Archinect
anchor

OMA-Milstein Hall design announced today

kissy_face

Pritzker Prize-winning architect Rem Koolhaas and his colleagues will unveil the design for Milstein Hall, an expansion of the Cornell College of Architecture, Art and Planning (AAP), Tuesday, Sept. 19, at 4:30 p.m. in Bailey Hall on campus.

Any people up in Ithaca going to the lecture? Give us the scoop!

Sep 19, 06 11:38 am
rebelliousz_poet
is this **** it?
Sep 19, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
word!

looks like he put all his effort into it.

Sep 19, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Based on the rendering in the link above, it reminds me of Crown Hall at IIT.

Sep 19, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

well he does love mies... just look at his kunstaus...

Sep 19, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

well he does love mies... just look at his kunsthal

Sep 19, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I hope there are some better shots than that...or else someone needs to snatch back those Barkow Leibinger drawings...

Sep 19, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

anybody know where he's presenting in NYC on wednesday ?

Sep 19, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

“We didn’t want to do a literal masterpiece, but an almost mysterious single beam of modernity’’

umm, okay...

Sep 19, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

yes but it is rsvp only...jaja... i too wish i could get in...

Sep 19, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i attended the lecture today. koolhaas based the design on mies' box...but in a different way. i'll post a detailed report on my school blog shortly.

Sep 19, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

THIS IS A CUT AND PASTE JOB FROM MY COMMENTS ON THE NEWS SECTION... BUT IT'S BECAUSE I LOVE THAT IMAGE SO MUCH. IT'S HILARIOUS! BUT IT WORKS!

"This thing is hilarious! Knowing full well Rem's attitude on Cornell before Mostafavi became Dean of the school... Rem gave Cornell exactly what Cornell wanted... a white glass box of a building on pilotis. Slab and Column on a grid. Essentially what Cornellians used to obsess about in the 80s and 90s.

The difference between what Hejduk or Meier would try to achieve and what Rem has done right here is that the building seemingly dissappears. The whole thing is quite fragile actually. Not monumental at all. The thing to be celebrated here is the possible life/program/events of the campus... of course, framed by the white box.

Rem did with the white box parti the way Holl failed to do in his overemphasis of it in Holl's winning scheme for Milstein."

Hey, Rebelliousz_Poet... I know you lady.... you know me?
Hah!

Sep 20, 06 7:17 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Is there anyplace online where more renderings are available to look at?

Sep 20, 06 7:43 am  · 
 · 
va bene

I was at the lecture- def. miesian (is that a word?)

Am I the only one who thinks he's completely disregarding the Foundry?

Sep 20, 06 8:50 am  · 
 · 
kablakistan

I think if the detailing is done well, it will be a very nice contrast with the older buildings around. I am not quite sure why Ithaca's cold winters relate to the Farnesworth house, but okay. I'm buying it. I am just so glad that they are keeping Rand. Maybe Mohsen was the right dean for this time in Cornell's history, the man to get a sensitive and clever architect to design something which will outlast both of them. Glad we weren't stuck with the tesseract that Holl wanted.

Sep 20, 06 9:05 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face
Sep 20, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

yeah ofcourse you know me...

Sep 20, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
BE

I think he took the 40 million budget TOO literally.

Sep 20, 06 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Not too exciting as rendered, hopefully better when built. I don't know. I think PVA&M, though a less renowned school, got a better upgrade. Anyone know the budget on that one?

Sep 20, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

i think the budget was 20 million...

Sep 20, 06 11:51 am  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

I like it, but then I am into little Misian boxes...

Sep 20, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Looks good so far... But like kablakistan said, the detailing had better be flawless.

Sep 20, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
switters

on a windy day at OMA's IIT student center, i watched stainless steel panels fly off the rhetorical tube. the buildign is literally falling apart. i wouldn't expect flawless detailing from this flippant group. oh and that is not a Miesian box, it is a bad 00's knockoff of a bad 60's/70's corporate knock-off of a Miesian

Sep 21, 06 7:05 am  · 
 · 

OMA doesn't do details... as remment has famously said, "no budget, no details"

Sep 21, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

Sep 21, 06 9:52 am  · 
 · 

are you kidding? oma does amazing details. not fancy, not expensive, but brilliant.

look...tensions members and compression members are made different.

not to dis folk like taniguchi or maki, both makers of incredibly delicate details, but this sort of thing is incredibly impressive for me. maybe it is because i have spent too much time in japan, but that ceiling in the educatorium, you know the one where the rebar sticks out to make a reverse dome, that stilll blows me away more than anything i have seen yet. sorry yoshio!

Sep 21, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 

maybe its me getting old, but do those Cornell College students look about 10 yrs old or what?

Sep 21, 06 11:30 am  · 
 · 
AP

no, it's not you...they look like little kiddies for sure.

Sep 21, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 
AP

give 'em a couple years of architecture school, that'll add some age to this innocent freshman faces.

Sep 21, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

although a lot of freshmen attended the lecture, no one in that picture is from my freshman arch class. we are a young bunch though....Most people in my class just turned 18.

Sep 21, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I remember as a fifth year thinking that the newbies looked young...until I dug up pictures of myself from first year. I looked like a 12 yr old with an xacto knife...

Sep 21, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster

If after reading the NY Times article anyone wants to see the Barkow Leibinger scheme, it's here - http://www.barkowleibinger.com/

work -> competitions -> 2003 -> Cornell... no way to do a direct link, sorry...

The form of the OMA scheme may be modest, but looking at why they decided to go with it over the Barkow Leibinger scheme, it is pretty strategic...

Sep 23, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

kid in green striped sweater-"dude, it looks like a pizza box!"
cute chick-"yeah but its a post modern deconstructed pizza box!"
kid in blue shirt- "awesome im taking a picture of it. rad"
kid in green shirt-"hey you can poke it"
cute asian chick(to herself) what would vado do?"

Sep 23, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

plus, it's not like barkow + leibinger aren't getting enough commisions from regine's dad...

and as gray as the winters are in ithaca, increased quantities of natural light = fat bonus...

Sep 23, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
kablakistan

I still think it looks so much better than I feared, so I am happy. I think the massing is good, and I think that will be super important. It doesn't need much texture of its own, surrounded by the brick-patchwork back of sibley.

Thanks for more pictures!

Sep 24, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: