Archinect
anchor

OMA wins in Shenzhen

cj w.

OMA wins in the design of the Shenzhen Stock Exchange tower. it will be the 2nd biggest project of OMA in china at 250m height after CCTV HQ...

more details:

http://www.dezeen.com/?p=169#more-169

Dec 22, 06 10:01 am
strlt_typ

fuck OMA...

Dec 22, 06 10:04 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

j/k

Dec 22, 06 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Chch

dammson, that's one messed up image you just gave the dutch readers...

Dec 22, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I think it was the Dutch who gave the world 3D-H. Obviously OMA is a little behind the times on that.

Dec 22, 06 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Is that for real? That thing is... umm... less than fantastic?

Dec 22, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
cj w.

3d-h? what is that?

Dec 22, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Don't ask.

Dec 22, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

That's one boring diagram.

Dec 22, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
bucku

the museum plaza that REX took over is a much better gesture into a highrise. with this and the porsche building, could rem be falling off?

Dec 22, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wish OMA would quit ripping off REX...

Dec 22, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Chch

Still, at least the horizontal volume is now the roof of a public plaza as opposed to the plaza itself.

Dec 22, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

that's terrible.

Dec 22, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

wow, they sure are putting together some grand-boring designs

Dec 22, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

They stole that from me. I designed that building in first year.

Dec 22, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

obviously all you naysayers have never been soaked in the stock market. when the market crashes so will the suspended box. its genius. thank you rem...

Dec 22, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

I can see the headlines now...

"200 crushed in stock market crash"

Dec 22, 06 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 22, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 22, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Nice to know that Rem Koolhaas is finally starting to get his work recognized.

Dec 22, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
casual

How do we know Mr. Rem didn't submit this as a durty joke? It's the people of Shenzhen who must be ridiculed!

Dec 22, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

i'll give him this..
...at least it will be better than 99.9% of everything else being
built in that city...
..and that's something.

Dec 22, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
dyske

everyone knows 3D-H comes Denmark

Dec 22, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
edgarg

read the full press release

http://www.edgargonzalez.com/2006/12/23/oma-a-rotterdam-2/

Dec 22, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

'broadcast' eh?
a building as a 4-sided digital LED billboard. one of us could've come up with that...er...concept.

Dec 22, 06 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Dit zal hun best gebouw niet zijn.

Dec 22, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

isn't that exactly what the museum plaza did when it was still a oma ny project?

Dec 23, 06 12:55 am  · 
 · 
Chch

...as seen in the end of the proposal video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9H-qhbIIMyk

Dec 23, 06 12:56 am  · 
 · 
garpike

This building will feature glass.

Dec 23, 06 1:38 am  · 
 · 
morfo

terrible design

Dec 23, 06 2:37 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

I'm with FOG lite...

Dec 23, 06 2:44 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Where's FOG?

Dec 23, 06 2:57 am  · 
 · 

realize now that it's pretty different, but for some reason it immediately reminded me of this:

Dec 23, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Dec 23, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 

face the fax

Mies van der Rohe architecture is so gay!
"less is more" -- how gay can you get?
Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture is so gay!
and the hat and cape he wore -- how gay can you get?
Le Corbusier architecture is so gay!
promenade architecturale -- how gay can you get?
Trumbauer and Abele architecture is so gay!
gosh is that stuff gay!!!
Koolhaas architecture -- gay! gay! gay!
repeat
Koolhaas architecture -- gay! gay! gay!
Libeskind architecture, that's gay with a beard!
Lebbeus Woods architecture, that crazy mixed-up gay!
Paul Rudolph architecture, well there's a sado-masochist in every crowd.
Look around, you're all gay!

--from: http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=17080_0_42_0_C

Dec 23, 06 9:28 am  · 
 · 
OMAfan

I belive this stock market project is a collaboration work with Asymptote. They have done interior design of the stock market.

Dec 23, 06 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

i sense a lot of hate and disgust for rem.... *puzzled*

Dec 24, 06 1:02 am  · 
 · 
pedromartinez

horrible scheme. but finally shanghai gets an urban sombrero.

isn't the raised portion a replica of an unbuilt mies convention hall?

Dec 24, 06 1:14 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

yes.

rem has built quite a portfolio by just getting built 'unbuilt' mies
projects.

i'm sure mies would be delighted.

Dec 24, 06 1:26 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you guys buying into this mies explanation?...

Dec 24, 06 2:37 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

is this a way to pack his design with historical meaning?...see i don't know...

Dec 24, 06 2:41 am  · 
 · 
bothands

you all seriously believe the built thing willbe the same as some preliminary press release schematic rendering?

and regarding ripping off mies, its not just rem, terry riley just built a dead ringer for one of mies's court houses in miami -- alongside the millions of lesser-is-not-more knock-offs worldwide for the past 60 years...

I have to admit this oma project seems a caricature of the severe diagram (ala very early oma), but as i've intimated here before, anyone whose been to one of rem's better buildings spatially (villa dal ava, kunsthal, bordeaux, educatorium, IIT, seattle, dutch embassy) probably wouldn't make such blanket statements as metamechanic's above ("rem as a designer and builder sucks"), either that or architecture is not an art of space-making for you, but rather, I don't know, what? cool graphics, tectonics, utility? wow exciting! and what's with the kmfdm?

Dec 24, 06 2:50 am  · 
 · 

i've said it before here: i always hate oma projects until i hear the argument for them. after understanding what they're after, i usually like more and then understand what to expect from the project. once built, the argument usually trumps the original image.

Dec 24, 06 7:33 am  · 
 · 

most people i know didn't get that vibe meta (about rem' buildings i mean). opposite really, especially about meier. personally, i find meier's work a lot like the sooped-up contractor-builder work that is so common in japan; super polished, but not in a good way...like over-produced music....

only seen a few of rem's buildings in person. there were def some issues with detailing...more about maintenance than details perhaps, but the buildings were not aging gracefully. which is a shame.

on the other hand, rem's details are i think quite sophisticated, in spite of the view usually expressed here (that he can't do details, or isn't interested)...there is even a good chance that oma produces more details and spends more time on them than a typical r. meier building...for whatever that is worth. the flipside of new and unusual details is that they don't always work quite as they might be hoped to...

anyway, the building looks alright to me. still a bit preliminary to have a real opinion though. am looking forward to seeing how it gets fleshed out...

Dec 24, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 
bothands

...unfortunately, that space in the Haag is pretty much the same space as in Canal + in Paris, or that courthouse on Long Island or the one in Phoenix, or the museum in Beverly Hills, or the museum in Barcelona, or the new one in Rome, or even a bunch of those houses he did...with some variation in scale or perhaps shape. its basically formula by now (and formula based on an earlier formula -- emulating Corb) -- the familiar story of the artist/architect getting older, getting repetitive, and the work getting worse (sadly, the one place Meier tried something a little different, the Getty, is a mess -- actually that church in Rome is different for him too, haven't been there tho).

That's why you gotta hand it to architect's like Fuksas or Ito, they haven't stagnated (yet), and neither have OMA or H&DeM so far, but they might be on the verge, who knows...Anyone seen that new museum in Korea by OMA, driven by their familiar ideas -- the ramp and the void -- but certainly not much like anything else the've done:
link

Dec 24, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

-- actually that should be 'the spiral and the void' in this case more so than the ramp and the void.

Dec 24, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
ooid

take a look at content..oma hate mies based details that looks non-human and so perfect..dunno remember exacty, one part in the book, they call it a kind of fetish..All im saying thats not a fault, thats just their criteria as not giving so much important to shiny, perfect details..

Dec 27, 06 8:26 am  · 
 · 

that is exactly right. it isn't that they don't think about details, and aren't careful about them, just that the basis for judgement is different from what say someone at SOM would be into. for me that is a good thing, for many here def not the case.

on the other hand, when i went to his nexus housing project in fukuoka recently i did notice that some of his 'brutalist-y' detailing was starting to fall apart ad rust. just in parts mind, most of it was fine, and as i mentioned above that may be a matter of lack of maintenance (which most people here do not do), more than detailing per se.

to put in perspective, the first time i went to see fumihiko Maki's work i was expecting perefection cuz the guy is like richard meier or mies, a perfectionist who makes incredibly pristine details that are always held up as models for good construction techniques...and they were just as rusted out as anything by rem. more so in fact.

sometimes what things look like and what they ARE are very different.

architects, being superficial people when you get right down to it, are often put off by rem for what things look like more than what they do...which is why i am still a bit surprised by meta's remark about the kunsthal being a failure spatially. can understand that it may not be the style he is into, but space-wise, it is a masterpiece. lots to learn in that building (i would say detail-wise too, though am sure most here would not agree).

Dec 27, 06 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

kunsthall is pretty amazing as a spatial puzzle, but i'm not sure how special any of the individual spaces themselves are as spaces. kind of a bunch of differently scaled boxes nested together in a crazy path, but very little interlocking of interior spatial/experiential conditions.

and of all of the work we saw in the netherlands - of various generations - including un studio, mvrdv, mecanoo, van den broek bakema, weeber, arets, neutlings, oud, coenen, robbrecht daem, etc, it was interesting to note that the oma projects seemed to be in the worst condition. could this just be a maintenance issue, then?:

this confused me because i was under the impression that the arch firms themselves in the netherlands did not produce their own cds but that there was another layer of consultant between arch and contractor that produces documents. could have misunderstood...

this didn't make me think less of oma. i'm constantly amazed by the work of rem & co, moreso every time a new project is announced and generally panned only to be celebrated once complete. there is an intelligence at work in each project that doesn't show up very often in a lot of the 'superficial' (jump's word) work that architects do.

Dec 28, 06 7:38 am  · 
 · 
perturbanist

is that a cak & bolls?

Dec 28, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"I think it was the Dutch who gave the world 3D-H. Obviously OMA is a little behind the times on that."

No it was Dutch bicycle thives who dictate that if a bike are not locked, then as they don't know the difference between your's and mine , they are in their proven right to steal it. --- Lately a few started a campain against locked bikes and rampaged whatever property the owner tried to protect, Stationary they know, as in this picture it prove it MUST NOT look like the 3D-H invented and promoted by a danish designer for a decade ; they don't know that 3D-H is a structural system offering a new use by computers generating the building structure, they still think 3D-H is a Decor thing, these facts tell something about bicycle thives.

Jan 2, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: