Archinect
anchor

Archinect Design Competition

evilplatypus

What would the intrest level be in an Archinect sponsered design competition? Maybe the Archinect powers that be have a design topic in mind? Jury/Judgement by invitation? An internet community based design competition - a first perhaps?

Throwing it out there, discuss.

Dec 9, 05 9:44 am

They've done that before back in v1.0, for a communications booth - its been awhile since I've looked at it so the details are really fuzzy.

Dec 9, 05 9:48 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

wow - v1? when was that? I dont think I ever heard about Archinect until 2003.

Anyone remaining from that gilded age?

Dec 9, 05 9:50 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

evilplatypus is back yaaaaaaaaaay!!! You must have gotten that whole password thing worked out - a holiday miracle for evilp!

Oh, and in my ongoing attempts not to be such a thread highjacker, here's an on-topic comment: I sketched up an idea for the communications booth, but it never went any further than that. It's so hard to find time to do competitions. But they are great portfolio material and good experience for young interns - and it's nice for the archinect community to have common ideas to discuss beyond our favorite movies and holiday party experiences.

Dec 9, 05 9:52 am  · 
 · 

me!
I was Jedi413 back then though - but that was back when there wasn't logging to post comments and things could get amazingly crazy.
They had a nice variety of splash screens for awhile... although the rest of the layout I can't remember. v2.0 has been around for a bit now I guess.

Dec 9, 05 9:52 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

yeah the first competition was a pretty big deal. It had prizes, judges, and real firms entered, (if I remember correctly kd lab won)...

I did a sketch too, liberty bell, I think I started doing a computer model, but just never got around to finishing anything...

wow - v1? when was that? I dont think I ever heard about Archinect until 2003.

pimpin architecture since '96,

Dec 9, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

err, '97. sorry.

Dec 9, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
AP
Dec 9, 05 10:22 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

how it used to look...

Dec 9, 05 10:34 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

oops, it was burnlab that won. (see the link for info on their entry) my apologies to burnlab. I knew it some kind of lab...

Dec 9, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

To get back on topic here, whats the interest level in a comp? Maybe a "Make it Happen " competition or something? Any ideas?

Dec 9, 05 10:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
Dec 9, 05 10:47 am  · 
 · 
momentum

i'd do a comp for archinect any day..... it would just need some adequate time between announcement and completition date. the booth competition turned out some nice results.

Dec 9, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 

I had forgotten how nice burnlab's drawings were.

Dec 9, 05 11:11 am  · 
 · 

Count ME IN!!!

I say we design a Perrorist Training Camp

Dec 9, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 

I would so do a competition for archinect.

Dec 9, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

How about a competition for a Bridge House? The Chicago Ave. Bridge (Chicago River) needs a new one, they've had a temporary shed serving as one there for 5 years, on the West end of the Bridge

Dec 9, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

verson 1.0. heh heh heh.

Dec 9, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Sadly the thing I remember about old Archinect was the constant flame wars due to the fact no one had to log in. Pure anonymity at its worst.

I think I was garpike77...

Dec 9, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Who sponsered the original comp? What was the instigation for having it? Any of you old timers remember?

Dec 9, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Who sponsered the original comp? What was the instigation for having it? Any of you old timers remember?

Dec 9, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

I'm in! Bridge house sounds like a fun idea, but anything really... I'm one of those young interns who need portfolio fodder.

Dec 9, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i remember the old archinect. i was "your name"...well, not all of them, but many of them

and wasn't the whole hi fancy graphis lovers t-shirt thing a competition? too bad that fell flat...and probably a bad omen for the liklihood of our success with a more elaborate design competition.

Dec 9, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how about we just get makeovers

Dec 9, 05 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

this is all I could find about the old sponsors and prizes... (There's no way, I could have remembered all this.)

prizes:
Vitra Tom Vac chairs, PrayStation CD-Roms, Form Zero Bookstore gift
certificates, subscriptions to Metropolis Magazine, respect!... et ectera!

jury:
Mat Hunter, Maria Claudia Montesinos, Michael Speaks, Susan Szenasy, and Pontus Wahlgren...

sponsors:
Vitra., AWC, Metropolis Magazine, Form Zero, Bombay Saphire..

the info might have differed slightly, but I think this is mostly correct. I remember the chairs were one of the prizes. As you can probably tell this competition was quite a bit more involved than the t-shirt contest and the improptu christmas greeting contest. (I'm not complaining, I like the shorter, smaller scope things, because I'm more likely to finish something.)

I think part of the reason the "hey all you fancy graphics" contest went away was because the judges/staff of archinect were underimpressed with the entries (just my speculation) and katrina hit right after the voting ended, so people were focused on other things (again, just my speculation).

obviously, they never printed anything...

Dec 9, 05 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

from the communication booth competition:

description:
How are forms of communication changing? How can architecture accommodate this evolution in communication? Is the telephone booth obsolete? These are just a few of the questions you may ask yourself when designing a "communication booth", the topic of ARCHINECT's first design competition.

The project description is intentionally brief and open to interpretation
as we hope that the submissions will try to define the "communication
booth" as well as design it. We strongly encourage participation by all
interested designers, not just architects. We would love to see submissions representing all types of media... digital/physical models, graphics, movies, interactive pieces, etc.

Dec 9, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

sorry to keep posting... one of the nice things about that competition, as described in the brief, was that it was intentionally vague so that a variety of submissions came out of it. The winner was essentially a confessional, which takes the idea of communication booth in an interesting and unexpected (?) direction.

I like the bridge house idea, but it leaves less room for interpretation (esp. if it has a specific site, size, etc.) It might be nice to mix it up though.

Dec 9, 05 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Used to be "butterballs" on v1.0.

But some people did not like that name and I did not want to try to convince them of it's comic value. . .so with the change, tyvek was born.

Dec 9, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 

i was 'Steven Ward', then. those were the days.

the thing i remember most was those kickass front pages. i think archinect stored 'em on the gallery here when this version came up. they were featured for a little while.

Dec 10, 05 9:01 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I remember the name butterballs. I do find it comical.

I don't think I ever posted on v.1 - too intimidated by "your name".

Dec 10, 05 9:05 am  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, I was still 'trace' back in the day. I guess the login did solve many of the problems. Still wish I could edit posts, though.

Dec 10, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 
French

I think I was already French, but it's so long ago... Anyway, let's do this competition thing!

Dec 10, 05 10:14 am  · 
 · 
G-bot

I miss the flash intros. :(

Dec 11, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

We've been talking about doing another competition for a quite a while... I'm not promising anything but the chances are good that we'll have one in '06.. In regards to the old cover pages, they're all archived in the features section.

Dec 11, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
anza

i'm one of those old-timers... still lurking about...
a friend and i entered and we were second prize winners for the communications booth competition...
there used to be links to the winning entries but its all gone now, sadly :(

another competition would be great though, lets think up a new topic!

Feb 4, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
anza

i'm one of those old-timers... still lurking about...
a friend and i entered and we were second prize winners for the communications booth competition...
there used to be links to the winning entries but its all gone now, sadly :(

another competition would be great though, lets think up a new topic!

Feb 4, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
evilhomer

I would certainly be into this (esp. after the term completes)

I'll propose a monument to the birds killed by curtain walls

Mar 13, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
gdepena

Let's get the Links to the ComBooth Activated Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 1, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

this is perhaps something i should not be discussing openly, but my friend postal and i have had several discusions about the possible outcomes of an open ended, open source type design project, in which the basic framework was laid down by the project organizers. the execution of this is up in the air, but how about we look at some kind of massive archinect collaboration in the true open source sense...

one lays down the ground rules and the parameters for the project and we all begin, after a week or two, everyone posts their progress. We allow each other to see everyone elses thought process, in turn enhancing our own as we expose ourselves to new ideas, and perhaps take bits and pieces of other projects to explore and refine in our own designs

a bit of a blow to the whole mystique of the architect as omnipotent designer but possibly a way to combine 100 heads and still allow for individual response

Aug 1, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

sounds great! lets do more work for free... this way, we'll prove to others that our time is truly worth something and we respect ourselves enough to get paid.

Aug 1, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

what are you talking about? is monatary reward the only way to respect your work?????
i hope that was a joke

Aug 1, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i think the idea is very interesting lletdownl

Aug 1, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

so... design is "work" for you?

Aug 1, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

it was partially sarcastic. i hate money, but at times it would be nice to have some, thats where commanding more respect and monetary compensation come into play. i have a tough time working for free even when pride is an incentive

Aug 1, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

design can be "work" and pretty awesome at the same time... definitely a love/hate thing.

btw 43n... a lot of people on here don't understand sarcasm. i hate tip toe-ing around on here sometimes.

Aug 1, 06 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

I like lletdownl's idea very much

makes me think of call/response and improvisation based on variety of influence.

nice as an exploration of process and authorship.

If it goes further, I'd enjoy developing ideas for the parameters, and/or participating in the execution

Aug 1, 06 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i'm up for that lletdownl...

Aug 1, 06 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
postal

all right lletdownl, seeing as you've let the cat out of the bag...

i think this would be a great competition "format" for a community such as archinect, or any digital community for that matter...

opensource "practice" is becoming more and more prevalent in many practices, (any linux users out there? any machinimists out there? etc.) "our" (mine & lletdownl's) idea was to open up a competition website where people can add and modify previous designs until a given time when either a) we're all happy (not gonna happen) b) the "jury/owner" is happy or c) after a given time limit (could be years)

My initial plan was to do the house that i've grown up in. As i have readily available information about the house and everything. Post it online and let everybody and their mother hack away at it, for a period of time when i can raise enough money to build it. (i just graduated, it would be a while, and i'd have to make sure my parents don't sell it).

So, that's just where this whole thing started, I thought I would mention it for the sole reason that we are currently utilizing open source "strategies" to start a competition.

Also, in response to money, we are only doing very small portions of the project in our freetime. These ideas and drawings and rendering will be free to be traded so that everyone can see everyone elses work. And then decide what idea they want to implement. One can go to previous models, ideas, start from scratch, etc. The result would be a "bajillion" designs, revised over and over. Then i guess we could vote at the end or something. (ok, so there's that obvious portion that needs to be worked out, because we can't have someone swoop in and take all the credit like certain software has developed in the past)

This is fun. This is why we are designers. We're gamers, we live for this shit. We get credit, we get pride, but in the end, we weren't the only ones who put this thing together and so the only possible reward is a "gauranteed" realization of the project.

And as for the ambitious part, (ha, like above said house remodeling wasn't ambitious enough), the physical project could try and realize itself as an open source construction project in which the building is regularly remodeled and adjusted per new parameters. (of course, a major part or goal of the project would be to connect it to our designs and inputs in the digital world, and certain reactions could occur based on both third party and owners inputs.)

btw, initially the house (my house) would be a typical suburban household proving to be an experimental link to culture and ideas in the desert that is NW MetroChicago Suburbia.

So those were the initial thoughts, expressed between myself and lletdownl. but of course, we're all here to shape and change suggestions that will be fun and worthwhile for all/most. (others can make ridiculously crappy shoe holders for designboom)

and you should all check out "creative commons", secondlife (or any other MMORPGs for the most part), wikipedia, gaming mods, machinima, etc.

Aug 2, 06 12:16 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

v1 was cool... was like using old netscape v1...miss those days, but also happy that archinect has gotten this big

i didnt liked the "communication booth" results thou... but who knows, maybe next one i will be in

Aug 2, 06 5:29 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

neat idea but "open source" seems to be a model for the research scientists and programers where specific tasks can be replecated and research verified.

The economics of the business world sort of dictate the dissemination of tasks as related to architecture most effectively according to capatilist model. Fear no profit, sirs.

Who would be the "proctor" or filter for the info?

Aug 2, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

in an academic excersise such as an open competition, i dont see why the economics of business need be involved at all... in the initial design phase there really doesnt need to be a dissemination of tasks... in my oppinion, if this open sourced idea was to work, it would lead to the complete disintigration of compartmentalized thoughts or tasks, it would create a free flow of ideas between everyone involved, and an open discussion through actions as well as words... utopian i guess but interesting none the less

as to evils second question, im not sure there needs to be a proctor or filter for these submissions... there could be a judging at the end of a given time period, but between the start and the finish, the less filtering of information and ideas the better id think.

any thoughts on this idea? or ideas on the objective of this problem?

Aug 2, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: