Archinect
anchor

Mopeds & Scooters

wood_

I might consider getting one though I'm not sure what the downsides are of having one - anyone with experiences of having one? This is probably my only means of transportation when I move out of state besides using public buses etc which I hope to avoid. I can't afford a decent car that will last me for four years while I'm in school.

Jul 9, 06 9:53 pm
khmay

downside, it's difficult to mount a flatscreen in the trunk. you may be called 'battin'

upside, theyre hot and you'll be known as the kid who drives the moped to studio (no one will ask you for a ride home @ 3am)

Jul 9, 06 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

if you get one. do not bring it to NoHo scooters in north hollywood. they've had my vespa for 7 weeks and they're still "waiting on parts". i'm livid and thinking about talking to a lawyer and or the better business bureau soon. i wanted to go pick it up and take it to another shop but they mistook my bike for another. mine was in pieces and couldn't be taken away.

Jul 10, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
cf

How does the Vespa type scooter differ from a Honda 250cc scooter that is midway between a scooter and a motercycle (besides the obvious)?
What mileage do these bikes get?
How do they handle at their top speed and what top speed?
ACfA, is your experience characteristic of Vespa ownership?

Jul 10, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

ACFA, I've discovered that the best way to deal with scumbags like these is to call them like this:
"Hey, I was wondering whats going on with my Vespa"
"Could I get the address of your manager or boss, since I am thinking of writing to the California Consumer Board about my case and was wondering if you guys would like a copy of my complaint letter"

I used to think this approach would never work, but it actually does. I bet you the owner will call you in 1-2 days and ask you about the complaint you were going to file.

Jul 10, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

thanks. i might try it. i just am scared they'll do something to my beloved vespa...

she's a 1980 p125x, italian made.

if you get someone to tune up the vespa properly, i've heard it common to get anywhere between 50-90 mpg.

i wouldn't EVER feel comfortable going over 50 mph on this thing esp. on the highway but it's great for city commuting, the LA traffic can be scary, but it's great to run errands on etc. it's a riot to scoot around town on the weekends. so much fun. the first time you try it, you'll get this perma-grin on your face for the next few days.

i've actually never ridden a modern scooter or anything of the like so i can't really tell you how it compares. but i def can tell you you'll turn a lot more heads... and you get to say "ciao bella!" to the cuties on the street as you ride around :-D

Jul 10, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
mm

You should buy a luxury condo in Manhattan. All the best condos are giving away Vespas with the purchase!

link

Jul 10, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
TG

ACFA: I've got a 1970 GTR, and it has also spent its share of time at NoHo. Just had some minor work done at Cycle Products West on Pico, close to the Arsenal. They were super fast and friendly, and even better, didn't require a schlep over the mountains to get there. Give them a try next time...

Jul 10, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

TG- thanks much. I didn't know there was a repair shop on the westside (it's only 5 min away from me!). I'll def. give them a call next time. what color's your gtr? i actually wanted a gtr but

I've heard GREAT things about the scooter shop in Orange. But it's def. a hike from west LA. But supposedly they routinely get vintage vespas tuned up to 70-80 mpg... they def. seemed much more professional.

My Baby:

The grips are now black and it has a tan seat instead. Saving $$$ to get the bike repainted VERY glossy black.

Jul 10, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

Are you in the states?
I would suggest you to buy something from Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki, they are all equivalent. It' just a matter or design and cost.
And if you need parts to be replaced you will not wait weeks to have them fixed.
It was the same way the very first years Honda arrived in Europe, it took ages to have a windshield or a light to be replaced.

To a Center for Ants: I'm not surprised that you are waiting for 8 weeks for a part to be replaced. It's a 1980 Vespa, it's not easy to find an original part to replace the broken one. Not even here In Italy.

Jul 10, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

Unfortunately it's not in production, it was exhibited at the Milan design week 2006.

electro scoot

Jul 10, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

I think I might just settle for a cruiser so I can avoid the licensing part. I'm not particularly interested in going beyond 40 mph on a two wheeler. Any opinions on these gsmotor scooters?

Jul 10, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
TG

ACFA: WHere will you get the paint job? I'm thinking about it for mine. At the moment, it's purple.

Jul 11, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

There's a guy that does painting/bodywork in LA that seems to really know his stuff. His work is GORGEOUS and he seems to really care about doing things the right way (no acid dip, hand hammers out all dings, no bondo, etc.). His website, the Dolly and Hammer. I need to get the cash together... probably about $1000. Probably 800 for the painting alone and 200 for a new front fender and glovebox door.

Matteo-
I know some vintage parts are harder to get, but there are lots of OEM parts available in the US. I called a different shop and they said they could give me a two week guarantee for my bike to be back in my hands. The shop ran a really amateur show even besides that. When I called, they never even bothered to pretend they were checking the status of my bike. They just said it wasn't ready, point blank. And when I asked about my bike, they didn't even know which one it was.

Jul 11, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Coming back from lunch at Joe T. Garcias, I was driving up Main Street to toward the court house when I stopped behind a hippy on an old moped at a red light. This moped was a bicycle with pedal gears on the right side of the rear wheel and motor driven gear on the left side. The engine appeared to be no larger than 25cc. The 1 gallon tear shaped gas tank was on the top cross member as they are on motorcycles. The seat had two 3" diameter springs at the rear with the planes in the vertical. The handle bar was almost straight and turned 90 degrees at the grips. The moped required some pedal effort to start and held 40mph with ease.

Jul 11, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

where is it that you're moving to? we've got an aprilia scarabeo (150cc - though now they may only sell the 250 & 500, which I would go for anyway - the more power the better with a newer bike) - love it. check out previous threads on here about it. the only downsides i can see are riding in the rain would be scary, you don't want to take it on the freeway (though it is street legal but i wouldn't do it), and you can't carry much baggage. it's very stable with larger tires than the vespa. though i love the old vespas i decided in the end i didnt want to have to work on it and so far we've had it for 3 years - never any problems at all...

Jul 11, 06 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

oh, and though i initially thought one of the 50cc would be ok for my limited use and i was afraid of the weight (i'm an average size lady), so glad i didn't get the smaller one because i would have wanted a bigger engine immediately.

Jul 11, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I pulled into the discount gas station to fill up my car today. Took a look at the pump and the guy before me put in $75.00 worth of gas....ouch! Thinking it might be time for a scooter!

Jul 11, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh my god. it's finally ready!! my vespa is coming back to me this weekend! :-D

Jul 13, 06 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

ok, reviving an old scooter thread.... how scary is it to ride one in traffic? Have any of you guys ever been in an accident on your scooter? How long did it take you until you were very comfortable driving it?

WonderK's got me thinking... scooters are a pretty sweet way to get around the city, but I'm a bit nervous about being so exposed on the road, i.e. if I got in an accident I'd be crushed like a bug.

Mar 29, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

quickness and agility are your defense...I rode a motorcycle for two years...sold it when I got too comfortable on it and almost wrecked it...scarred me straight off of it. Fear on a motorcycle or scooter is a good thing - keeps you aware.

Mar 29, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh look, there's another thread!

I heard from *someone* who lives in LA that the only two people they've known who had scooters there both got hit by cars.

That's not stopping me though! :o)

Mar 29, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I know multiple people who have been hit on bikes in LA, but not scooters.

Mar 29, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

well rationalist, I would say just do city driving and try not to scoot around on "major Streets" like BIG Santa Monica, whenever you can, unless theres traffic!

Mar 29, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

i'd go with the honda 50....its about 60mpg and can zip you through traffic nicely. Like the vespa it has an iconic design...parts are easy to find in the US or through China

Mar 29, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, fortunately I won't have to worry about things like 'big' Santa Monica, as I'm thinking of getting one for my move to Seattle (I think, or I guess Baltimore and San Fran and New York are still distant possibilities). WonderK, on the other hand, will get crushed by the LA traffic.

Hmm, maybe the thing to do is rent one for a day or two and see how the driving goes.

Mar 29, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

indeed. so seattle then??? wow! Congrats!

Mar 29, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
TG

Scooting in LA traffic isn't so different from anywhere else -- wherever you are, if you are on two wheels in traffic, you are basically invisible.

Best advice is to be hyper alert and assume that every car on the road is going to do the stupidest thing possible at any moment. Plan for the worst and try to stay out of harm's way. FOr instance -- if you're coming to an intersection, assume the car on your right is going to make a right and hit you. If you're coming to a light, assume the guy coming in the opposite direction is going make a left to hit you. if you're going straight, assume the guy next to you is going to change lanes suddenly and hit you.

in short, assume that all the cars on the road actively want to run you over.

Be careful.

Mar 29, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i ride a e-bike to work it is amazing

58mph in speed trials at boneville but mine does about 40

Mar 29, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

Sachs MadAss - available in US now - supposed to rock!:

Mar 30, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
Mar 30, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Electric.

Mar 30, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Aside from design, motorcycles are my passion in life, and have been since I was 8 years old (received my first dirt bike). I guess that means I've been riding for 20 years now. Time flies.

I know it's not a motorcycle thread, but scooters are a lot like motorcycles in many ways. The Japanese brands are all less expensive to buy, fix and maintain, are exponentially more reliable, and as mentioned above, you generally don't have to wait long for parts.... and you can always find somebody who's experienced at working on your vehicle.

Vespas were awesome little scoots back in the day. Today, they're overpriced, unreliable, and WAY too trendy (relatively speaking, of course). Vespas and the like are today's fashion accessories, which is cool if that's what you're after. But if you're more interested in cheap, FUN, reliable transportation (and not waiting around 7 weeks for parts), then go Japanese: Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.

This year is the first I won't have a bike on the road in about 8 years, as I'm moving long-distance in a few months, and insurance companies want insurance paid up-front 100% (and essentially no refunds past 3 months...) I'm crying a little on the inside.

Mar 30, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: