Archinect
anchor

spelling and comprehension

stromboli

i'm looking for the actual study, possibly done at columbia, that "proves" spelling is more or less insignificant in a readers overall understanding of a piece of writing. I think there was a thread about it a while back, but I don't have any recollection of what it was called.

anybody heard of it?

Mar 31, 06 1:22 am
PerCorell

Sound like one of the useal arogant academic try to patent the art ; "if you can't write correct english how can you then paint a picture, " ,"How can anyone who spell so bad even claim to know anything" --- the useal garbage that allow any english teacher to be a great designer as he spell so perfect. ------- The academic attemt to lure the remaining real arts into being just social skills , msspelled words are and have allway's been the refreshing element that change a stiffened language ,allowing the not so "fine" artists describe their visions ; this columbian "prove" proberly line up with what you so often see in this fora ,where cirtain people forget that you don't need to even be able to write one single correct spelled english word, to be a master painter or designer.

As if a spell control prove anything --- it is seen before, in this contry the academics back in the 50' was furious about the cirtain way some designers spelled particular words "wrong". It came so far that these rigid academics , "protecting the language" ( read ,protecting their safe belly ) , lined up with ultra right wings to fight the babarians who insulted the danish language, with their attack on the danish language.
------ The crime was that they spelled the words as they was pronounced and not in some silli 18' century way of spelling. These was ome of the true modernist fighters, and also they had their firht against "english teachers" .

Mar 31, 06 6:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

it's not the spelling or mis-spelling that's off putting, it's trying to decipher arguments like the one above, that i personally struggle with.

Mar 31, 06 7:18 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Words in other words. Just words.

Mar 31, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and yuo can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wro! d as a wlohe.

---

Hi vindpust.Long time no see

Mar 31, 06 7:29 am  · 
 · 
doberman

^^^ regarding the abobe post:
sorry for leaving my five-year-old unsupervized at the computer. funny shit though...

Mar 31, 06 7:33 am  · 
 · 
doberman

*above

· 
colinrichardson

wow nevermore, you're right, that actually did work

· 
Nevermore

stromboli. I think it was done at the Cambridge University.Not sure though.

Mar 31, 06 7:34 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Im sorry ,It wasnt atcambridge university ,
a Ph.D. candidate at Nottingham University, Graham Rawlinson, did write a thesis (unpublished) in 1976 which alleged that people are able to decipher words and read fairly accurately when the middle letters of words (longer than three-letter words) are jumbled a bit.

and doberman dude..i'm NOT 5 years old.

Mar 31, 06 7:42 am  · 
 · 

Yikes, how stupid can I get?!?...
http://www.quondam.com/33/3205.htm
...there's even an error in the errata; check out page 129 line 10.

Thank God for book dedications:

4. Otto
4. my quondam friends
4. all the errors that remain herein

Mar 31, 06 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

I'm not familiar with the study, but I wonder if -- over time -- the mind gets better at it, or overall understanding is diminished? For instance, if one were to read a novel comprised of jumbled words, would one get better as the book progressed, or would the mind tire out?

This is a purely reactionary judgement on my part, but I think I'd get annoyed and give up pretty quickly (probably why I never finished Finnegan's Wake).

Incidently, I find nevermore's post easier to read because it's syntax and grammar is pretty clear -- also the words are spelled "correctly" just in the wrong order. Vindpust's post on the other hand omits words, switches tenses, and bungles possessives and contractions, and completely "misspells" words (not even all the right letters are there), and I find it more difficult to read.

Mar 31, 06 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Look at me: "... because ITS syntax and grammar ARE pretty clear"

Mar 31, 06 9:52 am  · 
 · 
jwo

NERDS!!!!!!!

Mar 31, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Hi vindpust.Long time no see"

Ofcaurse ,I just spend a few hours ,answering members in my Cyber-Boat groups and again had to xplain that ofcaurse also my old free-boatplan sites are now 3D-H fora's . Now this also put the 3D honeycomb framework in a perspective as the automatic generated building mass idea _was acturly develobet, to make an easy framework structure to build boats --- but then this guy say that a Guitar drawing I used to show the potential of 3D-H ,seem to look as a nice instrument ;; I suggest him to build this Guitar as he seem to know what a CNC Cutter is, so I couldn't spend time here ,esp when the subject is the least of my abilities Words.
Discussions about words just alway's was silli from my point of view, esp as words can't do a cheap safe house, in a new technology.
Only experience can, ----- Then on the other hand, why shuld Cyber-Boat an old boatbuilding group with 2000 members be the right fora ,well atleast it is not the lazy ones that joined it.

Mar 31, 06 11:15 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cyber-Boat/

This is the Cyber-Boat site I refere, This is how 3D-H was develobed for a number of nice designs ,Digital boats drawings not 100 year old paper drawings ; with the nice side effects this bring.

CNC routers can cut other things than words and while they seem so ugly, why not get rid of it, artists are those dead guy's who's art hang on the walls of the museums,

Mar 31, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
southpole

nevermore,
that was totally cool, I understood every word in that paragraph, it amazing to me how the mind work, I participated in a similar study in grad school, several left-handed individual were given a series of shorts stories and we were suppose to circle all the miss spelled words, the same people were given painting and we were to find the visual errors, needles to say all the participants did much better with the pictures- similar result were found with right handed individuals but the ratios were more equally distributed.

Mar 31, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

nevermore,
that was totally cool, I understood every word in that paragraph, it's amazing to me how the mind works, I participated in a similar study in grad school, several left-handed individuals were given a series of shorts stories and we were suppose to circle all the missed spelled words, the same people were shown paintings and we had to find the visual errors, needles to say all the participants did much better with the pictures than the written words- similar result were found with right handed individuals but the ratio were more equally distributed between reading and looking at the paitings

Mar 31, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

hey dont invite per again to archinect

Mar 31, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

relax nevermore, i was just kidding, your post was great.

Mar 31, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: