions of it. but hand drawings are always beautiful.
on another note...
i had my first "real job" interview today. i feel old(er)

Mar 24, 07 1:22 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wooo hoo! Celebrating grad school acceptances!!! A wee bit tipsy!

Woooo!!1!!11!

Mar 24, 07 2:30 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

Its about 1:14 in La La land and just got back from the bar... I likey this thread...

WonderK congrats on finishing IDP... What a milestone. I don't even want to get started on how fucked up the program is and how hard it is to finish it in a reasonable time without cheating...

Cryzko, no worries being almost 31 and still broke! 33 and still broke but having fun...

One more vodka and tonic and I sleep...

Mar 24, 07 4:22 am  · 
 · 

Phil - good question I suspect both; granted at the time my mind was really focussed on resources

Mar 24, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
sheri25

Funny naughty quotes

Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
Woody Allen

"Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night."
Rodney Dangerfield

"There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Mercedes-Benz 380SL."
Lynn Lavner

"Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope."
Camille Paglia

"Sex is one of the nine reasons for incarnation.
The other eight are unimportant."
George Burns

"Women might be able to fake orgasms.
But men can fake a whole relationship."
Sharon Stone

"Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men.
Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."
Tiger Woods

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch"
Jack Nicholson

" Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives,
but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is."
Barbara Bush, former US First Lady (and you didn't think Barbara had a sense of humor!)

"Ah, yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to
rip out a man's genitals through his wallet."
Robin Williams

"Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place."
Billy Crystal

"According to a new survey, women say they feel more comfortable undressing in front of men than they do undressing in front of other women. They say that women are too judgmental,
where, of course, men are just grateful."
Robert De Niro

"There's a new medical crisis. Doctors are reporting that many men are having allergic reactions to latex condoms. They say they cause severe swelling.
So what's the problem?"
Dustin Hoffman

"There's very little advice in men's magazines, because men think,
'I know what I'm doing. Just show me somebody naked'."
Jerry Seinfeld

Mar 25, 07 3:07 am  · 
 · 
bucku

in another thread someone mentioned an abortion thank you card or something. i had a friend that used to work part time at a cookie grams place. he occasionally got me to call in to the highly conservative secretary and request a cookie with "thanks for aborting" or "thanks for the blow job- sorry about the shirt"
i even had to justify talking to the woman and made up a whole background about meeting a woman and it just wasnt the right time.

Mar 25, 07 4:23 am  · 
 · 

i went to bed at midnight and was back on archinect by 7am. i don't think i'll ever get to really participate in this thread.

Mar 25, 07 8:18 am  · 
 · 
bucku

is there a way to actually participate in this thread?
i pored resin for the first time tonight. i dyed it a bright orange to give it contrast with the surround structure that will encapsulate it. it looks really neat. it has given me an unrighteous headache tho.

Mar 25, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i got bit by a brown recluse spider on my leg while sleeping the other night. i am fearful that i may have a wooden peg leg later this week.

Mar 25, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh holy crap! I posted on this thread the other night, too? Honest to god, does anyone know of a "drunk post alert system" that I can employ to keep me away from the computer between the hours of 2 am and 7 am on the weekends? I didn't even remember this one!

Next thing you know someone's going to tell me I drunk texted them.

elvischyld> Get thyself to the doctor. Promptly. That scares me just thinking about it! Please do not let the flesh on your leg decompose in front of your eyes!

Mar 26, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 

dubK - you texted me about waterproofing; just thought I'd let you know

I've officially begun the "return to work mental resolve" otherwise known to everyone as packing. I've not done much, because I still can't believe I'm heading back already...kinda bummed kinda thrilled at the thought of being able to architect vs sit at home in boxers chattng on archinect (go mdler you rock!)

Mar 26, 07 1:10 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

WonderK, I think if you put a really complicated password to sign on to Archinect and/or computer it can act as a "drunk post alert system." On another note - I would love to be in your shoes (professionally/academically) to be done with IDP and going to grad school. Hopefully in two/three years... Congrats again.

sheri25, hilarious quotes. I would add some, but can't think of any right now. de Niro's quote makes me think of how sometimes (always?) women dress to out-do other women, not to look good for the guys. Like we're really that hard to impress...

Steven, you're not serious about following my arbitrary rule right? I just like how people talk about different random things late at night. I wake up mentally at around midnight, which explains my insomnia.

Can someone explain to me what post-neorealcrapismist's first post means? Am I out of the loop on this one?

Mar 26, 07 1:11 am  · 
 · 
garpike

See! I am glad I left that party when i did.

Mar 26, 07 1:12 am  · 
 · 
n_

WonderK, thanks for your concern about the rotting flesh on my leg. The doctor checked it out and it doesn't need to be amputated! No peg leg for me.

Also, I just sold my broken iPod on eBay for a share chunk of money. I LOVE eBAY.

Mar 26, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

eBay, eh? I have my old iPod on Craigslist right now, haven't gotten any bites yet. I did sell my bike in two hours yesterday though. Craigslist rules!

elvis, I am mighty glad your leg will live.

architechno, I don't even have your phone number. I wouldn't put it past me though, I am fairly resourceful when I am wasted.

This is a good thread. I am drinking wine right now to celebrate the fact that I just made my last payment on my undergrad school loans. I am really trying to tie up all my loose ends so I can make a clean break, assuming this whole grad school thing works out for me.

Bigger and better loans, here I come! :o/

Mar 26, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: