Archinect
anchor

Really awsome DiAGraM Post!

mrfletchersevil

I've been reading Edward Tufte's "Envisioning Information" so i decided to start this post...

Post interesting/dynamic beatiful diagrams/graphs/tables/etc. or links to them.

PLEASE tell us the source so we can explore more!!!!!

I'll Start...

www.unstudio.com (from IFCCA project)

Sep 27, 06 8:43 pm
mrfletchersevil

cool travel time map..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nix/153923147/

Sep 27, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

from Jacques Bertin's Sémiologie graphique...

Sep 27, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Sep 28, 06 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
e

while i find the diagrams by UNstudio visually appealing, i also find them difficult to read and understand. they lack clarity in my mind, and diagrams, first and foremost, should strive for clarity.

Sep 28, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
AP
Radical Cartography

Visual Complexity

Sep 28, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

Laurie Chetwood's Butterfly House.

Sep 28, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

Aztec - Stone of the Sun

Mayan Calendar...

Sep 28, 06 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

19th c. indian buddhist diagram

Mandal of Kalachakra

Sep 28, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

From Arjun's MIT school blog, "Diagraming the City". very cool Arjun...

Ok guys...
I know I'm not the only one who has things to post here. A little help?...

Sep 28, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

By the way AP that radical cartography site has some really cool stuff.

Sep 28, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
AP
the Enneagram

The Enneagram (also sometimes called Enneagon) is a nine-pointed diagrammatic figure used for various purposes in a number of teaching systems. In recent years the figure has come to prominence in its use with what is often called the Enneagram of Personality. The historical origins of the figure are disputed.

the contemporary Enneagram of Personality

Enneagram and Horoscope combo

Sep 28, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

yeah, you're right e, UNstudios diagrams are pretty to look at but the information does get a bit obfuscated through their treatment of the variables. or at least in the graphical dimensionalities they choose to apply.

Sep 28, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, i'm drawn to mappings, or diagrammatic information overlayed onto a map of some sort. what I love about that site is the diversity of mapping strategies it showcases.

Sep 28, 06 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

=111

Sep 28, 06 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

=111

Sep 28, 06 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
AP

^on radicalcartography.com

Sep 28, 06 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
e

i love the simplicity of the jacques bertin's sémiologie graphique though. and this thread did force me to go out and buy the latest tufte book. i have the others and look forward to the new one. many thanks.

Sep 28, 06 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

I'm finishing up "envisioning information" and trying to decide whether i should buy his first one, "The visual display of quantitative information" or his third "visual explanations: images and quantities, evidence and narratives". Any suggestions?

Sep 28, 06 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Sep 29, 06 1:14 am  · 
 · 
mslima

I have Tufte's 4 books, and I must say that "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" is without a doubt the best one. For the relevant content and depth of analysis. The book's cover illustrates E. J. Marey's diagramatic train schedule between Paris and Lyon, from "La Méthode Graphique" (Paris, 1885).

The X-axis incorporates Time, measured in hours, and maintains the same scale in both the top edge (corresponding to departures and arrivals from Paris) and the bottom edge (for departures and arrivals from Lyon). The remaining horizontal lines represent other train stations between Paris and Lyon. The diagonal lines represent different trains, leaving and arriving from the two main stations, and the horizontal linebreaks represent waiting time in secondary stations.

Sep 29, 06 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

excellent, crisp diagrams by Chris Ware - simple and full of relationships:

jimmy corrigan

mouse and man

Sep 29, 06 10:09 am  · 
 · 
24-7tecture
http://martha.mannlib.cornell.edu/charts/?page_id=2

Check out the Faculty Submissions on the right side

Oct 15, 06 3:19 am  · 
 · 
Sotthi

Venus makes five closest approaches to Earth in eight years.
Venus traverses a five-pointed star over an eight-year cycle in the heavens as seen from the Earth.

Oct 16, 06 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Sotthi
Sotthi

Knotted walks in 3-D:
http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_11_3.html

Oct 16, 06 6:54 am  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

anybody got anything on water (as a theme) in diagrams???? or water thresholds like a wharf???

Oct 17, 06 1:07 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

When i used to live in a dorm most of the arch. students would build loft beds to create more space within the 8 by 8 by 8 cube they stuck u in.
-But in order to build this bed you have to incorperate -DIAGRAM B-
-which is when you and your partner are kneeling in bed your head must not hit the ceiling. this is very important !!! dontcha think!

here you can tell that diagram b works out...

i have never actually put the diagram on paper

Oct 17, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
e

edward tufte on diagrams such as timelines, trees, networks, organizational charts, and the like:

"if your display looks like a knock-off from a corporate annual report or a powerpoint pitch, start over. designs for analytical diagrams should be clear, efficient, undecorated, maplike; the content should be intense, explanatory, evidential, maplike. the metaphor is the map, not stupidity."

Oct 17, 06 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sotthi

D I M E N S I O N O F T I M E B Y K. D I C K R A N.
EXPLOSION [BIG BANG] OR IMPLOSION OF SWASTIKA.

UNITY-IN-DIVERSITY AND DIVERSITY-IN-UNITY.
EACH TRIANGLE IS INTERCONNECTED WITHIN A L L OTHERS
CONTAINING IN THEM IN LARGER OR SMALLER SCALE...
...NEVER CHANGING ITS PRIMAL TRIANGLE FORM.

THE GREAT PYRAMID. UNFOLDED.

Oct 19, 06 5:56 am  · 
 · 
grid

remmy has an diagram of the seattle public library unfolded. i'll try to find it.

Oct 20, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

[url=http://www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/adventures_dr_phil.html]the healing double helix[/img]

Oct 24, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

dang. trying again:

the healing double helix

Oct 24, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

one thing about the way that architects have been presenting information lately though is that i feel that a lot of the diagrams, charts, and graphs i see are more compelling in just the visual wash of the presentation than the information that they present or the way they present it. i've literally watched students spend days copying a simple chart from a book into rhino because they were trying to up the cool factor of something that could also just be incredibly simple. if the information is presented in an "unorthodox" manner which brings to light new possibilities on how information could be interpreted, then that's great, but a lot of the things i see these days are just graphically glorified diagrams that could easily be reproduced with microsoft excel.

Oct 24, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

check out the "RSVP cycles" by Halprin...totally off the chain

Oct 25, 06 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

bossman- i agree, however I wonder if some times its not just a case of the diagram is cohrent to the maker and not the viewer. I have had this problem before - get so caught up in the making and loose the clarity.

Oct 26, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
e

i also agree bossman. tufte talks alot about this in his books.

24-7, the point of diagrams, most of the time, is to communicate information to others effectively. if it only speaks to you and not the audience that you are presenting the information to, how successful is the diagram? maybe we are saying the same thing?

Oct 26, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

e - we are saying the same thing.

Oct 26, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
auvn

hi,
can anyone post diagrams of CCTV and Seattle pulic library please/
Thanks

Oct 27, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
contemax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagram
Nov 1, 06 11:15 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

most of the original diagrams of Seattle Public Library from Rem's presentation. (it's flash, so I can't post the individual images easily...)

Nov 1, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
guppy
http://www.chil.us/
Nov 2, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
contemax

yesterday Hiromi Hosoya of Hosoya Schaefer Architects presented at the "JAPAN NOW" lecture in NYC (with Toyo Ito as Keynote Speaker) the following diagrams. check the links to find the pdf-file:

http://www.hosoyaschaefer.com/pdf/hosoyaschaefer051223.pdf

http://www.hosoyaschaefer.com/seedamm_exhibition.htm

http://www.hosoyaschaefer.com/

Nov 2, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring
Nov 3, 06 4:12 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Heather- glad to hear your swim cross the atlantic is over. great diagram!

Nov 3, 06 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Ah, that pac man chart has made my day!

Nov 3, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
French

great document pencrush, thanks a lot!

Nov 3, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

a diagram from thom mayne's sketchbook.
via

Nov 3, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: