Archinect
anchor

Paris Skyscraper - Morphosis beat off Norman Foster and Jean Nouvel.

contemax

the Lighthouse

"It's about an icon, and one of the major buildings in Paris," he said of the winning project. He added the building would be "a prototype for a green building" with a wind farm generating its own heating and a "double skin" of steel and glass to a self-cooling mechanism for the hotter months.

Building regulations have kept tall buildings out of Paris for 30 years. At 300 metres (990 ft), the Lighthouse will come a close second to the Eiffel Tower, which rises to 324 metres. Its twin structure will combine a rectangular base with a soaring, organic-shaped tower, capped by a field of wind turbines.

http://www.lexpress.fr/info/quotidien/rss.asp?id=7432

Nov 28, 06 1:46 pm
crowbert

I realize that the building will be french and all, but when I first saw this image, my first thought was "It sure looks like the swoopy building is humping the rectilinear one."

Nov 28, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

my first thought was...when did gehry start working at morphosis

Nov 28, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

lars, is it you or I that needs to get out more?

Nov 28, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its about time, paris is sorely lacking any iconographic architecture.

Nov 28, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

LOL vado!

I do like it, however I'm kind of a Mayne groupie.

Nov 28, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

>SWOOPY<

Nov 28, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
contemax
Nov 28, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Headline: Morphosis handjobs rated 8.5 of 10 by Foster and Nouvel

Nov 28, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
buffalo fill

Anyone else concerned that every rendering of the building is from the same side?

Nov 28, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

I beleive that is why its called the money shot.

Nov 28, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I think they've been doing great work lately but the above rendering looks like something EOM would do and that scares me.

Nov 28, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

anything to save the French Senior Citizens from the summer heat....flips my wheel!

Nov 28, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

who let the Sci Arc kids have at this ? geezus tom

Nov 28, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

creepy...

Nov 28, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Absolut Marilyn meets Absolut Hollywood?

(not playing "tricky precedent", just jpg du jour)

Nov 28, 06 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
upside

just like looking up the statue of liberty's skirt

Nov 28, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

someone who is upside down would know that

Nov 28, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i really hope this one morphs into something else entirely

Nov 28, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

i thought "penis!"... and im one to usually like blobs...

Nov 28, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
abyssinian

sex sells

Nov 28, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
contemax
Nov 28, 06 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
contemax

for insiration only

Nov 28, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

not a very big fan of the design (at least from the onset of viewing it) however, should it be intended to be a landmark for paris i think it is alright although the position and site isnt in such a central n focal location as eiffel tower.. this is cluttered together with other bldgs. eiffel tower stands proud unobstructed ... perhaps that is the difference between them in terms of being an 'icon'...

Nov 28, 06 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

another thing.. i find the tower's "hair" kinda funny.. like some sorta underwater adventure cartoon character... like some spongebob cohort...

Nov 28, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

it reminds me of the time i got my head stuck in my turtleneck and spent 10 minutes stretching the hell out of the neck getting out...

Nov 29, 06 2:26 am  · 
 · 
Becker

hahaha, i love it when morphosis talk about green buildings. i went to a thom mayne talk in sydney last year and he was trying to tell us his building had a living skin because you could open the windows to get some natural ventilation. haha, you dont say stupid shit like that to ausdtralians, most people walked out. the wind farms will be on for a few months, then they will turn them off for sure.

Nov 29, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
binary

leave all the rev surf 3d modelling tools alone....... shit is really getting old when everything has a morphic form and crazy window/curtain walls..... i would like to see some de-con going on......

2:37am

Nov 29, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

y a w n

Nov 29, 06 10:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

is it just me or are buildings just getting uglier?

Nov 29, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
not_here

237, hey hey, you can do very cool things with those surf tools:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/ghery/ << see interactive corp headquarters.

Nov 29, 06 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Nov 29, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

morphosis' building has some nasty varicose veins...

Nov 29, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
bucku

what about foster and nouvel' s designs. got any pics of them?

Nov 29, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
aml

superimpose: yes, that's the first thing that came to mind.

Nov 29, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
contemax
Nov 29, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
frozenmusic

I actually saw a model of that building when I visited Morphosis' office in LA in October with school. It was completely 3D printed in phases. It looked really cool and huge.

They wouldn't say where it was then coz the competition was not over yet but one could tell from the model's context it was La Defense in Paris.

Nov 29, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

its difficult to look at projects embedded in prominent urban conditions without actually looking at the context.

Nov 29, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: