Archinect
anchor

Meat Pies

Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

the meat pie as a fascinating spatial concept.

lower case moulded from smooth gold short pastry to provide a firm structural cell. flaky pastry lid carefully sealed and ornamentally patterned in order to indicate contents. dense, dark, rich interior of elaborate materiality. kind of loosian, perhaps. but much more mobile.

google's not giving up any pictures which do the pie justice.

+ other instances of culinary spatiality? (frascari talks about cheese, for example, and I had a student examine crumpets).

+ favourite pies? (after steak and cheese of course)

discuss?

Oct 3, 06 8:12 pm
upside

the pie floater; perfect euclidian symetry, contrasting primary colours

kind of like dahka

Oct 3, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
upside

and i allways thought that oma's parc de la villett was a perfect blueprint for the functional distribution of pizza topping

Oct 3, 06 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I love a good steak and cheese, but I am always wary of the health and meat content issues of all pies. I always read the meat content [where available] to see whats in it. If it looks at all dubious, I dont buy.

I have a Jesters not far from me which is good for a quick fix, although not a traditonal pie.

Last great pie I had was a lamb one from Nosh in G.I.

Here's one for you - I briefly worked at Georgie Pie in the early 1990's.

Oct 3, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Jester's is ok, but i find they're usually too salty.
Peter's Steak and Cheese is A-grade pie.
Ponsonby Pies are a safe bet.

Georgie Pie...*sniff*

I miss $2 pies. The whole famliy could eat out for $20!

Did you know that Foodtown's pies are pretty much Georgie Pie pies? GP was owned by Progressive Foods, too. For quite a while they actually were the same pie, and they're still fairly close.

Oct 3, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

pizzitecture?

pizzcitecture?

Oct 3, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

minced meat isnt meat. but its called minced meat...

Oct 3, 06 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
oe

"There's no I in team, but there is an I in, pie."

Oct 3, 06 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

i believe you'll find there's a difference between "minced meat" and "mincemeat", vado. The latter is indeed, without carnivorous content, while the former is without doubt, meat.

mince pies are ok. but only if you can't get steak. chicken is pushing it. fish has no place in a pie.

pizza is interesting: an architecture of toppings...

Oct 3, 06 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
mouse

Mince pies in UK are eaten at christmas and are DEFINITELY not meat pies - they're made of raisins, currents, sultanas, apple, cinnamon, candied fruits, brandy and suet.

Oct 4, 06 6:05 am  · 
 · 
mouse

The best meat pie is steak and kidney and has to be made over two days ideally - one to get the meat fully cooked, then it has to be cooled down and the gravy gelatinous before constructing the pie itself.

Oct 4, 06 6:06 am  · 
 · 
antipod

Agfa I hate you. I can't find a decent mince and cheese anywhere in London!

The first thing I do when I go back in January is stop at the Shell station outside the AIA carpark and get a couple of Big-Ben bad boys. I seriously cannot wait...

Also glad to see the beginning of a good BDO lineup for next year. Sweet.

Oct 4, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 
mouse

Antipod - I'm suprised you can find ANY kind of mince and cheese pie in London. I've never heard of such a thing, sounds dreadful.

Oct 4, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

Someone find me a pie shop in Los Angeles and I might marry you.

Oct 4, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
meatier pies

terri: look here for pies.

Oct 4, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Mouse, in this strange country you have kidney in a pie. THAT is disgusting...

Oct 5, 06 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
mouse

Nothing like a renal addition to a good pie.

Oct 6, 06 5:52 am  · 
 · 
207moak

My Nana mad the best meat pies (that I've had.)

&

LaVilette is by Tschumi not OMA

Oct 6, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Meat is a delicious snack no matter how you prepare it.

Oct 6, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary
eating architecture
Oct 7, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

jelly is also very architectural. especially the more spectacular moulds.

jelly not jello, please. this thread is antipodean-friendly.

Oct 7, 06 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

also, 207moak, although the constructed scheme for la villette is tschumi, the project referred to above is oma's entry for the competition.

Oct 7, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

My friend worked at a firm that worked with D+S and apparently they made models from sushi and cheese for some competition. They didn't win...haha.

On the topic of meat pies, my vote goes to Natchitoches meat pies from Natchitoches Louisiana. The classic is Lasyones Meat Pie Kitchen. Been there twice. Quite yummy and meaty. With a side of dirty rice. That's a nice pile a' meat.

Oct 8, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 
myriam

what on earth were you doing in natchitrash?! what an odd place to visit.

Oct 8, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

My ex was from Alexandria, LA, so when I would visit in the summer, we would go there and get some meat pies.

Oct 8, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what do you think meat pies are most popular with starchitects? please keep answer scrictly to subject a s commenters on this site get off of the topec.

Oct 8, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

mouse: I love Smedley's (tinned) steak & kidney pies. don't think you can buy them anymore except in UK. beautiful pastry.

mincemeat (that goes in mincemeat pie or mince pies) has (or had) venison in it but now you can buy bottled mincemeat which is made from green tomatoes I think as well as raisins, currents, sultanas, apple, cinnamon, candied fruits, brandy and suet.

'mince pies' (in UK at Xmas) are little individual pies - more like tarts with a pastry covering - about 3 inches in diameter. when my mom here in N. America makes 'a mincemeat pie' at Xmas it is full size pie size.

any of this make any sense?

Oct 9, 06 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

vado? are you on the sauce?

tinned pies? no. they are forbidden. they ruin the elegance of the spatial figure.

farmer, you have correclt identified the ingredients of mincemeat. 'mince pies' used to be pies containing mincemeat (venison, raisins, brandy, suet etc). Because mincemeat is revolting, 'mince pies' today usually contain only a sugary approximation of mincemeat.

beef mince is aka 'ground beef' or 'hamburger'. it looks like this:

and is acceptable for use in meat pies, although steak is better.

Oct 9, 06 1:10 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
Oct 9, 06 1:13 am  · 
 · 
farmer

shepherd's pie: doesn't ground beef and ground pork go into this, topped with a layer of mashed potatoe (no bottom,side or top pastry)?

does this qualify as a real meat pie?

Oct 9, 06 3:26 am  · 
 · 
mouse

Farmer - OK cookery lesson.
Shepherd's Pie should have minced lamb or mutton (hence the shepherd). Minced beef is a cottage pie.
Mincemeat does not have green tomatoes in the UK (nor any other kind of tomatoes). See my list of ingredients in previous post.
I'm told that Fray Bentos tinned steak and kidney pie is v. good but I wouldn't know - wouldn't touch any but home-made.

Oct 9, 06 4:35 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

farmer, farmer, farmer... without pastry, there is no pie, only a bowl of hot meat.

Oct 9, 06 4:41 am  · 
 · 
upside

the best pie i ever ate:

crab,feta and cracked pepper pie from the miami bakehouse in wa.

Oct 9, 06 4:51 am  · 
 · 
farmer

mouse: how long should I soak my kidney before cooking to get rid of the pissy smell?

Oct 9, 06 7:16 am  · 
 · 
mouse

Don't bother, just wash it and cut the nasty bits out, then slice, fry with all the other meat, onions, carrots, etc. so it gets nice and brown, then cook for at least two hours, if not more. No pissy smell then.

Oct 9, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm sorry, this discussion first thing on a Monday morning is more than a little disturbing. Ick.

Oct 9, 06 7:55 am  · 
 · 
antipod

It's still making my mouth water....

Oct 9, 06 8:36 am  · 
 · 
farmer

the BBC on mince pies (it being close to Christmas I thought I wd resurrect this thread)

Dec 5, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Dec 5, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

There's a place in my neighb' called Dub Pies that's pretty good. Their curry veg pie is all right. Their hot NZ counter girl makes me melt every time she talks. Even my gf was ready to ask her out. the power of accents...
Does a Jamaican Beef Patty count? You can find those at just about any corner bodega in NYC. What about empanadas? I had an awesome shark arepa from a Venezuelan place in the E. Vill a while back. That's what starchitects eat- shark arepas. Good band name, too.

Dec 5, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Aww yeah. Neu Zulland gurls are wucked an' choice as bro!

Dec 6, 06 8:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: