Archinect
anchor

the dimpled rind of remorselessness

karchitect

show us your photos of architecture capable of lowering property values in the neighborhood. what is bad?

Oct 13, 06 5:31 am
Chili Davis

Oh my God, I think I'm gonna be sick now.

Oct 13, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 
cf

I will make it my job to find that architect and make him feel how real, biting, and festering his guilt is. Slowly, turn the guilt into hate and sit back and watch as he exuberantly spreads his abscess. A hord is born.

Oct 13, 06 9:03 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I sincerely doubt that an architect was involved in that project - I see "builder" written all over it.

Oct 13, 06 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

ironically, won't that actually RAISE property values in that neighborhood?

Oct 13, 06 11:28 am  · 
 · 
cf

The house looks functional, the architect "maxed out" the property providing the owner with the most built area for the site, and also "created" a necessary change in the rhythm of what was a very boring streetscape. The AIA has been notified and receipt acknowledged with distinction.

Oct 13, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

It it just me, or do those garage doors look about three feet wide??

Oct 13, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 
cf

I just received word that the garage doors are special Prius dimensions anticipating the new wave of owners in the neighborhood.

Oct 13, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

my thoughts as well Chili -- presuming the photo wasn't scaled out of proportion, the owners must be motorcyclists. no way that car on the street could fit.

Oct 13, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Is it odd that the front door appears to be the same height as the double-hung window on the house to the right, too?

Oct 13, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

"Firmitas, utilitas, venustas"

Wow, the proportions are just perfect.

LB I thnk you give to many arch's the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 13, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
cf

I just checked the sat photo of this house (it's in Pittsburg). The surveyor and foundation contractor have the foundation rotated counterclockwise planview. I'd sue those incomps.

Oct 13, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

They should rotate it 90 degrees clockwise along the X axis.

Oct 13, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

the image is stretched peeps. chill out. heres some more painful stuff..

back

inside. note the wonderful wall trim. love it.

my favorite. i mean- wow.
[img]http://photos.njmls.com/2633832.1.jpgimg]
inside. bedposts of heaven...

Oct 13, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
cf

That is Eisenman's football trophy bedroom (both bottom pictures are the same room for dialectic puposes). I haven't seen those photos published in years.

Oct 13, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Actually, that's Philip Johnson's bedroom.

Oct 13, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Eisenman's football trophy room and P.J.'s bedroom are one and the same? Wow!

Oct 13, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

cf
Good Eisenmalign

Oct 13, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Eisenglass is steel, man!

Oct 13, 06 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
z|o|o|m

kyll's 3rd picture is rather nice, fanciest storage unit I've ever seen! the tinted bay windows give it that guard tower-esque feeling i find so hard to capture

Oct 13, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

I will have nightmares tonight.

Oct 13, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Hames

not so pricky about good american design. eh. cheers

Oct 13, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
karchitect

more eye candy...

Oct 14, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 
cf

http://www.texastwisted.com/attr/munstermansion/

Your altered states of being don't cut the Munstered.

Oct 15, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i do love the title of this thread...

Oct 15, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

beta -welcome back! did you see any specimens worthy of this thread in Mpls?

Oct 15, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you know tree, my wife and i went to look at some apartment complex's right off the plane that reminded me of some of this, but while the amenities were attractive we decided against the lithium like environs for something with a little more walkability and great spaces to boot.

Oct 15, 06 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

My girlfriend was watching Extreme Makeover - Home Edition last night and thought the house was "pretty." I had to slap some sense into her. Anyone else see this?

Oct 16, 06 9:00 am  · 
 · 
kyll

chili- did you slap her with phaidon's 10x10 again?? she was in a coma last time dude - sheesh...

Oct 16, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Nope, I went all out this time...

Oct 16, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

this is the shit that 'design review boards' love, btw

Oct 16, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

this is the shit that 'design review boards' love, btw

Oct 16, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

ouch, that mother has sharp edges and weighs a ton

btw, there is no actual driveway

this smacks of that cad program that you can buy at officemax for $12.99...they sell it next to the staplers, i think

Oct 16, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

man... cad program at officemax? this whole effort is an after-effect of the home channel "trading spaces", and "fixafuckedup house" show (or whatever its called)

where people are beginning to think that it just takes some new sheetrock, studs, a kooky design with 38 inventive uses for an old trasure chest, and a paintroller to "design" - thus making them "designers" or worse yet "architects"

like being proud of those homes i posted above- i'm sure theres alot of people who would love to live in them- which is fine. not knowing you live in crap is just as blissful as the next thing....

Oct 16, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

A local developer built this piece of work for himself on a small island in a critical habitat area without obtaining any of the required permits or variances. He claims (keep in mind his line of work) he didn't know he needed permits. If he had gone through the proper channels he would have only been able to build something a fraction of the size.

Oct 17, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Someone should report him, at least he'll get a shitload of fines slapped on him.

Oct 17, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

He shoud be fined for building a house with its own lighthouse.

Oct 17, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Last I heard, he probably will be fined and maybe even made to demolish the lighthouse and pool.

Oct 17, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I did a job in Long Island a few years back, we had to go to a zoning hearing for it. Another applicant at the hearing was a builder who had managed to sneak through a permit for a house that had no access: it was a land-locked site behind another house, and the permit reviewer missed that fact because the site plan showed a driveway. Then when the house was done he told the county that since they had issued him a building permit, they were now required to build him a road/utility easement across the neighbor's property so that the new house could have a street address and county services.

It had been tied up in zoning for a long time and was still not close to resolution when the meeting I was at ended. But the balls of this guy, to build a house first, knowing that it was premised on a bogus permit, then demand taxpayer money to make his investment viable. People are jerks sometimes.

bryan4arch your developer guy should have to demolish that hosue himself plus pay for environmental remediation. Jeez.

Oct 17, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Not just taxpayer money, but he's fucking over the neighbor, as well! That sucks. I hate developer/builders sometimes. Actually, most times. Almost all times. Argh.

Oct 17, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

what do you mean i needed a permit?

it's MY land!

Oct 17, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
karchitect

Are those palm trees or windmills?
And is it just me, or does the water in that swimming pool look a little funky?

Oct 17, 06 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you people really hate american values...

Oct 17, 06 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

I recently lost an attempt to have a non-permitted structure allowed through a minor variance of the bylaws. It was built a few years ago (I had nothing to do with it). The offensive portion had to be removed.
On the plus side, it resulted in a nice new project for me (same client).
Many authorities are now refusing to approve these things after being built, more on principal (and as punishment), it seems.

Oct 19, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

light house....hummm think it is his desired penis size which may have been the real concept behind this house....Dick House that is!

Oct 19, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: