Archinect
anchor

2006 Pritzker Prize

lloxy

List your top 5 nominations for the 2006 Pritzker Prize.

Dec 7, 05 9:01 pm
spaceghost

aren't we just a little too early for this one?

Dec 7, 05 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

The rest of Zaha?
The rest of Zaha?
The rest of Zaha?
The rest of Zaha?
The rest of Zaha?

Dec 7, 05 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
upside

brad pit

Dec 7, 05 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

t

Dec 7, 05 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Too early to say ...

though I do hope that we could see an array of non Starchitect nominations. Too many good ones out there who don't get their due, just coz they dont have a tag !!

Dec 7, 05 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
buenobro

libskind?

Dec 8, 05 12:55 am  · 
 · 
buenobro

edit: Libeskind

Dec 8, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 
joed

what do you mean it's too early? the award is granted based on lifetime achievement. it is highly doubtful that any potential candidate will do so much in the next year that it will significantly affect their candidacy.

Dec 8, 05 1:06 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

the pritzker has been all over the map lately...i suspect that we are due for another unexpected winner like jørn utzon was a few years ago, probably an older architect who might not be such hot shit at the moment but who has steadily put together an excellent body of work

Dec 8, 05 1:08 am  · 
 · 
bawmis

calatrava
holl(but i doubt theyll give it to another american)
zumthor

Dec 8, 05 2:00 am  · 
 · 
Medit

in no order:

Eduardo Souto de Moura (Portugal)
Peter Zumthor (Switzerland)
Toyo Ito (Japan)
Jean Nouvel (France)
Massimiliano Fuksas (Italy)

and Kazuyo Sejima sooner than later, just to not leave Zaha alone in the laureate's list

Calatrava is too busy right now, I guess they'll wait 4 or 5 years to give it to him.. and the Pritzkers should make an exception with Miralles and give him a posthumous medal..

Dec 8, 05 7:14 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

again im for Sejima, cause she's already losing it, so we need to straight her up again (like h&dm + zaha lets hope she get better after the prize), then Zumthor would b cool...no nouvel thanks, but he has been doing a lot of media coverage stuff lately so maybe, calatrava?? u have to b kidding me....calatrava sucks in my opinion, and Souto de Moura would b cool to... dont Zumthor had it already??, Niemeyer has one???, Fuksas??? mmhh i like the guy but i dont think so....still last year was kind of a surprise... lets see what comes this year

Dec 8, 05 7:47 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

there should b an alternative recognition to architects than pritzker....cause sometimes feels like the oscar... u know what i mean, we need a sundance of architecture, a cannes at least....

Dec 8, 05 7:50 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

Toyo Ito
Kazuyo Sejima ( what abour her partner ?)
Eduardo Souto de Moura

Dec 8, 05 8:01 am  · 
 · 
eddieP

i second the brad pit nomination.

he's a genius

Dec 8, 05 8:05 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

Per?

Dec 8, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

Ito.
hands down.

Dec 8, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

what about offices without a singular captain at the helm ? what about the ones that eschew these Howard Roark type personalities ? is it impossible for an office or more than one person to win this award ?

Dec 8, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

No way Toyo Ito, Mason, absolutely no way!!! Ok, too spiked on coffee. I think this could be Nouvel's year. Personally I like Gigon and Guyer, though maybe they aren't "global" enough (neither was Murcutt).

BTW, you can nominate anyone you want.

Dec 8, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

every office is more than one person. every single one.

Dec 8, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
cobra

harry carey

Dec 8, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

vado retro

Dec 8, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
francklee

rem again

Dec 8, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

i'm expecting conservative: calatrava's everybody's golden boy right now. [what does too busy have to do with anything, medit?]

a good way to do 'rem again', as francklee says, is to give it to josh.

how 'bout mcdonough? he's been making some waves - and his focus is au courant.

Dec 8, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

Eisenman

Dec 8, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

in a year that has seen Libeskind fall from grace and crap architects like Calatrava getting praised for "his genius" its really hard to say. I'm an ardent Holl fan, but even then I don't think its his time - far too few buildings recently and all met by heavy criticism. jean Nouvel on the other always seems to be cheek and cheek with Rem, kindered spirits and I do believed he got snubbed the year after OMA, so it might just be him. And he's just finish another eco-euro tower so you never know. He gets my vote. And not to sounds sexist in any way none of the female architects out there are to Zaha's caliber, none. Zaha is my queen

Dec 8, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
BTW, you can nominate anyone you want.

you can even nominate yourself as Gordon Bunshaft did in 1989:

The proof that any qualified person can apply ocurred in 1989, when I received a call from an anonymous gentleman:
[b]"How do I nominate someone for the Pritzker Architecture Prize?" he
asked.
"You tell me his or her name", I said.
"That's it? You don't have to fill out forms, list accomplishments,
submit a portfolio and letters and references? You don't have to be
recommended?" he asked incredulously.
"No, just tell me the name, and I'll do the rest," I said. "If the
person is elegible for consideration, I will gather the material and
present it to the jury for consideration."
A pause.
"Then I would like to recommend myself."
"And your name, sir?" I asked.
"I am Gordon Bunshaft," he replied.
"Thank you, Mr. Bunshaft."
That was the year Gordon Bunshaft won the prize, sharing it with
Oscar Niemeyer."

Bill N. Lacy (executive director of the Pritzker Prize since 1988)

@not per correll: I meant Calatrava's working right now on some big (and apparently very popular) projects: the tallest skyscraper in Chicago, that "particular" residential tower in NY, the WTC transport hub, the 3 twisted skyscrapers in València, etc...
Whenever he finishes all those projects, say in 8 or 9 years, he will have completed his most fecund period (add the recently finished Malmö tower and the Auditorium in València), and then the Pritzker will make more sense -wether people think his works are bullshit or not- with a larger body of work...
I don't think he will be in every arch magazine in 15 years but now he's too busy completing the white skeleton series so I'd guess they will wait until he finish them.

Dec 8, 05 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

javier -
gigon/guyer? pritzker? good stuff, but i think nein.
but i would go in with you on Nouvel for this year. (as my second choice though. ... go toyo go toyo)

Dec 8, 05 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
sammyboy77

do you guys think tod williams and billie tsien have a shot?

Dec 8, 05 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'd be really surprised if it was an american again...even though i do think that the likes of steven holl and (eventually) williams & tsien will be honoured

Dec 8, 05 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

liesel pritzker- worth much more than paris.

Dec 8, 05 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

may not be time for an american again, yet, but williams & tsien are overdue.

Dec 9, 05 8:59 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
www.hotel-online.com/News/

PR2002_4th/Dec02_HyattHeir.html

Dec 9, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
norm

me.

Dec 9, 05 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Uffizi die Architekten Inkognito

die Projekten

Dec 9, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

Hafeez Contractor. I bet none of you know who that is.

But seriously, Eisenman or Nouvel.

Dec 9, 05 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
adso

I liked it when there was a period of relative unknowns (Sverre Fehn, Alvaro Siza). They seem to have been giving them out to the usual suspects lately.

If not Zumthor, then I'd like to see somebody I've never heard of who does great work.

Dec 9, 05 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
macgirl

How about Enrique Norten?

Dec 10, 05 5:34 am  · 
 · 
francklee

ha ha ha ha now norten, ya right, why not david childs also while we're bantering around corporate schlock for the prize or hell kpf rtkl gensler

Dec 10, 05 6:04 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

norten did get the mies prize, not?

Dec 10, 05 6:23 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

I'd have to go with Tod Williams & Billie Tsien - They have not had an American in 14 years. Also almost all the presentations were done in a different country than the winner -- I could be really wrong about this but I thought TWBT just got a huge decade long project in India...

1979 Philip Johnson of the United States
1980 Luis Barragán of Mexico
1981 James Stirling of Great Britain
1982 Kevin Roche of the United States
1983 Ieoh Ming Pei of the United States
1984 Richard Meier of the United States
1985 Hans Hollein of Austria
1986 Gottfried Boehm of Germany
1987 Kenzo Tange of Japan
1988 Gordon Bunshaft of the United States and Oscar Niemeyer of Brazil
1989 Frank O. Gehry of the United States
1990 Aldo Rossi of Italy
1991 Robert Venturi of the United States
1992 Alvaro Siza of Portugal
1993 Fumihiko Maki of Japan
1994 Christian de Portzamparc of France
1995 Tadao Ando of Japan
1996 Rafael Moneo of Spain
1997 Sverre Fehn of Norway
1998 Renzo Piano of Italy
1999 Sir Norman Foster of the United Kingdom
2000 Rem Koolhaas of The Netherlands
2001 Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron of Switzerland
2002 Glenn Murcutt of Australia
2003 Jørn Utzon of Denmark
2004 Zaha Hadid of the United Kingdom

Dec 10, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
They have not had an American in 14 years

... 2005 Thom Mayne (Morphosis) of the United States

and talkin' about India, maybe Charles Correa should be in the list for the 2006 prize.. it's about time for the middle eastern and asian architects (japanese aside)

Dec 10, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Charles Correa was close once to getting it.

Dec 10, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

sehr gross

Dec 10, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

doh, Medit you are right. brain freeze there. You are right it would be nice to see a middle eastern, asian or, shock, African architect get it.

Dec 10, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Or the Colombian Rogelio Salmona...

Dec 10, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i don't care. but, i really like to see cameron sinclair get one, few years from now, when making positive differences in peoples lives in large scales as he aims to. that would be an effective salvo for 'humanity'.

Dec 10, 05 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

pardon me.. i take everything back i said about cameron and pritzker, after i saw this picture of him, giving out medallions hemsef.. oh shit, this should go to look alike thread, where kojak is at.

Dec 10, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
joed

Cameron, Zaha was born in Baghdad and didn't go to London until she was 22, in 1972. I think that qualifies her as "middle eastern." It's pretty funny how you have dropped the ball on the nationalities of the two most recent winners.

Dec 10, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

wow, if that's what you call "dropping the ball"...

Dec 10, 05 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: