Archinect
anchor

Am I screwed?

swamprat

I have recently discovered that one of my grades this semester will probably be D+ maybe C- if I can remember to go to class. It is a core class so Im not to worried about it, but I am looking to applying to Columbia and Princeton next year among other schools. Should i even apply now? I have a 3.3 GPA.

Mar 21, 06 12:10 pm
adso

You'll be lucky to get into ITT Tech now.

Mar 21, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

D stands for "Death" or "Done" for grad school (you're talking about grad schools, right?). I'm kidding... How would your D or C would affect your final GPA? I'm pretty sure you can go to some OK schools, but my guess is that you'll have tough time to get into Ivy schools with D.

Mar 21, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
surface

"if you can remember to go to class?"

Why are you bothering to apply to Columbia and Princeton if that sums up your level of enthusiasm about school?

Mar 21, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
PROPHET OF DOOM
Mar 21, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

I'm completely with Susan on this one. WTF? Really, if you're not in gear for undergrad, why do you even want to go to such a demanding grad school?

But if this is a fluke, it will show on your transcripts and they'll hopefully be understanding. But if "if I can remember to go to class" is your general attitude, no, you probaby shouldn't bother.

Mar 21, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

where did he go? i want to be convinced that the "if i can remember..." comment was facetiousness. come on, swamprat. make it right.

Mar 22, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 
rsteath

Did you "grow" into a 3.3 or did you fall-off at the end of your years, because that kind of thing can say a lot.

Apr 6, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
rsteath

Did you "grow" into a 3.3 or did you fall-off at the end of your years, because that kind of thing can say a lot.

Apr 6, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

where I went to undergrad, my final semester grades did not get sent nor asked for from the graduate school I went to. I got a C in Calculus (which I suck at) but that grade never got seen from my grad school...I always thought your fall senior GPA was final

Apr 7, 06 2:45 am  · 
 · 
ac.kee

mjh00c-what grad school did you go to?

Apr 7, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
trace™

my final semester grades didn't get sent either. Man, I had a battle with my design professor! It was split 50/50, one prof for half, one for the other. Got an 'A' for the first and ended the class with a C-. I fought that hard (and lost), challenged the grade, etc.

Point being, it never mattered.

Apr 7, 06 9:13 am  · 
 · 
standardsofa

i'm in the process of improving a D that i received three years ago. If you haven't tried it, go to the instructor and tell them your situation and that you care about the class. maybe they can help.

Apr 7, 06 10:09 am  · 
 · 
velo

It'll be hard for an ivy league school to swallow accepting a student who got a D. Your transcript should show the average class grade as well, if the average was a reasonable grade, then I"m sorry to say, you're screwed. At my grad school if you got even one D, you were put on probation. Same thing for over 3 Cs in the term. I hope you have a killer portfolio. If there are slim pickings that year and your portfolio is leaps and bounds above the rest, I can imagine good but not ivy leagues may let you in under restricted conditions.

Apr 7, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: