Archinect
anchor

Rem Koolhaas to design Milstein Hall-Cornell University

swisscardlite
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Jan06/Arch.Koolhaas.lm.html

ok so originally it was steven holl. then they asked barkow leibinger to design the studio. and then now they are asking Rem Koolhaas to design the new studio. It's exciting but when are they ever going to break ground?

and does anyone know when approximately will this studio be completed?

Jan 21, 06 2:24 pm
g-love

yeah, that seems weird that they've gone through two architects - anyone know what happened with barkow? did it just never quite happen or was there something more?

Jan 21, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
timpdx

They were making the initial plans to replace Rand back when I was in the BArch program in 1986! Gawd knows when and if the thing will ever get built.

Jan 21, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
kablakistan

I am glad they didn't build the Holl design, although I liked the Barkow Leibinger one. It seems to me more important that they get the right architect and design than that they rush into something awful, trendy and quickly out of date which they are then stuck with for a very long time.

But then, I was always in favor of just adding exterior HVAC systems, elevator and some additional sq ft on to the existing factory building Rand Hall in a prosthetic style project.

-Joy Knoblauch

Jan 22, 06 9:49 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

Word...kablakistan..I would have been happy if they just put up some screen to keep out the insects and wildlife.

Jan 22, 06 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

professor vincent mulcahy said last summer that they are upgrading rand hall..adding elevators and renovating a lot of the interior..

joy...were you the TA at summer program?

Jan 22, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

Yeah, OMA is overhauling Rand and Sibley as well as building a completely new structure. Supposedly they'll all be connected. Last ting I heard was that it's supposed to be done in 2008. But, of course, this is Cornell, so who knows.

-andrew

Jan 22, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
kablakistan

Window screens.
Yes, that is a must. Some cool contraption to make that work with the pivoting factory windows would be great.

Yep, I was a TA this summer, were you in Sandy's section?

-Joy Knoblauch

Jan 23, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i agree joy. too many windows have broken...it's really hard to close them too

yeah i was at sandy's section. i was that short asian kid. i think i talked to you once about different schools of architecture...like yale or cornell or harvard..nice to meet you again!

Jan 23, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

actually more than two architects have been involved before Rem -- Schwartz Silver of Beantown were hired in the mid 90s to add on to Sibley...curious to see the OMA scheme, hopefully the best...

Jan 24, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Wait till they get the bill.

Jan 24, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
scy2

justin...i guess it'll be a good time for you to check out the happenings of the building while you're there...
-your t.a.

Jan 24, 06 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbolical paraboloid

isn't mohsen mostafahvi (formerly of aa in london) now at cornell? might this have anything to do with it (OMA)?

Jan 24, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

he is and it does....

Jan 24, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

it can't be better said...

yo sand when are you coming back to the city?!

Jan 24, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: