Archinect
anchor

American Architecture? Bendy Buildings

imagebytekid

Dear American Architects,

Bendy Buildings

Please see the pictures @ http://www.imagebytedesign.com/arts, to see forms that were designed and created between 1991-94 in Australia, the College of Fine Arts (University Of New South Wales) Sydney. Australia.

I submit to you that there is a great similarity in the forms for the Bilboa building by Frank Gehry and some of the forms (buildings) created in submission for the WTO site.

I present them to your discussion list for the purpose of posterity and disucssion.

Yours sincerely

Pierre Stokx

Image Byte Design
http://www.imagebytedesign.com/

Jul 14, 04 1:16 am
gasp

your link doesn't work

Jul 14, 04 3:16 am  · 
 · 

try now

Jul 14, 04 3:25 am  · 
 · 
betamax

those are interesting images but i didn't see any buildings

Jul 14, 04 8:23 am  · 
 · 
mbr

First, don't forget that Bilbao was built in 1997, therefore making the design at least a few years older than that, so maybe your idea of these guys influencing Gehry is backwards, maybe they saw his competition entry (Bilbao was a competition) or his Fred and Ginger or his Vitra Museum (which were before 94).

But more importantly I saw nothing on that site beyond some squiggly lines that could be anything. Personally, I didn't see anything that even vaguely resembled Gehry.

If there is more, point us to it.

Jul 14, 04 11:18 am  · 
 · 
e

gotta agree with mbr. so what.

Jul 14, 04 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Your implied connection between these "bendy buildings" and Bilbao is ludicrous at best.

Jul 14, 04 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

I think that mickey mouse painting with the global pretty much spells out the relationship to me perfectly. Thank you for opening up my eyes.

Jul 14, 04 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

i checked out your website, pierre stokx, what is image byte designs really? are you a legit designer of something? graphics is all i could see. any connection between what i see on imagebytedesign.com and a gehry building fails simply in the sense that imagebytedesign makes pretty pictures...not pretty buildings...big difference.

Jul 14, 04 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

Maybe he's just trying to get people to view his site...

Jul 14, 04 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
e

shameless plug indeed.

Jul 14, 04 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

Dear Architects.
It's not meant to be a "plug" for my site.

My serious and heart felt point as an Australian artist is that the sculptural form predates the "design" of Bilboa by at least four years. And that also the finalist entries for the World Trade site have striking similarities to the illustrated and sculptural forms I have design and constructed.

If you punch this form into cad, lie it on its side, multiply it you might start to see what I'm getting at (Bilboa).Just multiply it to get the WT bendy buildings.
The point being, in my opinion, that this form has been replicated.

I deeply worry that my posts seem to have upset many of the readers here. That was not my intention and If I have done so I apologise sincerely.

The form I am explaining is this one:
http://www.imagebytedesign.com/arts/graphics_art/twr_sculp.jpg

If you can make a bezier, just try it in cad, cause someone else already has.

Yours sincerely
Pierre Stokx

Jul 14, 04 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

pierre, gehry and eisenman started experimenting with 'bendy' forms in the late 80's

gehry:
disney was designed in '87.
bilbao was designed in '91

eisenman:
banyoles olympic hotel was designed in '89
columbus convention center was designed in '91

Jul 14, 04 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

"the sculptural form predates the "design" of Bilboa by at least four years"

actually, the structural form probably predates Gehry and the almighty imagebytekid by much more than that, ie, Notre Dame du Haut in Ronchamp france. done without a computer at all, by a small round-spectacled man neamed Le Corbusier. i would even argue that the sydney opera house predates gehry's sculptural forms as well. did you miss that one on your tour around your country? by a guy named Utzon. not to mention forms we may see from such artist as Umberto Boccioni, Marcel DuChamp,ie the horse, and many other examples of futurist and possibly cubist art. please forgive my tone here, but it seems to me that you are trying to take the credit for one of the most influential examples of architecture of contemporary times...and the fact of the matter is...i don't even see any buildings on your website. so whether or not you built a curvy lamp out of metal in 1991...that's a far cry from a whole museum. i wonder how many curvy lamps you could make out of a whole museum?

Jul 14, 04 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

i apologize if i come across as a smartass.

Jul 14, 04 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

as far as bendy forms go you can trace there origin in sculpture back a couple of decades to someone like eva hesse as a reaction to the rigid, minimalistic sculpture from the late sixties. architecture seems to be about 20 years behind art at times so in the 80's when this trajactery was in its tail end with built works by someone like serra architecture was just catching up with examples like above. so it ain't new.

Jul 14, 04 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

oh yeah, "On Growth and Form" D'Arcy Thompson. documented.

Jul 14, 04 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

Yes that's right said the almighty imagebytekid.
I did not invent the curve.

" i wonder how many curvy lamps you could make out of a whole museum?"

my point exactly!

In Australia everthing is upside down.

Jul 15, 04 12:03 am  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

That's ok Captain.
I can understand that when some pimply smartarse from down under claims that he's been ripped off by one of the most influential examples of architecture of contemporary times that one can expect a indignified and tomato throwing reaction.

I have acted in good faith and it's lucky I dated the drawings and built with my hands and did not develop some funky architectural gravity mesh software instead.

Thanx for the links silverlake.
I prefer Yung to Freud.

Yours Sincerely
Pierre Stokx

Jul 15, 04 12:28 am  · 
 · 
TED

oh, i get it now.

this thread is for the american bendies and this is for worldly bendies.

Jul 15, 04 1:09 am  · 
 · 
TED

wait. isnt bilbao in spain? think that discussion belongs on the worldly bendy and not on the american architecture bendy building thread if i am not mistaken.

Jul 15, 04 1:22 am  · 
 · 
dia

Dear Imagebytekid,

I've seen fully-operating passenger-carrying hovercrafts that were less self-inflated.

You've given me a good idea though. I'm going to go through the last 8 years of my work and see if, by the magic of transnational osmotic theft [TOT], Gehry nicked some of my designs - I'm sure I designed something with alot of curves in my 1st year of architecture school, and I have been to his office...

Yours sincerely,
diabase the australasian

Jul 15, 04 6:38 am  · 
 · 
aseid

okay, maybe gehry did copy your form, good point

big whoop, who cares, no one owns form and you know what?

i copied it too and some of the forms on the web page you linked to

form is boring,

any architect or artist or any other creative professional knows that form is not a means to an end and if you ever heard of or worked in an architectural office and could even begin to visualize the magnitude or the capacity it takes to conceive, detail and fabricate such a piece of built reality then you would step back and reconsider your post.

Frank Gehry may be a great architect and many not, again, not very important here, what I have begun to love about gehry is not his forms, because like i said before to me, as an architect, form is dumb

but his technique for translating his vision through the representation of "highly detailed" drawings, models, digital information throught the minds and hands of contractors/consultants and more importantly the wallets of clients into the site of choice is absolutely amazing and will be the cornerstone of a method of creating architecture that will be reverberated throughout history for years to come

I think your image is..............an image

i will not criticize it because
1. you arent asking for criticism
2. there is no criteria to evaluate it against

however i will tell you that you can rotate your image a million times until your head is so dizzy from doing so and then you can go and find a way to fabricate it, but before you do so go and find a client to pay for it, and then hire a staff to design it and then.....well.....read some books on what really goes into a building or in particular Gehry's buildings, or even the most crude piece of architecture which supports the most basic human needs and you will discover that your image is only a wrapper of a figment of what it takes to truly make a building,

i am not even going to get into what is architecture so lets not go there

Jul 15, 04 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
uneDITed

easy now...you'll get ulcers. I think I have one myself, so I can lecture you from the heights of Olympia and experience... :)

"i am not even going to get into what is architecture so lets not go there" a beautiful illustration of the opposite of the passive aggressive.

Jul 15, 04 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: