Archinect
anchor

Landscape Architect in New York

athenaeum

Any landscape architects lurking out there?

Do you know of any small, studio-based, boutique-y landscape architect offices in N.Y.C. that have reputation of a good work environment?

Feb 28, 06 9:04 pm
scorr88

aside from "boutique-y," i think i know what you're looking for...and no, not exactly....if you're talking about that really studio-y swapping of ideas and excitement...on a small intimate scale...none that i know of...there are give and takes in all of them

Feb 28, 06 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

why is it so hard to make enough cash to get by and swap ideas at the same time?

why? why? why?

Feb 28, 06 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

Not quite sure about their boutique-yness, boutique-factor, whatever, but I hear great things about Balmori Associates. And I like their work ...

Feb 28, 06 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
freebornman

check out coen+partners. they are in the process of starting a small studio in the west village. the contact guy is bryan kramer. from what i've heard, they intend to keep the studio around 5-8. the main office is in minn-st paul. they did the mayo woodlands and the type+variant house w/vincent james.

Feb 28, 06 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
scorr88

ehh balmori...(i'm groaning in the 'work environment' category )
check out EKLA as a twist away from the regulars.
http://www.eklastudio.com/html/home/index.php
(she's in the navy yard in BK)
i have yet to meet someone who works there, but spoken to a few who interviewed...i've been curious...itheir website is not gnna blow you away but t's worth checking out . so is balmori for that matter as they earn themselves some good projects. and on first glance, coen+p look int.

Feb 28, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
mm

field operations might be what you are looking for. They are working on two high-profile projects in nyc right now, High Line and Fresh Kills. Their website is www.fieldoperations.net

Also, Ken Smith's office is pretty small but they work on exciting projects.

Mar 1, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wednesday

There aren't that many, though. A few smaller ones are emerging ... SCAPE is Kate Orff's studio -- she teaches at columbia.

And terrain-nyc is Steven Tupu's -- he's been a critic at penn.

Mar 1, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

great suggestions. a few i'm familiar with, some i'm not.

any inside information about office vibe on especially field operations, ken smith, and scape?

Mar 1, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
freebornman

probably know already, but ken just landed the orange county great park in so cal. from friends that have worked in his office, the work is awesome, but he pays poorly and not always on time, just FYI.

Mar 1, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
scorr88

office vibe at field ops- i've heard it's a bit of people jockying for positions internally, etc, which of course gets in the way of actually doing work. i know one guy who left after a month-not getting along w corner and overall didn't find the environment suitable, and another person who's been there a year and enjoying the work. obviously, you've got top projects - highline, fresh kills...
from people i know who worked w tupu, i've heard really great things. i contacted him last year and at that time he didn't have enough work to hire.

Mar 3, 06 12:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: