Archinect
anchor

What about Ivy League vs UCB and UVA

ninja

I have fiiiiiiiiinally received offer of admission from an Ivy school, Cornell, but now I am torn between that and former offers from UCB, UVA and UMich. I think these schools are a little too tight to choose from. I mean ivy school vs other top architecture schools? so, bagging for suggestion on the pro and cons here.

BTW, all M.Arch progams.

(As for $$, only UCB offers a $10.000, the others none:/)

Apr 10, 06 7:44 am
erngh

hey ninja,

how did u know how much UCB was offering u?
u have received their package???

Apr 10, 06 11:36 am  · 
 · 
eion

I went to UCB open house,a ndthey said that packages will not be sent before April 15. How did you get info about $$$? And from whom?

Apr 10, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
eion

Oh, and I would (and I will) choose UCB. My 2 cents.

Apr 10, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
montaigne

What impresses you about UVA in particular? I've like the location of UCB.

Apr 10, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

eion-

do you have anything to offer our thread, seeing as you were there as well?

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=36882_0_42_0_C

Apr 10, 06 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

i know someone who went to cornell, decided he didn't like it, and ended up going to umich. he loves it there. i've heard that cornell's grad program isn't as strong as its undergrad program, and having been to umich's open house and berkeley's, i would say that umich is the stronger program right now. they have a lot of young, energetic, intelligent faculty there right now who seem very interested in making a name for the program, while incorporating sensible, innovative design methods into each studio.

all of their equipment (3d printers,etc.) is completely free and the facilities are great. they also bring in very well-known faculty as visiting professors.

i would seriously consider going there, but i've been in michigan for a while, and need to get out of here.

Apr 10, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
ulysses1983ljj

I have heard too that cornell's March program is not as impressive as its BArch.

But it is an ivy, still tempting.
UVA is also a great school, rich history, beautiful campus, but maybe not so good at the location.

Apr 10, 06 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

i heard umiich is expanding 3rd floor onto the roof to make room for larger model building and a patio. ..

.. and what's this about building out into the courtyard from the 3rd floor?

Apr 11, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
db

the schools are so comparable (ranking,notoriety) you should go where the money is.

Apr 11, 06 5:55 am  · 
 · 
ninja

I have not received the packet either.Everything is through e-mail by far.

Cornell is so damn expensive. but the others are not cheap either.
the money UCB offers really is kinda a drop in the sea.( I hear it costs $40,000 for no-residents) so which one do u think is worth the loan?

Apr 11, 06 7:36 am  · 
 · 
walter_

ulysses - UVa is in an amazing location - Charlottesville is a great town/city with a really big cultural center - a lot of arts events and a lot of outdoor activities. it is voted the #1 place to live in America by some sort of magazine.

Apr 11, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
uva2006

I second [urban_bunker] not only is it a great program but charlottesville is amazing. It may not be in california, but hey atleast it is not in california. I say go for UVA and I will see you there this fall. [path B?]

Apr 12, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
ninja

Thanks guys,

It's been alot pressure to make the best decision, especially as an international student like myself. UVA is cheaper, UCB sounds more reputed, and cornell offers more money...

dilemma...

uva2006 ,

really like to c u there if UVA is where I meant to be. But still confused here.:)

BTW, is Berkeley such a bad location? I heard there is a little chaos though.

Apr 15, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 
qdpv

I personally love Berkeley. It's not too dense but things are close enough to walk/take a bus. Plus, the weather is great and it's just a BART/Bus ride away from San Francisco.

Apr 15, 06 5:03 am  · 
 · 
ninja

Location wise, I know little since I am from China.:)

Which has a more prominent M.Arch program though?
Any comments? Thank you.

Apr 15, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Hancheng

Hi ninja, congratulations,

I got Berkeley MArch, too 
but I'm still waiting for the result of $$$
(I've waited for it since Mar 12, so torture...)
are you sure UCB will offers you $10,000? per year?

I also got the cooper union with funding,
maybe it will be my final choice

Apr 15, 13 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Michigan, Virginia, Berkeley, Cornell - in that order, if it was me.  Virginia close to Michigan, but Berkeley quite a ways behind.  The location is great, but I've never been crazy about the school.  If the money makes a big difference, then pick it.  If not, then it's uncharted.  Have you visited all of them?  What do you think?

Apr 15, 13 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Clarification: "uncharted" means you draw your map. 

Apr 15, 13 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
deals on wheels

where did you decide on?

Apr 16, 13 12:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: