Archinect
anchor

Wow - it's almost like this war in Israel isn't even beginning!

Manteno_Montenegro

Amazing - no threads on what is turning out to be the highest level of aggression and military force in a number of years.

Where do you stand?

Jul 13, 06 11:54 am
larslarson

manteno...there's a discussion in thread central..but it
deserves it's own thread.

seems as though israel's responses to actions taken against
it are disproportionate to what has happened to them...maybe
necessary since they have to maintain a bully-like prescence
in the area in order to maintain some semblance of order.

being surrounded by countries that would prefer you not
existing causes this i would imagine. this newest action though
seems as though it has the potential to spawn ww3...depending
on who joins who. israel will always be backed by the u.s.
and all/most of the countries in the middle east will join forces
against israel...an oversimplification to be sure..but a hairy
situation none the less.
that's an oversimplification

Jul 13, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

anybody else feel like it's only a matter of time before israel takes a shot at iran? might be time to duck and cover.

Jul 13, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

What's crazy is that this is not getting the media coverage I expected. Well, it is now that they're bombing Lebanon, but the Gaza stuff last week was huge and very little coverage, in my opinion.

I figured we'd see Bush all over the place, urging talks, peace, etc. I mean, much less critical events in the past few years have gotten more urgent coverage than this.

Needless to say, this has been the cover story on CNN for two days now.

Jul 13, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

to get urgent coverage the bombing would have needed to kill/dismember a blonde American teenage girl

Jul 13, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i'm very against all the actions israel's taken over the last few weeks.

beginning with the alleged shelling of civilians on a beach in Gaza. and escalating up to this point. do they really think they're going to get anywhere through force?

forceful retaliation against a neighbor in limited, conventional combat seems futile. all it does is further negative sentiments that have been intrinsic for either side for decades. push will come to shove until someone decides to wipe the other off the face of the earth.

Jul 13, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Touché.

Jul 13, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

or the kidnapping of 2 israeli soldiers. today should be telling, many in the prominently shiite southern suburb of beirut have been evacuating since the morning but la joie de vivre libanaise dictates and promises a bacchalian night out in other districts (its almost a weekend after all). a levantine danse macabre in a city larger than a country.

à demain

Jul 13, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
mm

And, of course, GWB has defended Israel... At least the EU and Russian President had the common sense to call Israel's attacks "disproportionate."

However, Hezbollah isn't the official government of Lebanon. As written in the Age, the Australian newspaper, "HEZBOLLAH has long been described as a "state within a state," a Shiite mini-government boasting close ties to Iran and Syria, the country's largest political party and its most potent armed force. But Wednesday's move across the border to capture two Israeli soldiers went a step further: Hezbollah acted as the state, itself, threatening to drag Lebanon into a war."

Israel claimed that the kidnapping was an act of war. However, doesn't an act of war need to be conducted by the government of that country and not a faction group?

Jul 13, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

this is why the lebanese government is distancing itself from hezbollah's actions against israel. and, hezbollah advices just that. its a clever tactic calculated to keep hezbollah on the fringes of the state and allowing it to be seen as a resistance movement...not a faction of the national army. as for the 'state within a state' this is not simply true of hezbollah but of all other sociopolitical factions in lebanon be they, seemingly, disarmed. simply put, its much more complex than you'd think. its a lot of countries in one.

Jul 13, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

was there ever any doubt GW would support israeli aggression? he said a bit ago that every nation has the right to defend itself from terrorism.

though i do believe isreali retaliation is way over the top and as mentioned above, aimed at the wrong people. its sad and 'pathetic' to use our presidents words, that one more powerful nation would decide to punish another nation for the acts of a few radicals... oh wait...

Jul 13, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
A

I'm not surprised. Just read this compelling article about World War III. Also heard that Japan is seriously considering action against N. Korea if they keep lobbing missles into the ocean. It's all going to hit the fan sooner than later.

Jul 13, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Good thing I'm getting my trip to Tokyo out of the way next week!

Jul 13, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

A-

and N.Korea cozy's up with China... ohhhh the wheels are a'turnin'

(should i cancel my sept. trip to china?)

Jul 13, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

SuperBeatledud just sent me this
really informative timeline of Lebanon which got me up to speed on a lot of things. Namely:

1) Syria's pretty good at this car bombing business, and
2) Lebanon has been Israel's punching bag for a long time.

I agree that every nation has a right to defend itself, but Israel's actions seem to go above and beyond defense. It's offense and it's calculated. What would Hezbollah stand to gain from kidnapping Israeli soldiers? Surely they know Israel is more weapons-equipped than all the rest of the countries in that region combined.

This combined with events in N. Korea, India, and Iraq, as mentioned in A's article above, give us a pretty bleak outlook. I, for one, think that the offer we gave to Iran was very reasonable. And I am worried about Japan.

Jul 13, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Sarah and Abraham left their home in Haran to travel in Canaan, because God promised to give them a land. For a time she and Abraham were in Egypt and they pretended to be brother and sister out of fear that Sarah's beauty would incite the Egyptians to kill her husband. Sarah lived ninety years of her life without bearing children and asked Abraham to father a son (Ishmael) through her servant Hagar. God promised that Sarah too would bear a son and she laughed at the idea. Later she laughed for joy when her baby was born, and she named the child Isaac which means "he laughed."

Hagar was Sarah's Egyptian maidservant. When it seemed impossible for Sarah to have children, she urged Abraham to have a child with Hagar. When Hagar became pregnant, Sarah became jealous and Hagar fled into the desert. An angel appeared to her and told her to return. The son that Hagar bore was Ishmael. When Sarah's own son Isaac was born, Sarah asked that Hagar and Ishmael be sent away. God told Abraham to assent to this and God preserved Hagar and Ishmael in the desert.

Abraham's wife Sarah was old and had borne no children. She urged Abraham to have a child with Hagar, her maidservant. The son she bore was named Ishmael. When Sarah later bore a son named Isaac, she did not want Ishmael to inherit anything, so she had Abraham send Hagar and Ishmael away into the desert. God, however, preserved and blessed Ishmael.

So is the story of how the Muslim world thinks they are a more direct descendant of Abraham than the Jews.

The Jews later leave Israel. Some stay, but the Muslims take Jerusalem as their own.

Then the Crusades happen and you can read all kinds of stories about that in popular form today.

Hitler, who’s father was a Jew, kills many Jews. Several years later major world powers form a new Israel. Unfortunately, people who are now called Palestinians are forced to leave their homes for the new Israelis.

Several Mideast wars happen.

Many suicide bombings happen.

Much has been left out, but the common thread is someone is angry and bitter. Or maybe not someone but, using the word that many of you here use so often, somepeople’s “notion” is angry and bitter.

Facile? Yes! So?

Jul 13, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

look at the bright side, if isreal and iran nuke each other than we wont have to deal with either anymore. This looks like the best thing to happen in a long time!!!

Jul 13, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Manteno, just to correct something briefly--yesterday this was NOT the top story on CNN, apart from a brief appearance around 8am Eastern time (before most of America was awake to see it). I know because I kept tabs on their site throughout the day. It was a byline link on both the homepage AND the "world" news page, with headline coverage instead given to the PREVIOUS day's images of the Big Dig collapse and the Mumbai bombings. I almost saved screenshots I was so disgusted.

Jul 13, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

Interesting that some of the comments on here seem to have an anti-Israel bias while also totally glossing over the Palestinian militant/Hezbollah actions. Is it even possible to have a debate over the conflict? Can everyone admit that they've already chosen sides by now?

Did this begin with the "alleged shelling" of civilians on a beach in Gaza? I have heard that the explosion could have been caused by mines placed by militants after the beach was used by the IDF to land commandos. So I can either pick whichever one I want, or I can go even further back...to the second intifada...the first...and find something that one side did that seems more disgusting than what the other side did.

What is an "appropriate" response? Was it appropriate for Palestinian militants to use the newly-ceded Gaza strip as a rocket launching pad? This is a spider web of nastiness, but how well has diplomacy worked for the past decade? How do you deal with fundamentally perverted groups like Hezbollah or Hamas?

Jul 13, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the rapture is coming! the rapture is coming!

or that's what those cult evangelicals want. They seem to have manipulated GW into doing everything possible to start armegedon!

why doesn't the main stream media ever report on the bush administrations messianic agenda?

Jul 13, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Yo: What's up with the holy geositecentric crowds?

Ya: I don't know. Maybe they need to know where g*d is all the time. They say he is really slippery. But then they are the one's to know, they say.

Yi: It's all about Earth antennae locations that can can tune into g*ds thoughts. These sites are special and have been preserved since the Atlantis people dispersed.

Ya: Are you telling me g*d thinks?

Yu:

Jul 13, 06 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

there are actually people out there who DO see world war three in the middle east as a fulfillment of the prophecies in the book of revelations, but...yeah, it would be kind of hard to base foreign policy on provoking that war and sparking the end times. tends to cut down on campaign contributions when there's no point in campaigning.

Jul 13, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

it's not hard to be elected on this platform. we have a president who wants the end of the world or at least the end of democracy.

Jul 13, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

As for bias, I believe Americans should NOT support any country that is a theocracy. In this case, both the Lebanese/hezbolah and Isreal represent theocratic states based not on reason, but ancient bullshit. While Isreal is the more western and more advanced nation, I can no more support them and their belief they live in "god's chosen land" any more than a group that promotes suicide bombers.

Lets encourage the Southern Baptist coalition to move there as well, then let them battle royal so the rest of us can continue on in peace.

Jul 13, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

platypus- I'm all for tossing the Southern Baptists in. Those "I'll pray for you" people will get eaten alive by people who know that if there really IS a God and he really IS the Lord of all of Creation, he's damned well worth dying for. Or better yet, worth killing people for, especially if they've pissed you off anyways. But that's another topic.

Seriously, the middle east confuses me. When I was trying to learn geography in elementary school, the countries kept changing names and borders, so I never really learned that bit of the world as well as I should have. Are they STILL just going on about who gets the 'holy' bits of the map? Is that what this is all about? And if so, when do people wise up and declare that area an independent state where anybody can move to or move from, so that people don't keep fighting over it?

Jul 13, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i really believe, and yes it is strange, that a war is not on inevitable, but needs to happen. whoa! needs to happen??

this tit for tat thing only causes the anger to fester and fear, hatred and the like are perpetuated further. like a bully picking on a weakling. an outright confrontation will bring out everything - all of the anger - from all sides, and then someone can sue for peace, and the UN can re-partition the area. perhaps after this war, we can all get along, in the spirit of peace and harmony, and all the children of the world will join hands and sing a U2 song.

just do it!

Disclaimer: The above statement is not endorsed by Nike, U2, Steve Martin or the UN, but gosh darn it the kids love it!

Jul 13, 06 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
A

I just got a string of auto-emails set up through my brokerage account. All alerts that stocks I'm considering a purchase of have all hit my previously set buy price. Usually get one a month. Not 5 in one morning!

Long story short...the stock markets are tanking right now.

The reason...oil prices are nearing $80/barrel

Why?...There is another war starting in the middle east.

$4.00 gasoline in USA...right around the corner.

Jul 14, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

they are tanking right now. the dow is down over 1% today, lost 1.6% yesterday, and lost over 1% the day before.

Jul 14, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Goddamn it. I JUST started my 401k, too.

Jul 14, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

i wouldn't call it tanking. trading volume is low so it is not as if there is massive sell-off happening. just people waiting on the sidelines to buy.

Jul 14, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

unless you are selling...then it's better to have low prices.

buy low, sell high

Jul 14, 06 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
A

What will probably impact you and I much sooner is the cost of oil. Just filled up the tank for 2.89. Good thing since I assume anything under $3.00 will sound cheap really soon with the way the oil futures have been on a rampage lately.

Jul 14, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

rationalist, if you're just starting your 401k, a tanking market is a good thing.

Jul 14, 06 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

I know you guys are right, but someone it seems like a bad sign. My first dip into the stock market, and it takes a decided turn for the worse.

Jul 14, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

someHOW it seems like a bad sign. Grrr.

Jul 14, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

penny stocks? come on metamechanic...they're called micro-caps these days.

anyhow, back to the war...my hunch is that israel might be trying to bait iran into getting involved and that would then give them a justifiable reason to launch strikes directly against the iranians. mahmoud ahmadinejad has been consistently talking about wiping israel "off the map" while attempting to develop a nuclear arsenal. george w bush has said that a nation has a right to defend itself and it doesn't surprise me that the usa is officially mum on the aggressive tactics of israel. israel has nukes & iran doesn't have them...yet. time is running out on the israeli advantage there and hence their rational for becoming much more aggressive. will iran take the bait?

of course, this is pure conjecture on my part...and i'm just an architect so what do i know.

Jul 15, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 
binary

doesnt the world end in 2012......

work=make money=moe' money=moe problems

b

Jul 15, 06 12:17 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

did anyone else watch the security council on c-span last night? it's like some sort of theater the way ambassadors would just talk past each other. john bolton needs a haircut even more than i do.

Jul 15, 06 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
LaTorpilleRose

For anyone confused on the relation of John Bolton to Michael Bolton, just for the record, he's not his older brother.

He's Michael Bolton's ex-husband.

Jul 15, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Geee .. thanks Israel !! you really took care of them militants !!!

sigh .... no Justifications ... simply none !!

Jul 16, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

No image to accompany, but rockets do go both ways.

"Two more Israelis, a woman and her grandson, 5, were killed and 10 wounded, including 3 other children, when a rocket fell on their house in Meron."

No justification, indeed. It looks like Syria and Iran are hanging Hezbollah out to dry, perhaps shocked by the Israeli response? Even Saudi Arabia has called Hezbollah irresponsible. I can understand condemning Israel's severe campaign, but it becomes increasingly insane for Hezbollah to continue holding their IDF hostages.

Jul 16, 06 2:20 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Crazy isn't it !!!

Jul 16, 06 3:39 am  · 
 · 
yenafar

US is over-supporting israeal. why it veto each resolution in un ? us makes UN a clown. and itself. see how bolton repeat whatever israeli ambasedor said.

Jul 16, 06 3:54 am  · 
 · 
spaceman

"The Balfour Declaration, made in November 1917 by the British Government...was made a) by a European power, b) about a non-European territory, c) in flat disregard of both the presence and wishes of the native majority resident in that territory...[As Balfour himself wrote in 1919], 'The contradiction between the letter of the Covenant (the Anglo French Declaration of 1918 promising the Arabs of the former Ottoman colonies that as a reward for supporting the Allies they could have their independence) is even more flagrant in the case of the independent nation of Palestine than in that of the independent nation of Syria. For in Palestine we do not propose even to go through the form of consulting the wishes of the present inhabitants of the country...The four powers are committed to Zionism and Zionism, be it right or wrong, good or bad, is rooted in age-long tradition, in present needs, in future hopes, of far profounder import than the desire and prejudices of the 700,000 Arabs who now inhabit that ancient land,'" Edward Said, "The Question of Palestine."

Everything might be different now if the British had rather given up Iraq to the Zionists in 1917.

Jul 16, 06 4:40 am  · 
 · 
yenafar
Jul 16, 06 5:27 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hmmm i think syria ought to be dribblin' that one...

Jul 16, 06 8:25 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my prediction...israel will not stand for hezbollah killing eight of their troops and sending very lethal rockets into their territory. hezbollah has their chest puffed up since they are the only game in town in lebanon and may be sending a message about iran's nuclear program. here's what i think will happen...israel is going to roll into lebanon, occupy the territory that they pulled out of a few years back. but it wont stop there. they are going to flatten hezbollah. i think thats their decision since syria's pull out of lebanon no check and balance exists in the country. i think syria will do nothing, since the us of a is on one side of them and israel is on the other. hezbollah is calling for an open war, well i think they are going to get it.

Jul 16, 06 9:30 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I don't know how anyone can think that either side is in the right. They both have far too much blood & bullshit on their hads to claim the high ground.

someone just needs to tell them both to shut the hell up. I'm sick of the BS rhetoric from both sides. Olmert, angry muslim guy(s), you're both pathetic. get over it and stop killing people.

Jul 16, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

does anyone have a count of how many civilians have been killed over the last week or so vs. soldiers/militants/whateveryoucallthem? the entire conflict seems to be morally bankrupt.

Jul 16, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

roughly 100 on the lebanese side. 4 on the israeli side. (from the LA times as of this morning)

unfortunately, might equals right in this case.

Jul 16, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

11 soldier deaths on the israeli side. hezbollah deaths are unconfirmed, but israeli troops are targeting hezbollah leader's homes which is the reason for high civilian casualty

Jul 16, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: