Archinect
anchor

sustainable landscapes

xtbl

do any of you guys know much about sustainable gardens? i ask because there is an unsightly patch of dirt behind my house, probably less than 100 square feet. i'm sick of looking out my window and seeing bare dirt and i really want to plant it. i live in southern california, and i'd like to have some plants that don't require much water, and would be able to thrive without much morning sun (the strip of dirt has a 5'6" cmu wall that borders it on the east). any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Feb 28, 07 6:43 pm
Queen of England

A little water and presto! Mud wrestling is highly sustainable...
...in a sociocultural community formation kind of way.

Feb 28, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ahahahaha! i like it!!! =P

Feb 28, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

do some google searches for permaculture groups in your area, or find someone doing xeriscaping to get ideas.

in the bay area we have a county group called Bay Friendly Gardening which helps folks find ways to use less water in their gardens, compost more, and also use more california native plants.

there has to be people doing that sort of stuff down there too i would imagine.
there are some vegetables too that don't require tons of water...or build a simple rainwater cathbasin and use a drip irrigation system.

Feb 28, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

not compatible with mud wrestling:

Feb 28, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

thanks mightylittle. i'll definitely check those out. yeah, i know there have to be plenty of resources down here, the problem is i'm not really sure what to look for.

Feb 28, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
dogfish
http://www.lacnps.org/

http://tchester.org/plants/

http://www.bewaterwise.com/great_native.html

here are some links to native plants that may/may not be appropriate for an urban area, just don't plant grass!

the most important thing is properly prepare the soil, check to see if your soil drains.

good luck

Feb 28, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
e909

grasses are ok, but the fire department and garden police don't like them,

what's the soil? fine clay? sand? clay supports dry dormancy and wet season madness. sand supports slower wet season growth, but "evergreen ness". in general.

a lot of succulents prefer less than direct sun, especially in summer. yet they are still water storing plants.

another generalization. larger plant requires less frequent water. example where initial appearance is misleading: "iceplant" (carpobrotus) is a spreading shrub (though branch/stem nodes sometimes root) essentially a semi-woody small shrub, but still a shrub.

look around and see what seems to do well with (human) low effort.

Mar 2, 07 6:19 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

thanks a lot guys! this will really help me get started. i'll definitely update when my garden project gets going. in case anyone else is interested, i came across this article in yesterday's l.a. times.

Mar 2, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

Where in SoCal? Mojave desert, LA, Idylwild?

First, I'd look into native species. Then, I'd think about adding a fruit tree. Many mediterranean ones will grow without much watering and you have the added bonus of your landscape actually producing resources, rather than consuming them.

Mar 2, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

well, i'm in the san gabriel valley, the blue shaded region above. i'm not sure what kind of soil i have (um, dirt?) but i guess like any project, research is needed. yes, i definitely want to have native species.

Mar 2, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Cris-

first check out this recent feature on Fritz Haeg - since he is based at Cal Poly, you are practically neighbors. Other SoCal designers to look up for inspiration include DryDesign and Katie Spitz. (Ignore Pam Burton and other 'garden' designers since they have no clue about sustainability).

Ok, now that a few ideas are perculating through your head, figure out what your agenda for the yard is (beyond looking pretty). Do you want to infiltrate stormwater? have a fire resistant landscape? grow food? provide habitat for butterflies? mountain lions? cool your house? block out the view of your neighbor? compost kitchen scraps? capture renewable energy? create an 'outdoor room'? grow pot?

all these are sustainable to a degree and may/may-not require native plants.

now we can start...

Mar 2, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

watch out for glendale's yard cops

Feb 14, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

wow, i forgot about this.

so, an update: my uncle (and landlord) planted a variety of chili peppers and squash in the garden before i could approach him with my idea.

i still would like to do it if i get another opportunity.

Feb 14, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

jesus christ. thanks for posting that article FRaC and getting my blood pressure up!

Feb 14, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: