Archinect
anchor

NYC Geography Question

standaman

I'm doing a photography project on industrial landscapes. Can somebody recommend some places to go to in Manhattan, Bronx or Brooklyn to shoot some heavily industrial scenery(factories, docks, etc)? The more industrial and barren/dirtier the better.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 07 8:50 pm
Living in Gin

Red Hook, Brooklyn is cool if it's hasn't been too gentrified already. Eastern Williamsburg is another possibility.

For hardcore heavy industry, I suggest going across the river to New Jersey. Staten Island my also have some interesting possibilities. I remember seeing a very cool-looking abandoned shipyard near the last stop on the Staten Island Railroad.

In the meantime, I suggest taking a gander at my friend Kevin's website for some good fodder.

Feb 23, 07 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

as GIN said - dirty jerz would hardcore

6th pic down is my fav.

pics 200-300 i think would be better

gentrification

more gentrification

Feb 23, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ride the NJT into Newark Penn Station, you'll see all you need, and then take the NJT down to Woodbridge, you'll see more...heavy industrial. when you are done with that, truck on over to Port Elizabeth.

Feb 23, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Morgan stop, L train: Bushwick, Brooklyn. Looks like armageddon to me.

Oh, and don't flash your fancy camera around there at night (or possibly the day, too)... The crack addicts might mug you for it.

Feb 24, 07 1:46 am  · 
 · 
standaman

Thanks everybody! I visited South Bronx (right across the river from Harlem) this morning and it was great. I feel like I got some really good shots of industrial scenery as well as some good residential/project shots as a bonus.

Although it was a great session, but next time I'd like to find a place that is a little more "rugged." New Jersey sounds perfect, but unfortunately my theme is restricted to the five boroughs. I'll have to look into Staten Island and Bushwick next time.

Feb 24, 07 9:15 am  · 
 · 
standaman

oh and by "rugged" I mean tall storage facilities, high machinery, chimneys, bridges, pipes, etc. Basically things that will fill my wide-angle lens with complex detail and imagery.

Feb 24, 07 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Go see the Domino Sugar factory in Brooklyn.

Also, like Betadine said, Newark is worth exploring, too. You can check out the old Charles Guyon factory. It's a great old building.

Feb 24, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

gowanus canal and newtown creek for the remnant of the working waterways

Feb 25, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

thanks again guys!

Feb 25, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If you're looking for things to fill your wide-angle lens with complex detail and imagery, get on the subway and check out a couple interesting spots on the system:

Queensborough Plaza, the junction of the N, W, and 7 lines (and also the site of the NYC subway's only cross-platform transfer between an IRT line and a BMT line).

Broadway Junction, the junction between the J, Z, A, and C lines.

Smith/9th on the F and G lines is directly over the Gowanus Canal, and is the highest elevated station above street level in the system.

All three stations offer a massive, convoluted mess of elevated tracks and steel structural members. Great for photography.

Feb 25, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Before you start a nip pick critic, please let me remind how boring stararchitects think the same thing ;

http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/images/2805.jpg

Compared that you must agrea that 3D-H is quite refreshing and newthinking.

Feb 25, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Sorry wrong tread.

Feb 25, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

^
^
^
Living in Gin,
Absolutely perfect! Those look like some great sites to shoot at, especially Queensborough Plaza. Beautiful! Thanks.

Feb 25, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Just be mindful of the MTA police. As a matter of policy, photography is permitted on the NYC subway system as long as you're not using a flash or a tripod. However, that hasn't stopped some overzealous MTA cops from harassing friends of mine.

Feb 25, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

Thanks for the heads up. I'm mostly going to be shooting scenes from ground-level looking up at the structures, so hopefully that'll be less risky.

Feb 25, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: