Archinect
anchor

arch. pavilions

meow

can anyone out there give me examples of pavilions as either a spatial strategy, folly, reprogrammable space, etc? All and any suggestions are welcomed. thanks...................purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........purrrrrr

Feb 9, 07 11:17 am
silverlake

Excuse me, but are you saying meow?

Check out the two pavilions done by Andrew Zago in Detroit; one built and one unbuilt.

Both use 'spacial objects' to reclaim derelict urban lots.

Feb 9, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
meow

thats good,

....pavilions like the serpentine gallery pavilions by ito, koolhaas, zaha, etc.

Feb 9, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

Andrew Zago's Detroit pavilion

Feb 9, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Pavillion can be many different things. For me it is about price and tha structure mus not be overwhelming heavy. it have to display light and be limit by simple materials and structureal Decor.

Feb 9, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

And another thing, it must not be alian.

Feb 9, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

The tradisional garden pavillion is not a spetacular thing , it is small and cosy ,simple in structure and nice.

Feb 9, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I think vindust means that, for him, it has to be 3D-H

Feb 9, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

that 3d-h never ceases to amaze me

Feb 9, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Yes I guess Pavillions are great testbenches , still it is difficult to beat the tradisional romantic garden pavillion.

Feb 9, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Sorry seem like the picture are to big ,check this instead ;

http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/images/1773.jpg

Feb 9, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
simples

post-neo...every time i see a new -3dh- graphic, a wave of shock and horror overwhelms me...then i see Vindpust's name, and the 3d-h methodology, and horror slowly transforms itself to humor...

amazing, in deed!!! every time!!!

in regards to pavillions, i will never get tired of studying this:

the richest architectural experience per square foot in the world.

Feb 9, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
simples

sorry...this is the the richest architectural experience per square foot in the world...

Feb 9, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I like that one better ;

"the richest architectural experience per square foot in the world."

Feb 9, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Client

Take me Home:(

Feb 9, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Simples ,if you don't want it can I borrow it ?

Feb 9, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

simples, I know the feeling.

I just don't understand why 3d-h keeps coming into every thread.
I wonder if the 3d-h structural design system could be used in answering the problems of the Breuer Library?

Feb 9, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
"I just don't understand why 3d-h keeps coming into every thread."

Because one of the posters here has a one-track mind.

Feb 9, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
simples

PostNeo...3d-h-Breuer...that's just cruel...

now...back to pavillions...the OCA at ibirapuera park in sao paulo by niemeyer...not sure if it qualifies as a "pavillion" but...

Feb 9, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Yeah, I don't get it.

How many different ways can you copy Nervi??

Feb 9, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Its a rhetorical question, please don't answer vindpust...

Feb 9, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I then answer retoric that thruout the 90' architects been busy copying brutalism and old masters who knew nothing better than concrete, copying ,borrowing and somethifes calling it their own creations. Bow that's Easy , it's tougher to come up with something extraordanary , something unique , something that challance the way computers been used up till then. Following a trend or re-inventing a style is easy, acturly trivial compared what deal with the basic structure.

Feb 9, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Still I am not an architect, agrea the truth don't call myself what I am not, so not being an architect why shuld I copy ,copying is not my brance, I am a designer not an architect . Also I think architects shuldn't deal with pavillions , - - - and that is my nonest belive , as what would pavillions become if architects shuld decide ; boring Brutalist Soviet micro factories , speculated spetacularies impossible for any use, edgy glass caves , blue dull sketches not answereing the basic issue how to acturly make them, or pure thivery ---- make your pick architecture provail.

Feb 9, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Client

Feb 9, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

sorry everyone. i brought up the 3D-H just as a joke cause vindpust posts are so ridiculous.

Feb 9, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Well I guess everyone shuld be glad as long as everyone agrea the law of the class bulli , guess that's what creativity are about sacrisfying the fat girl, bow and pick on the one that is not like the rest, ------ I never told you guy's but every week I run a group for people where most have been the wictims , I know their anger and know just like you how bullying destroyed so many lifes --- and yet ,at one site where everyone try so ancious to show their individuality and creativity, where everyone are so cultivated and educated so fine, the real goal is to support just that.

When I meet the anger and fury held back for years , when I see what educated people do to the fat girl, the sentitive guy who are just to easy a wictim , it also fuel my anger ------ but I guess my anger are more educated than your wish to follow the class bully.

Feb 9, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah the best example of a pavillion (I am assuming you mean pavillion vs folly) is the Holland Pavillion by MVRDV

Feb 10, 07 1:38 am  · 
 · 
mdler

look up worlds fairs...

Feb 10, 07 1:54 am  · 
 · 
mdler
Feb 10, 07 1:56 am  · 
 · 

in '95 we did a pavilion on the waterfront in louisville, expressly designed for the display of local architecture for the general public.

held a competition, got a winner, built the result for about $10k, mostly of wood framing, lexan, and a wild rubber roof material that was donated.

i'll look for pictures.

Feb 10, 07 7:12 am  · 
 · 

peter salter did a few pavillions in toyama, japan, that are quite nice.

there were a series of pavilions built actually, done under the machi-no-kao project , in the 90's. ron heron did a few (my firm at the time worked with him on one of them, which is only reason i know of it), as did miralles

(beautiful!) and tom heneghan, and a few others. there used to be a nice website...now i can find nothing. but you might get info using a library search. many projects were published.

Feb 10, 07 8:03 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Exactly a Pavillion can not be a huge spetacular thing, it sinply would destroy any nice garden. So Pavillions have not changed in my mind, from what it is. A small shelter , better than a shelter though a place to rest end enjoy not feast or raving psykopats blabbering about recounter England and terrorise the lokals, A Pavilion shuld never be designed for everyday's drinking and arts as an alchoholic fluid --- blur sight newer review ; even your sight are so blur you can't tell beauty from trend it also newer provide the right thing --- Pavillions shuld be primery a design Icon ,it is not the idea to slave the arts into doing arts itself into a trend game , --- if a pavilion are simply that and ontop an extreemely expensive and useless thing, then just that shuld prove bad design.

Feb 10, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Rasionalist if you look ror reson try see it this way :

It is allright if you want your earth flat.
None of my buisness still the fact is, it is round.
You want cheap things m a repeat of what happened back then , last time something realy happened, at the same time you want no new things ,don't want your houses to cost only a third and by no means you want them stronger. In particular you don't want anything that can be rebuild or reused everything you build from, must be vorse quality.

Now as architect you shuld know that presentaton is important, still you wonder why it is delicat for me to provide buildings , exact digital models exactly documenting any of the methods's structures, the examples I was forced to provide --- remember I am a designer not an architect ; but do that mean that the world had to wait another 30 years, before another building core , a new way to put things together and use the computer a different way, --- What's realy wrong ?

I studied the replies and reaction the method meet, and surrely there are a few sillicats that know so little about mechanics the fiercest critics allway's made this to offer openly, a brilliant new visionary aproach, as something very danger. Keep your earth flat it is no deal for mee.
Bside I all the time expectet book argument from book people , guess for me architecture allway's was about proving the impossible and fact seem to be , --- that when it is presented there even be people left, who argument by closing their eyes.

3D-H for me allway's was about a splendid new way to use the computer nothing less, no compromise and realy why shuld we compromise , from now and here the computer are here skipping it will be to asy farewell to a mountain of money ,stay with the old slums and make sure your sons will not get a job. --- See That is staying with the old.

Think about it ; how would you feel looking at today's designers to use stone age principles not even recall the call for a massive delivery of Cheap Strong nice houses. Gee I stopped projecting 3D-H building structures five years ago, most of my examples are from back then, So ao I don't understand it either.

Feb 10, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

I can't believe no one suggested this little jewel.

Or this guy...

Or...this guy right herrrrrrrr...

Mar 13, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

That's odd. They're all from japan architects. Being asian and all...I guess I'm bias.

Rearry cool!

Mar 13, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

How is Andrew Zago's Detroit pavilion holding up?

I think the original proposal was really nice.

Mar 13, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

The tubes are getting pretty nasty, and I think it's just considered an oddity by most who live around it. I wish the parks department or someone would do more to program it. Could be a great setting for concerts, etc.

Mar 13, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

meow-

just found this in the gallary

it appears to use the exisiting foundation for its footprint...

Perhaps it's open structure is to represent its remnant, now missing, pieces.

Mar 13, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Client

GRANDFATHER!!!

Mar 13, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
n_

this is a BEAUTIFUL and successful pavillion designed by students. it is the finnish pavilion in sevilla, spain it was built for the world's fair in '92.

Mar 13, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i drove past the zago pavillion in detroit recently and it hasn't aged well...in fact, the clear tubes looked rather dirty and a couple of them had even fallen—or were maybe pulled—out of place and the whole thing had the appearance of a box of straws that had been cracked open. it's a project that—especially given its location in detroit—has always left me asking a bit wtf?

Mar 14, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
Architecture_Charlatan

Have a look at Renzo Piano's IBM travelling pavillion.

Mar 14, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

"the clear tubes looked rather dirty and a couple of them had even fallen"

I think the fact that these tubes are collecting dirt is somewhat interesting. Not knowing much about Zago, could it be that he did anticipate this and it strengthens his big idea here or...was he looking for a nice portfolio piece that would last half a year...

I thought the original idea dealt with the reclamation of remnant pieces of a burnt out house?

Mar 14, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

found the original project here

Mar 14, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Is that article talking about the same pavillion that was built? For one thing, the pavillion is at the base of Lafayette Park (Mies' largest residential project). The steel frame of the pavillion owes much more to Mies than would be implied by "sticks and charred studs" (there are none). The project looks vaguely like the above model, but take a look at the images closer to the beginning of the thread. Is this the same project?

Mar 14, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

Perhaps the ideas aren't realated at all and the only things they share are Zago, Detroit, its a Pavilion, and constructed out of Stacked Objects in a Frame.

Mar 14, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
chinoXL63
http://cspacepavilion.blogspot.com/

Nov 6, 07 5:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: