Archinect
anchor

Foster + Borat = Pyramid

notone-co

Following a new architectural thesis topic today, then a whole news article showing a Foster building with the exact same topic.

Question 1: Is this a good topic for a building? "A global centre for religious understanding, a symbol of world peace."

Is that what the world needs, a understanding of what each person's own morals and cultures are? Not a spread of our values surrounding the "American" idea of freedom.

Is this a good Foster building? It is so big and as Hugh Pearman somehow states its soon to be status as a modern wonder of the world.

Keeping his run with a diamond shaped structural exterior, this seems to be in the same character as some of the more recent Foster Buildings.

Need to look at more pictures of the building and read more about before I pass full judgement.

Sep 5, 06 3:30 pm

I think it looks so surreal. It *is* so surreal. There's some more pics of it on the Foster website.

Sep 5, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

hehe, borat was the first thing that came to my mind also.

Sep 5, 06 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
binary

link....wtf...... i like ali-g over borat though.....re-spect

Sep 5, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
notone-co

Check out the video for an update on the current status of life in Kazakastan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFVN59sR4lY

Sep 6, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Are visiters supplied with spandex body suits?

Sep 6, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

The city it's being built in is like disneyland, why bother with religious understanding when there will never be common ground. I find it odd that a building based on objective mathamatical priciples would house something as subjective as religion.

Sep 6, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

interestingly enough, kazakhstan is a prodominatly a muslim country. where mathamatical principles and configurations has a big role hence the abondment of figurative drawing.

i still don't know much about the project though.

the turkic countries of the central asia got the worst of soviet government controlled modern buildings/and city planning who built burokratic buildings and kitchy intersections. and now in the hands of despotic leaders who has figured out to have good ties with the west because of oil and military bases over china, disneyland has a lot of opportunites along with pizza hut...
~~~~
borat is great, he is a jewish tourist and he is more daring than ali g. but ali takes the money because he is the main man.

Sep 6, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

I'd say the pyramid as a design concept isn't just 'mathematical principles'. There's this idea of connection between heaven and earth (Egyptian) and Plato's ideal forms for a start. So I really don't get this 'objective' versus 'subjective' assertion.

Sep 6, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
notone-co

I find the notion to not "bother with religious understanding when there will never be common ground." to be a big problem in many countries.

As an American, I think that the don't bother mentality has created huge issues even beyong religion. There doesn't need to be a world religion, and not one religion should take over. But learning the basis for what people believe in, in regards to religion, could increase our understanding of their motives.

Finding a common ground in all religion is truly easy. Convincing Muslims, Jews, and Catholics and down deep they believe in many of the same things just stated in a different fashion is hard.

Look at Pope John Paul, he was one of the only Popes to visit major Jewish religous sites and called Catholics to have a better understanding of the Jewish religion.

Saying we can convert people to one single idea is blindly utiopian, but the idea of asking one man to understand the man next to him I think is fully attainable.

This debate of religous beliefs as well as politics and abortion cause huge debates and cause people to fight for what they believe in. But fighting for what you believe is not the same as being compassionate and accepting what others believe to be true as well.

Sep 7, 06 7:38 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Foster's architecture aside, I'm disgusted that The Times article (as linked from the news section) mentions absolutely nothing about the frauds, violence and lack of democracy in the state of Kazakhstan, instead painting a picture of some aloof visionary, forward-thinking president. Megalomania and one-party states still mix well it seems.

Sep 7, 06 8:15 am  · 
 · 
a-f

... I mean, maybe Foster can't be blamed for taking the commission, but you have to agree that his design will be very efficient PR material for mr. Nazarbayev.

Sep 7, 06 8:20 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

They totally ripped off gary neuman's cars video for this one

Sep 7, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
ochona

my architect...he ees a prostitute. he ees a very good one. i know. i've had him.

"whah is your ahchitect a pah-ROStitute?"

because he like to make MONEY...high five.

Sep 7, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
ochona
Sep 7, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
notone-co
N.Y. Times Article
Sep 8, 06 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

To make this vision complete, they need to build a bunch of hovels stretching out from the pyramid, as far as the eye can see...

Sep 8, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 

And play out a few of those seriously weird religious rituals the Egyptian priests got up to.

Sep 8, 06 11:03 am  · 
 · 
notone-co

More shots, in the daytime and during construction.

http://www.hughpearman.com/2006/26.html

Sep 13, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Man, I'm so psyched for the Borat movie... I was cackling out loud in the theater when I saw the trailer...

Sep 13, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: