Archinect
anchor

what do think?

hibz

so here's something i've been pondering a lot about lately. what's more important, getting an A on my grad. project, basically by letting my idiot of a professor have it his way, or having a project i can be proud to put in my portfolio? the idiot happens to be head of the department this year and, being also my project supervisor, controls 60% of the final project grade., he told me to basically change everything i've worked on, that is because he can't process anything through his thick head. he wants an over simplified project so that it wont offend him. i've shown my work to a couple of other super brainy professors i admire and they told me to continue with it and keep everything as is, even if that involves getting into a fist fight with him. i never had this problem before since non of my other professors are that stupid, and he is, incredibly depressingly stupid!! i'm usually an A student and i already got a lousy D for the first part, lowest grade in class. don't want to compromise my work for a lousy A either, but don't know how far this prof. will go to avoid getting humiliated in crits. i've been advised by many to compromise and just get done with it already, and after that while holding my degree in one hand i'll be able to flick him the finger with the other haha. right, so should i handle this professionally or just be a spoiled brat about it - not take his bullshit? i know this sounds trivial (yeah and a bit cheesy!) but i'd definitely appreciate any suggestions/opinions.

Mar 20, 06 3:56 am
Ms Beary

Can you change professors?

Mar 20, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
hibz

i've talked with other professors but they advised me not to. apparently he'd be gravely offended if i did! so, lucky for me, i'm stuck with him for 3 more months!

Mar 20, 06 9:54 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

hibz, it looks like this project you are talking about is a grad project, and you will be looking for a job after this. In that case, what matters is your portfolio-no one gives a shit about the grades you might have obtained (and honestly, if an office does, then its not the place for you).

That said, if you are planning to study more after this, then the grades might be important, but for most grad programs, the portfolio outweighs the grades.

Mar 20, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

as long as you pass, placate your portfolio, not your professor

Mar 20, 06 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i am in a similar situation. only this prof. is like 30 and has no firm experience with a gut and no hotness eye wear or turtleneck action. i have gotten about 4 hours of sleep in three days doing models that he scribbled on today with red ink and went around the room telling everyone to redo the assignment and handed out d's to everyone saying maybe you should all consider that you as architects do not think properly... i feel like he said tie the fields down with slot conditions over thirty seven times... he showed examples of simple boxes that looked like a third grader colored them... no one in the class in passing. i think he's pissed about having a horrible life. the only thing to do is use my mad fury to burn a hole in his head with pencils. i think i have become addicted to the weird feeling you get from not sleeping.

don't take shit from anyone

Sep 11, 08 3:47 am  · 
 · 

you guys treat these instructors like monarchs or tyrants. talk to them. they're not likely picking on you for fun but because they're trying to get at something. figure out what it is.

hibz, i can't believe your instructor just said 'i hate that, do this' but probably gave reasons. did you HEAR the reasons or did you just HEAR it as a teardown?

when i'm hiring, what i look for in a portfolio is evidence of an exploratory mind, someone willing to learn, and an attention to quality and detail. i don't care if a project is super-complex or extraordinarily-simple as long as there is follow-through.

so learn what you can from this head-of-department. this project is not the be-all-end-all of your career, but you owe it to yourself to be able to learn from those put there to teach you. and don't ever underestimate the importance of hearing and learning from those with whom you disagree. it won't be the last time.

Sep 11, 08 6:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

give it some fypon and some eifs and call it a day. i mean if he ain't gonna pass you you should have some fun with it...

Sep 11, 08 7:49 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

millwork is for the birds, but you're right; i should think of it as entertainment.

Sep 11, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

i think you should go to a toga party and smoke a joint

Sep 11, 08 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i wore that mask already, Emilio.

just spent all day and night redoing these projects i spoke of and it's wrong again, i'm sure. haven't turned it in, but it's wrong to whoever wants it to be wrong. it really confirms my suspicions about numbers and reality, regarding the relationship between infinity and nihilism. there really is no real solution to these problems, but we think we have solutions. there is no perfect way to do these things we think fit into various fields and organizations within given intervals. there is no real answer to anything; it is all make believe. numbers are made up, too. god never gave us a magical unit. you tell me santa claus is real until i realize i drew the easter bunny and he grew into real proportion. this is great to know in architecture, because you are able to make whatever the f*** you want. i apologize if this does not seem logical, but i am running on 6 hrs. sleep now after 4th day. love it

Sep 12, 08 2:55 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

s. ward: you are correct, sir. only, at times you need anger.

Sep 12, 08 2:57 am  · 
 · 
Nathan.lao

能不能显示中文?

Sep 12, 08 2:57 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

不真正地

Sep 12, 08 3:02 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i think the concern might not be about you taking an A (which is never guaranteed even if you go about it his way) but rather about you failing. he's in a position of 60% power and can't be vetoed out.
so a better question would be: do you think it would be worth failing for a project worthy of your pride (perhaps you're very clever, subversive and misunderstood...and you don't feel the pass is worth it..that could be possbile; only you would know)? mind you, factor in the possibility that by the end of it, you might end up being as proud, or more, of the project if you go about it your tutor's way. sometimes you gain a different set of skills and insights when you try an experienced someone else's way...sometimes, not always.

and perhaps its not about failure, but about a so-so mark. suss it out intelligently.

Sep 12, 08 7:41 am  · 
 · 
trace™

All about working it. I can recall my last class of undergrad where the prof wanted me to do things and I held firm to what I wanted. Many years later, I think I would have made it accommodate her ideas and mine, probably making a deeper project.

Also, don't be 100% sure he's telling you to do things. I know I followed profs "suggestions" to later realize that they were just trying to challenge me. Had I just looked at it as a provocative idea, not an end all, I could have done something with it.

Sep 12, 08 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: