Archinect
anchor

pennant race

brian buchalski

a long time coming, but white sox vs. tigers...already feels like september, no?

Jun 26, 06 11:40 pm
FOG Lite

Oh man you are so going to jinx someone with this thread. It's waaaay too early to start this up. Can we at least wait until after the all-star break?

(David Ortiz is Superman!)

Jun 27, 06 12:08 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i'm going to side w/ FOG Lite... WAYYYY too early...

in the AL Central and west the second place team is still within 2 of the div. leader... and the same goes for the NL Central, and the NL West with arizona in last only THREE games back. stop jumping the gun and wait for late august. then come back and post on this thread.

and FOG. STOP SAYING THINGS LIKE THAT! you're going to make bad things happen. (why do baseball fans get so superstitious?)

Jun 27, 06 3:35 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Saying what? That Ortiz is Superman? I didn't say it, one of those guys on WEEI said it after his walk off performance yesterday. 2nd walk off hit by Big Pappi in as many days, woo-hoo! Give that man a raise!

I will say I love the way Detroit is playing. See what happens when we don't cede the NHL or NBA to them? They start playing baseball....

Jun 27, 06 5:13 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the tigers mauled the scrubs(sounds like a headline!) and the sox will darn the scrubs(ie chicago cubs) again soon. and still the wrigley field party house is packed. go figure.

Jun 27, 06 8:20 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

baseball makes golf seem exciting.

Jun 27, 06 8:24 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

then you dont know chin music

Jun 27, 06 9:04 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm just glad to see Detroit doing well after the saga of the losing season a few years back. That broke my heart.

Also I'm glad that we're talking about a pennant race that involves someone other than the Yankees and the Braves. It's fun to watch them suck.

Jun 27, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the redlegs are fielding a fine club this season...

Jun 27, 06 9:45 am  · 
 · 
AP

i know chin music, and i've put in my time with game... on tv, baseball does make golf seem exciting. it's fun to go to the ballpark (I have been to many Sox games, a couple of Cubs games - when Ryne Sandberg was still playing - and more recently, a hand full of Marlin's games...), but ... give me the highlights on sportscenter and I've got my fill.

pre-mature indeed. this is WORLD cup time. once every 4 years.

/hijack

carry on...

Jun 27, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

as an old fan, i definitely realize that it's still pretty early...having said that, i've always felt that a pennant race begins when you start paying attention to not only how your favorite team plays on a daily basis but also how you're nearest competitors are doing everyday. with that in mind, i've been hooked on the sox/tigers for probably close to a month now it's shaping up to be a good one.

Jun 27, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

I'm going to see pappi and my sox in seattle in three weeks, cannot wait. Cheap seats, overpriced beer, whos' comin with?

Jun 27, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am thinking about heading over to the triple a indy game tonight. its very close to my crib. but its gettin nasty lookin outside...

Jun 27, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

coming to LA after being in boston for sox games is dissapointing. no cask and flagon, no green monster, no fenway... sigh...

but at least we got Nomah!

Jun 27, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

the devilrays are only 14 games out of the AL east...

i guess it could be worse... i could live in kansas city and have the pathetic royals...

next week we have series with the bosox followed up by one with the yanks, so at least i'll get to see some other good teams...

Jun 27, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

sox are in pittsburgh to pick on the poor pirates, meanwhile clemens will be pitching to a soldout crowd at the suddenly electric tiger stadium...in other words, another beautiful evening.

triple a sounds like the perfect thing to do on a june tuesday, don't let the weather spook you, plenty of time yet before first pitch.

yankees suck

Jun 27, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

did they move the walls in at whatever tigers stadium is called? how's denny mclain doing?

Jun 27, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

not for nothing, but the red sox suck and LETS GO METS!

Jun 27, 06 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Bring it!

(crap, bases loaded)

Jun 27, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

two words. bill buckner.

and i have won the day!

Jun 27, 06 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
postal

hmmm... i have in my hand a glossy pin... micheal jordan on one knee smiling... and the gloriously catchy phrase, "it'll be sweet to repeat"...

oh how i wish...

but seriously, it may be a bit early... (i'm a life long uber die hard sox fan...) i like the sox chances... i don't understand why detroit won't go away, but this is what everybody was saying when they doubted the sox last year... so i'm not even going to predict, i'm just glad to be in a race, and am just using this space to do what I've always loved to do...

GO GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

lletdownl knows...

(by the way, i brought the broom that swept boston to puffers)

and for all of you who say baseball is boring... i disagree...

for instance... cards 0 - sox 1 : bobby jenks vs. pujols in the top of the ninth

or.... houston 9 - sox 1 : sox stage a huge comeback, iguchi hits a 3 run biggety bomb in the 8th, then ties it with a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth (sox lost, but cmon, that's a game you'll never forget)

baseball is pure

Jun 27, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

baseball is great because it is one of the few popular sports that isn't tied into "clock time." it recalls the pre-modern age whereas most sports like basketball and even the uber popular football could exist without a clock.

anyhow...it's probably uncalled for at this point to still be picking on bill buckner. the man has suffered enough. now roger clemens, on the other hand...oh it was sweet to see him get out-pitched by nate robertson last night.

postal, the reason the tigers are keeping up with the white sox is because they have the pitching and a wily old manager to keep them focused. it should be a fun summer. i'm most impressed that the
white sox just ripped off 9 straigh wins and the tigers still managed to stay ahead of them for first place. if anything, i almost feel bad for teams like the cardinals, astros, and pirates...six game losing streaks are going to be very in fashion this summer for teams playing chicago and detroit back-to-back.

Jun 28, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

betadine-
what was that score last night? i can't remember... who won? i think it might have been... hm... hang on... let me check espn.com...

Jun 28, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

it just keeps getting better...tigers 5 - astros 0 this afternoon.

nate robertson and rookie justin verlander have just put up back-to-back shut-outs to beat roger clemens and andy pettite, respectively. a very sweet moment.

can the white sox keep pace this evening in pittsburgh? poor pirates...tigers come to town in two days too

Jun 28, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

betadine...
(remember you started it)
i'll bring it into the 21st century for you...scott kazmir.

bill buckner and the
met's championship happened 20 years ago..and for the
time in between (other than this year) the mets have been
virtually irrelevant.. subway series and such besides. heck
they're like the celtics...

18 years from now sox fans will be able to relate again to what it must
be like to be a met's fan...except that there's no other baseball
team in boston to compete with year after year for fan's support.

with that said. i like much of what the met's are doing..
they have a good young squad with a bunch of studs...
they should be good for the next couple years.

Jun 28, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i believe billy buckner won a batting crown while a member of the chicago scrubs.

Jun 28, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
cf

It looks certain: Cubbies vs. an inconsequential team to be named later

Jun 28, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

pedro at fenway tonight...should be another great game to watch.

Jun 28, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

puddles..
pedro v. beckett...even better.
lets hope it lives up to the hype

Jun 28, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

What happened to Pedro? Showering after 3 innings? I missed the game, how was he received by the Fenway faithful? Better than "Where is Roger" I hope. I miss ol' Petey.

And I think I actually started it with betadine, but I didn't want to make the point that the day he was talking about was 20 years ago. Roughly the last time the NL was relevant. (11 game streak, 11 interleague games. Coincidence? Perhaps, but there are a lot of losses in the NL's column during these couple weeks.)

Caveats all around, I like Mets and Detroit this year and I have probably been to more NL games than AL. (cheap tickets!)

Jun 29, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i only caught the last couple of innings of the red sox/mets game last night and didn't get to see anything interesting. the detroit/houston game the day before was much more interesting.

Jun 29, 06 9:49 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

FOG

petey got a standing O last night. as he had the night before.
post-game he said he just didn't have anything and that boston
is really on a tear right now. there's not the same hatred for
pedro for whatever reason...mainly because he's more likeable
than roger and because he left for a better offer with more years.
a deal the sox were unwilling to make. most fans understand
this in beantown. unlike damon who just left for more money
and said he was disrespected...also petey went to the NL so it's
all good.

i believe this year is one of the larger discrepancies between the
NL and AL..i think the overall interleague record is something
like 40 games in the AL's favor at the moment.

as far as the 11 game winning streak..i think it has a lot to
do with playing at home as well. boston plays a lot better there
and they've had a lot more road games up til now. 36H vs 39A
after last night and this homestand...as opposed to the yanks
who've played 40H and 36A

glavine v. schilling tonight.

Jun 29, 06 9:56 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

that glavine-schilling matchup sounds tasty.

yeah, the red sox are always good at fenway and their 26-10 record there is one of the best in baseball but how about this: detroit is 28-11 on the road this year and about to head to pittsburgh for a three game set against the reeling pirates. yikes! (actually, this is perfect scenario for a let down so i wouldn't be surpised if the pirates dropped a sweep on the tigers, but we'll see)

Jun 29, 06 10:04 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

pedro helped the sox break the curse and will always be loved in fenway. and he went to the mets and not that OTHER NY team.

Jun 29, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oops...white sox lost to pittsburgh this afternoon. how will the tigers handle their trip to pennsylvania?

Jun 29, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

damn it cliff polite... thats ok... ill tell you what...
chi sox are taking the central.
sox play detroit 14 more times this year,
detroit has had a very easy first half of the season schedule wise, had a one-two week stretch where they had to play sox red sox yankees boston cleveland, went something like 6-14 against real teams... meanwhile they beat up on the LOUSY NL like all other AL teams, and the royals who they have one series left with...
detroit is hot, indeed, but they will not last, they will get the wild card, but in those 14 games against the sox, they are going to lose 10, and done
go sox
chi sox

you cant mess with us, pitchings comming around, bull pens coming around (except cliff notes) best 3-4-5 hitters in baseball, one of the deepest lineups 1-9 and perhaps THE best bench in the baseball.

you can put it on the board

Jun 29, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah, the tigers had a rough stretch where they went 5-8 against the indians, yankees, red sox and white sox...but during that same stretch (may 26 -june 8) the white sox managed to post a matching record of 5-8 against the likes of the blue jays, indians, rangers and tigers while gaining no ground in the standings. the white sox also recently won 11 of 12 games and gained virtually nothing on the tigers. ouch.

beating the bad and average teams is easily more than half the equation. and you better check the schedule again because detroit has three series (10 games) left against the hapless royals, including 6 of their last 9 games at the end of the season.

and another correction, detroit and chicago meet up again only 13 more times during the regular season (not 14) and 7 of those are in detroit. of course, given tigers stellar road record, maybe that is to chicago's advantage. we'll see.

Jun 30, 06 1:57 am  · 
 · 
postal

lately, detroit has been seeing all the poor damaged ships right after the white sox sink 'em...

captian hand and the jolly bossard are drafting...
www.palehosesix.blogspot.com

Jun 30, 06 8:10 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

well..great game last night...

now lets go mets..put a hurtin on the yanks.

red sox are due for a loss this evening goin up against
dontrell willis and pitching jason johnson.

nice homestand though.

Jun 30, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

race to the cellar. the scrubs now two games ahead of the pirates.

Jul 1, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

cf,
the department of standardization asks:

"cubbies vs and inconsequential team to be named later"

, what are you talking about??

Jul 1, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

so i was readin the scrubs website this morning, before they lost today's game, about the game they lost yesterday. i was reading about juan pierre bein thrown out in a bang bang play at the plate. his comment was " i thought i was in there. it could have gone either way" wtf? you are always safe!!! you always say you were safe even if you are blatantly out. goddamn it. the whole team should be fired. i really wonder what the hell has happened to the modern ballplayer? is it the money or what? could you imagine pete rose sayin that? or billy martin? or lenny dykstra? redickulousness...

Jul 1, 06 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Just checked those AL standings, that's a mighty deep cellar over there in the Central division, vado. Ouch.

Someone posted the standing ovations for Pedro over on Youtube. Nice to see a player getting the respect from his old team.

And let me just say the 17 games without an error is doubly impressive for any team with Manny out there.

And a big thank you to the Mets today as well.

(David Ortiz is Superman!)

Jul 1, 06 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
postal

sorry scrubs fans... tough one today, but it's not like you have any reason to play this season anyway...

and thank you pirates for beating detroit, i didn't think that was going to happen...

and twinkies, well just keep your distance, before postal's gotta choke a bitch!

Jul 2, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
adso

Thanks god interleague is ending so I don't have to hear the talking heads on ESPN blather on about AL superiority- we get the picture already.

Rough year(s) to be an NL fan, although watching the Braves tank is good fun.

Jul 2, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

buerhle gave up seven in the first and may yet win the game as zambrano grooved one to the palehose's eighth place hitter with two out and two on. suddenly its a two run game.

Jul 2, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

15-11??? what the hell kinda of score is that? too bad the white sox lost to the lowly cubs...i guess they like hanging 2.5 games behind the tigers.

and i'm also glad that this interleague stuff is over. it was beginning to really skew perception of succes, i.e., winning two out of three games just wasn't enought to keep pace anymore with the other american league teams. a sweep was practically required. time to turn gravity back on and bring some of these teams (boston, chicago, detroit, minnesota, etc.) back down to earth.

the good news is that my tigers have passed the mid-point of there schedule and with a record of 55-26 after their first 81 games, even if they only play .500 ball for the rest of the season then they'll still post about 95 wins and that should put them in the thick of a post-season run...and we've only waited 18 years since we've played a meaningful game in september. should be really fun.

Jul 2, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

in what was expected to be a pitchers duel, the scrubs went yard at least five times, scoring as many runs today as they have in the last three weeks.

Jul 2, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the twinkies are also making a run.

Jul 2, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
adso

The AL Central is exactly the reason the wild card is a good thing. Tigers Chisox and Twins can basically demolish the rest of the league. All-star team is of course, filled with Yankees and Red Sox.

Jul 3, 06 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah i looked at the teams. boston/yankees vs. mets. what fun not...even though the scrubs suck, michael barret should have made that team. if only for the reason of busting pierzinski for no apparent reason. he should get the scrubs spirit award.

Jul 3, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: