Archinect
anchor

Grad-App Portfolio Post of '06

meta

+q- you are early. it is`nt feb yet. but lemme check your stuff.

Jan 16, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

meta-
I figure we can post them slowly instead of all ay once so that way we can discuss the portfolios a little, let all archinecters crit, etc....

If we post 20 portfolios in one day we will overwhelm the archinect system. As peple feel confident (i.e. their deadlines pass) I am sure they will post...

Jan 16, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

no comments :(

Cammon 115 of ya'll have looked at it, what do you think?

Jan 16, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
frisbee pirata

These are really good projects, where did you study undergrad?

Jan 16, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

U to the F

Jan 16, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

No comments from me. Everything looks great! Where are you sending these?

Jan 16, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

Great stuff, man. It looks really good
Where are you applying?

Jan 16, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks,

I'm applying to:
GSD
Yale
Princeton
MIT
GSAPP

I know that it sounds like Ivy for the sake of being Ivy, but it isnt. I have looked into all these schools and find that I like something from each school. I actually could have made a larger list of places I like, but these were the 5 finalists.

Jan 16, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Damn kid. After seeing that, do not expect to see my work anywhere on my blog. Just more pics of Carrot Top.

Jan 16, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
vigggo

whew, that thing is nice. youve got a lot of good work.

I like how you have included so much process. And the process is deceiving. As thumbnails, the sketches look 3d/photoshop and then i noticed they were pen and marker. very nice.

Jan 16, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

doh. i think I'll crawl into a hole now. Nice work +q. looks like you'll have options in April. Are those spreads bound in the middle or do you have fold outs? I have pages that fold out and am scared that noone will open them. woops.

Jan 16, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

t-h b, they are bound in the middle. Don't worry. people will probably fold your pages out though. Do you have a Princeton catalogue? I have one from 2 years ago, and their pages unfold to show you some thesis projects. Really nice, I think it makes you curious.

Jan 16, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
vigggo

yeah, this years Princeton catalogue also had folded out pages, but you had to tear a perforated edge first. With some tearing and cursing, I did all of them, but it was a pain in the ass. Really slick little book, but it required careful handling. Thats apparently what they dont want from their applicants.

Jan 16, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
e4nim

did you graduated from University of Florida? If my memory serves me right, I saw your NY2 at the work book of UFL. Anyway, good job and hope you have good luck..!

Jan 16, 06 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

q good job, the ivies will like it, columbia especially, and perhaps princeton.

Jan 16, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
meta

i`ve got no comments either...

its simple and all projects have been displayed well.

Jan 17, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
meta

and very nice work!

Jan 17, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
geland

+q,

Beautiful work. I very much enjoyed the NY1 project. You seem to have a very strong mix of photographs of models (most eye catching, in my opinion), diagrams, sketches, perspectives, etc... many strong representational techniques and many strong designs.
Not such a big fan of some of the color strips at the bottom of the pages, but it doesn't bother me too much. Also, I'm not such a huge fan of having a light image do a full bleed beneath representational drawings(p15 looks a bit confusing to me). Although, I think that it works out on page 5 as a full opacity image of the skyline behind the model. This was actually my favorite page. Very nice model.
All in all, I think it is in beyond excellent shape and that your portfolio has many strengths that I wish mine had. I think that I shall join you in the post, so here is mine:

http://www.geland.smugmug.com/gallery/904154

I have posted it before and many have probably seen it. I have changed it a bit, so there it is. That is what I sent out. I ended up applying to: GSAPP, GSD, Yale, UCLA, and SciArc. Best of luck in the app's to all.

Jan 17, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Geland I specially like your new page 2, I think you added the plans. I like the almost parasitic way that the pods spread all over the site.
And in general I think you did a better job of explaining your projects and the logics that are running through them.

I think is a much better portfolio from the one you showed a couple of months ago.

good luck

Jan 17, 06 10:11 am  · 
 · 
marketfair

my honest opinion:

the work looks really good & your graphic are clean. overall, your portfolio is too long and/or has too much in it - what results is an overall flattening of your obvious talent. Luckily, the best pages are those toward the end (26,27,29) where we dont have to look at thousands of little diagrams, unprecise axonometrics of 3D models, multiple interior renderts that dont seemed to be keyed, etc. Not that diagrams dont have their place - they do - but I kind of feel your pages are shrunken down presentation boards....which isn't necessarialy the best approach.

i am sure you will get into at least a few of the schools on your list...if you are still applying, you should try to eliminate a few of the projects that aren't your best.

Jan 17, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 
marketfair

sorry, that post was for q.

geland, yours seems more edited and looks waaay better than the one you posted a few months ago. honestly, i hate the pod project....but that is probably just me.

Jan 17, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

Both look damn good to me. I will be interested to see if any non-arch majors post their portfolios. I will tell you, quite honestly, that if I do post my portfolio...and I probably will end up doing it at some point...I don't want any criticism. I am a huge fan of criticism, but at this point my anxiety levels are rather low as I wait for the results...and i'd like to keep them that way. It's not like I can change anything now, and by the time April rolls around I'll either be on my way to filling my portfolio with completely different stuff, or crying and starting whole new threads about how I can change my portfolio so that I cry less at night.

Jan 17, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
sinister_cubism

to avoid bringing the server that hosts my portfolio down, if you're interested in seeing what a portfolio from someone with a non-arch degree looks like- hit me with an email.

i'm also being bashful.

Jan 17, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Thanks marketfair,
That is something i wrestled with, how much to include or not include. I actually edited 6 pages, and one entire project out.

I got many opinions about it and decided to leave it in its current form. I am aware that it is probably longer than most people's, and Im not sure if I am over doing it.
Im glad you like those last few pages, they are my favorite too.

I will keep your comments in mind for the next round...

Jan 17, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
skeerd

here goes nothing...

link

+q, your stuff looks amazing, it is long but very fluid. i hope you get into all of your schools.

Jan 17, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 

mlertpac - i emailed you to see yours, fyi.

Jan 17, 06 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Skeerd-
I like the amount of space in your portoflio. It is a good mix of very tight pages, with open free ones, if that makes any sense. Particularly I like page 12, that is an amazing sketch.

One thing I think it could have done better is tell you when you have reached a new project, although it is not much of a problem most of the time, when I got to the first bus stop page I was wondering what I was lookingat.

so 8888-where is yours?

Jan 17, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 
here

but please no harsh criticism. i'm proud of it but its quite different from the first three. and i guess i don't mind posting b/c i'd had it up a while ago, so if anyone wanted i guess they could search the links.

its non digital. and quite short in comparison to the others.

Jan 17, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 

I like your models
and your printmaking is great.

Jan 17, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

+q thanks. i tried to highlight the models. and i think printmaking in general is great!
if you're curious i've got more prints on my smugmug site. if you poke around its under "artworks" i think....

Jan 17, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

thanks j. i know that each of the individual architectural projects do lack development, but i wanted to give true representation of what my projects were when i completed them.

Jan 17, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

+q here are more of my prints

and i lied. give my portfolio criticism. i know i'm not about to make changes, but its just not satisfying without hearing it. ready....go!

Jan 17, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

i like skeerd's the best so far.

i will try to post mine if i can upload it to flckr or something. my portfolio might be helpful for someone who doesn't come from an architecture or design-related background.

Jan 17, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

nice stuff 8888
you might be interested in my wife's website, She is a professional printmaker, she teaches at a local college too.

www.r-x2.com

Jan 17, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

+q she's got some beautiful work! i love printmaking. and i definitely appreciate it more and differently after taking a workshop last spring.

Jan 17, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

what exactly is print making?

Jan 17, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Printmaking is a process for producing multiple original pieces of artwork; painting, on the other hand, is a process for producing a single original piece of artwork. Prints are created from a single original surface, most commonly linoleum, metal or wood. Each print is considered an original work of art, not a copy. Works printed from a single plate create an edition, usually each signed and numbered. A single print could be the product of one or multiple presses. Printmakers work in a variety of mediums, including water based ink, water color paint, oil based ink, oil pastels, and any water soluble solid pigment such as Caron Dache crayons. The work is created on a flat surface called a plate. Depending on the process used to lift the print, artists either carve or draw into their surfaces. Printmaking techniques that utilize digital methods are becoming increaingly popular and in many markets are the chosen method. Surfaces used in printmaking include planks of wood, metal plates, a pane of plexiglass, shellacked book board, or lithographic stones. A separate technique called screenprinting makes use of a porous fabric mesh stretched in a frame, called a screen. Small prints can even be made using the surface of a potato.

Contents [hide]
1 Techniques
1.1 Woodcut
1.2 Etching
1.3 Lithography
1.4 Screen-printing

Techniques

The four most popular printmaking techniques are woodcut, etching, lithography, and screen-printing. Other printmaking techniques include chine-collé, collography, monotyping, engraving, drypoint, mezzotint, linocut, aquatint and batik. These techniques can also be combined.

Digital processes include giclée, photographic mediums and combination of both digital process and conventional

Woodcut
Woodcut, a type of relief print, is thought to be the earliest printmaking technique, dating back to 9th century China. The artist draws a sketch on a plank of wood and then uses sharp tools to carve away the parts of the block that he/she does not want to receive the ink. The raised parts of the block are inked with a brayer, then a sheet of paper, perhaps slightly damp, is placed over the block. The block is then rubbed with a baren or spoon, or is run through the press. Separate blocks are used for each color.
Artists using this technique include
Georg Baselitz, Willie Cole Helen Frakenthaler, Paul Gauguin, Erich Heckel, Horst Janssen, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Frans Masereel, Edvard Munch, Emil Nolde, A.R. Penck, Margaret Preston Olga Rozanova, and Joel Shapiro.

Etching
Etching is part of the intaglio family (along with engraving, drypoint, mezzotint, and aquatint.) Etching prints are generally linear and often contain fine detail and contours. Lines can vary from smooth to sketchy. A waxy acid-resist, known as a ground, is applied to a metal plate, most often copper. After the ground has dried the artist uses a sharp tool to scratch into the ground, exposing the metal. The plate is then completely submerged in an acid that eats away at the exposed metal. This process is known as biting. The waxy resist protects the acid from biting the parts of the plate that have not been scratched into. The longer the plate remains in the acid the deeper the incisions become. The plate is removed from the acid and the ground is removed with a solvent such as turpentine. The entire plate is inked. A wad of cloth is often used to push the ink into the incised lines. An etching is opposite of a woodcut in that the raised portions of an etching remain blank while the crevices hold ink. The surface is wiped clean with a piece of stiff fabric known as tarlatan and then wiped with newsprint paper. The wiping leaves ink only in the incisions. You may also use a folded piece of organza silk to do the final wipe. This leaves the plate surface very clean and therfore white in the print. A damp piece of paper is placed over the plate and it is run through the press.
Jim Dine, Otto Dix, James Ensor, Lucian Freud, Paul Klee, Edward Hopper, Horst Janssen, Käthe Kollwitz, Mauricio Lasansky, Brice Marden, Henri Matisse, Giorgio Morandi, Pablo Picasso, and Cy Twombly.

[edit]
Lithography
Lithography is a technique invented in 1798 by Alois Senefelder and based on the chemical repulsion of oil and water. A porous surface, normally limestone, is used; the image is drawn on the limestone with an oily medium. Acid is applied, transferring the oil to the limestone, leaving the image 'burned' into the surface. Gum arabic, a water soluble substance, is then applied, sealing the surface of the stone not covered with the drawing medium. The stone is wetted, with water staying only on the surface not covered in oil-based residue of the drawing; the stone is then 'rolled up', meaning greasy ink is applied with a roller covering the entire surface; since water repels the grease in the ink, the ink adheres only to the oily parts, perfectly inking the image. A sheet of wet paper is placed on the surface, and the image is transferred to the paper by the pressure of the printing press. Lithography is known for its ability to capture fine gradations in shading and very small detail.

A variant is photo-lithography, in which the image is captured by photographic processes on metal plates; printing is carried out in the same way.
George Bellows, Pierre Bonnard, Vija Clemins, Stuart Davis, Ellsworth Kelly, Willem de Kooning, Joan Miró, Edvard Munch, Emil Nolde, Elizabeth Peyton, Pablo Picasso, Odilon Redon, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, and Terry Winters,

[edit]
Screen-printing
Screen-printing (also known as "silk-screening" or "serigraphy") creates bold color using a stencil technique. The artist draws an image on a piece of paper or plastic film can also be used.) The image is cut out creating a stencil. (Keep in mind the pieces that are cut away are the areas that will be colored.) A screen is made of a piece of fabric (originally silk) stretched over a wood frame. The stencil is affixed to the screen. The screen is then placed on top of a piece of dry paper or fabric. Ink is then placed across the top length of the screen. A squeegee (rubber blade) is used to spread the ink across the screen, over the stencil, and onto the paper/fabric. The screen is lifted once the image has been transferred onto the paper/fabric. Each color requires a separate stencil. The screen can be re-used after cleaning.

Jan 17, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

My wife makes one-o'-a-kind prints though.

And I have to admit Im pretty ignorant about printmaking although I have promised her to start learning.

Jan 17, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
salparadi

here's another.

non-arch background, quite different than others.

portfolio

Jan 17, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

nice work salparadi,
I like your pieces, where are you applying.

Jan 17, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
salparadi

cincy, ucla, texas, berk, mich, harv, mit

Jan 17, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hey j, remember that grad applicant who put that he liked to keep in shape in his essay?

Jan 17, 06 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

hey question for all of you who do have architecture backgrounds who've just posted: do you have b.arch (5year) professional degrees or bs or ba (4 year) non-professional degrees?

Jan 17, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

4 yr non-prof

Jan 17, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

hmm. that doesn't make me feel any better.

Jan 17, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
vman

Anybody know how or where to post my portfolio in pdf format? I created my portfolio in Illustrator and can't seem to convert one of the PDF pages to a JPG.

Jan 17, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

i think you guys all you guys that posted their work have great work.. Seem to be applying to the same schools i did and got accepted to.. And i dont think my portfolio was nearly as pretty as some of yours.
I would be interested in hearing what you guys want out of grad school.. whether its on this post or through email. I thought i was ivy bound as well.. Even got accepted to them with scholarships. (i'm not trying to brag) but i ended up going to as school that was better suited to my interests. And so far I am positive i have made the right choice. We are learning and discussing amazing stuff and making even more amazing connections and already job offers. So if you guys are still looking i would say look at Stevens Institute of Technology. I have a school blog (which i havent updated in a while and the school website is still being worked on. http://www.stevens.edu/engineering/product-architecture/

I would be glad to answer any questions if necessary. I may even bug you through your personal emails. HAHA

Jan 17, 06 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

ok.. my grammar does not reflect the quality of the program

Jan 17, 06 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
vigggo

Funny you should mention grammar monkeyboy. I just checked out the site and found this under the news:

"Pleae baer with us as we update our website."

I hope their grammar doesn't reflect the quality of the program. :D

Jan 17, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

i actually asked them (the college web peeps) to change that right before the holidays.. i was the one wokring on the website but i cant make the changes once it is up.. i can only provide new html files.. but thanks for pointing i out.. Maybe that will get their ass in gear.

Jan 17, 06 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: