Archinect
anchor

bicycles

Enough with the "what car do you drive" or "what motorcycle do you ride"... roadie, fixie, mountain, bmx, whatever it may be, let talk bikes. Or just post images of bikes. Which ever you prefer.

Apr 9, 06 10:44 am
squaresquared

1998 Batavus Vice Versa folding bike, purchased in Amsterdam.

Apr 9, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Almost forgot, here's mine:

Its an old Fuji Gran Tourer fixie conversion. Riding a really relaxed gearing of 44/18, once I stop being lazy I'm going to up it to 47/16 or there abouts. Right now there is just too much spinning for what I'd prefer.

And despite all the smack I talk about riding brakeless, I'm probably going to throw on a e-brake just to play it safe.

Apr 9, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

kona humuhumunukunukuapua...it is my cruiser.

Apr 9, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

better image

Apr 9, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
trace™

but a black one

Apr 9, 06 11:30 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

trace- what bike is that?

Apr 9, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 

voodoo bokor frame, everything else custom (this one is not mine, but i do have the green michelin tires)

Apr 9, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

It's a Santa Cruz Blur

Apr 9, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

KHS Pro, steel hardtail, XT 4-pot discs, fresh new drivetrain with XT hollowtech cranks. Needs a wash. It's raining today, and I have to ride to work soon.

Apr 9, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
frisbee pirata

rocky mountain element race and a trek carbon road bike, mostly custom, mostly black

no pics since i don't have any webspace anywhere!

Apr 9, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
remonio

Litespeed Tanasi

I'd love to get a Moots Cinco or classic YBB

Apr 9, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I ride an aluminium Condor Pista. London bicycle builders Condor build bicycles for London(ers). This one is called Ma Bitch.

I have taken the lock from the back, as it ruined the ride. The frame is taped and I use a front brake. 48:16, tyres only pumped to about 80psi. Flat pedals for the weekends, spd's for the messenger circuit.

P.O.B.

Apr 9, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

For those who need bicycle pron

Apr 9, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

This is my trail bike...

That's my frame anyway - the componentry is a frankenstein of Hugi/King/and XTR widgets. 4 other bikes and about 10 wheelsets in my garage. I'm building up a Hakkalugi frame for my commuting bike.

Apr 9, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The Ibis is Snot Green.

Apr 9, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

more than familiar with FGG, our own JohnProlly recently posted his whip on there...

Apr 9, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

here's my ride...

probably late 70's/early 80's windsor.

fixed conversion...sakae bars chopped for bullhorns. suzue hubs and shimano cranks. super low gearing (42/16) 'cuz it's hilly as all heck where i live and i hate walking my bike.

needs a new headset and i think my bb is shot.

anyone with an english thread bb and/or a chris king headset they want to part with...pm me.

speaking of which...i think i'm going to go and hack away at some of these fine bay area hills in a little while...soon as i'm done procrastinating here on archinect.

Apr 9, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

a peugeot racer that will get the fixing pretty soon...as soon as the previous owner gets his ass in gear and sends it!

Psyarch...recognize the bike and most of all recognize the building! Are you loooocal?

Apr 9, 06 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
harrodna

Not exactly...mine is a prototype given to me by my uncle

Apr 9, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
joe

here's mine:
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/mar/JoeOtoole.htm#top

Apr 9, 06 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

56 cm 1970's Peugeot triathlon 501 steel frame.

running 48-18

swift sun rims
20c Vittoria Tyres
Profile Bulls
ROCKET CHAIN RING
NYC bikes cranks
Finger brake

Light as shit

Apr 9, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I'm a part time stripper aaand I do hair.

BTW, the bike's name is Corbusier.

Apr 9, 06 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Kona King Kikapu!

Apr 10, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

psyarch, johnprolly: cool bikes.
are you fixed, john?

Apr 10, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 
grid

what's the point/advantage of a fixed gear?

Apr 10, 06 2:53 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

What's the point of a fixed gear?

As Glasgow messenger Xander said: "There's only one gear, but there's ten ways to ride it."

The forced feedback feels amazing. The lock and skid gives control, particularly if you are riding a shorter gear in an urban environment. Maintenance is minimal, weight also is minimised. You can turn most ageing Reynolds frames into born again be-atches.

Bigness, quite local, Up Hornsey Road a little.

Apr 10, 06 5:43 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Thanks!

Fixed Gear Gallery

Yeah, it's Fixed. I honestly don't think i'd ever go back either. It's better for your legs to be continiously moving [circulation] and it builds your leg muscles through the use of them to regulate speed, rather than relying on braking. Plus, I like poppin that back wheel up and over in the post-skidding position. Chirp Chirp. And yes, Corb is one sexy thang. I'm in the process of removing "the blackness" from him. Getting a white Saddle, powder coated white seat post, chainring, peddles and white bar tape with orange speckles.

I'm gettin' a new bike once my income tax return comes for long weekend rides. Corb's good for bar runs and such, but I'm tired of fixing shit on him [fork, bottom bracket, ect] Estimated weight will be ±15 lbs. I'll post em when I get em.

"Chicken heads fly south to GA in tha summer, fit like 20 birds up in the hummer"

Apr 10, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

And my page on FGG

Apr 10, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Just ordered. All white with silver frame and white tyres. NO BRAKE KIIIIDS

Apr 10, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly
Apr 10, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
bigness

damn guys, from reading your posts i'm drooling to the prospect of my racer coming through...'t's gonna get fixed as soon as i get my hands on fixed hub!

(John, a quick question: did you fit the crank thru the existing BB cups?)

Apr 10, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
db

I don't have one, but I lust for a Sogreni:
http://www.sogreni.dk/Images/Classic_r5_c1.jpg

Apr 10, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Bigness, welcome to the world of Peugeot bikes.

You'll [probably] need a new bottom bracket. Peugeots have custom threading, so you'll have to find a bike shop who will re-thread your frame. Then, you can re-align your chain-ring [flip the larger one around and put a few spacers behind - this ensures the correct alignment] to get a straight drivetrain.

Your seatpost is a custom french size so DONT LOSE IT because you CANNOT find them anywhere.

I'd take your frame to a local shop and get them to throw some real track drops on that sucker. It'll cost about $75 for parts and labor, but you'll be able to throw a chain tensioner on those bitches and haul ass!

Domino [my new frame] is coming in friday! Stoked!

Apr 10, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Also, make sure there is enough room for 700c wheels - you'll want at least 25c tyres - Corb, my peugeot conversion can only fit 20c tyres because the frame is so tight. It's a pain in my ass [literally] - I'd go with a high psi tyre and at LEAST double butted spokes on your wheelset, cuz if not, you'll be dishin wheels like pancakes on sunday morning.

Apr 10, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

if you're looking for hard to come by parts definately check out Harris Cyclery. They're known for having the odd parts or knowing where to get them. Sheldon is also kinda considered a sage of sorts when it comes to fixies - not the end-all-be-all but a great resource...

John, nice on the Angus. I'm still debating on if I'm going to drop the money on a Mark V. I'd love to get the Phil Wood/Deep V combo on the wheels but thats on the higher/expensive side of thing. The IRO hubs are supposed to be pretty good and their price with the Deep V's aren't bad. The best thing about the IRO has to be the guarentee on the frame though. Can't beat a half-price replacement.

Apr 10, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

someone suggested using english cups (two non-drive side ones) locked in place with a lockring on each side (since they are a fraction of a mm smaller), they should do the trick

this conversion is going to be on a real tight budget, so to start with i'll just keep the original crank...and the original hub! space and ring-lock that mofo in place...see you splattered on the side of a bus somewhere in london soon

jokes aside, do you think it can be done? maybe it's better if i send you an email...:)

Apr 10, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

For the odd-sized bits and pieces that you will need, and expert assistance on a budget, BikeFix on Lambs Conduit Street (North off Theobalds Road) have a workshop full of pierced, tattooed, and very knowledgable mechanics with cupboards full of second-hand white-greased metalwork.

When I was converting a 1980's Condor 'cross' frame to single-speed (i.e. fixed gear but free wheel) BikeFix had all necessary spacers. I went to Condor (Grays Inn Road) though for the gusset and singulator.

Fixed is definitely better than free...

Apr 10, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS

Apr 10, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

all you need is one.

Apr 10, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

Psyarch, you're the man. thanks!

see you under waterloo bridge...

Apr 10, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Well, I prefer to have an older bike for late night bar rides, rides in the rain and another one for when I ride to work, longer rides [alleycats, ect]...

It's preference, especially when people steal shit all the time. I don't wanna lock my IRO outside for long periods of time. This IS Crooklyn.

Apr 10, 06 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

I think he was talking about number of gears, not number of bikes...

Apr 10, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

AHHHHHH SHUT UP!

Why are you always being so mean to me. I'm telling mommy.

Apr 10, 06 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

he likes to boast, let him be!

Apr 10, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
FRO
Apr 10, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

just starting to get into this whole world of bike's... anyone know a good bike shop on the westside in LA? and as for me, i'm going to stick w/ brakes and gears.

... at least until i decide to become cool.

Apr 10, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

yes, going down is all very good and well, but what good is a bike if you need a chairlift to get up even the slightest incline.

cross-country for the win.

Apr 10, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

pixelwhore...correct. i did in fact mean gears, not bikes.

hell, i'd rather have three differently geared bikes than one bike with three different gears...know what i'm sayin'? Just me though.

and ACFA, you're already cool. now lose the extra gears and go fixed. LA's the perfect place for fixed riding.

it's true what they say, once you go fixed, you won't go back. YMMV.

Apr 10, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
700c

come on, no other roadie architects?

Apr 10, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I know of plenty. But none "cool enough" to post on the Nect.

Apr 10, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: