writings by james corner

two great readers...

theory in landscape architecture, simon swaffield editor

recovering landscaperecovering landscape, james corner editor[/url]

contemporary theory

Jun 16, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

sorry here's the james corner book: www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568981791/ref=pd_bxgy_text_b/103-3092600-3205435?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Jun 16, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

both are good, but between the two, definitely read recovering landscape

Jun 16, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I second Recovering Landscape. I would also add J.B. Jackson's The Vernacular Landscape, and perhaps Paul Shepheared's The Cultivated Wilderness.

Not exactly on point, but Leo Marx's The Machine in the Garden is tops.

Jun 16, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

I suggest Ian McHaarg's Design With Nature, Raymond Williams' "Ideas of Nature," William Cronon's (ed) Uncommon Ground, Spirn's Granite Garden, Rosalind Krauss in The Anti-Aesthetic and check out Neocreationism and the Illusion of Ecological Restoration by del Tredici for good measure.

Jun 17, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Jens Jensen, Siftings

Jens Jensen, The Clearing

Jun 17, 06 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

no mention of Marc Treib - Modern Landscape Architecture: A Critical Review .

i've always thought Henri Lefebrve's writings were more about landscape than anything.

Jun 17, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

which brings me to another question why 'landscape architecture' is always thought of as the 'green, fluffy, pastoral, and reminiscent'?

Jun 17, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
noci

Landscape and Memory by Simon Schama goes to great lenghts explaining the ties between culture and landscape

Jun 17, 06 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: