Archinect
anchor

transparent to opaque glass

raj

i am wondering if anyone know what the glass that using an electric current turns from transparent to opaque is called.
i have found this at another firm...just can't remember what its called to find on line...

so if anyone knows what this glass is called and a complany/website...that would be great.

thanks

Dec 1, 05 7:06 pm
archsia

there are only a couple manufacturers out there i know of - try running a search on saint-gobain glass. i'm using a good amount on a showroom space - your client better have deep pockets...

Dec 1, 05 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
Polymer dispersed liquid crystal glass

- from an earlier thread.

Dec 1, 05 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
raj

thanks guys...
garpike that was worth it just for the clapper joke.

Dec 2, 05 10:23 am  · 
 · 
anza

suspended particle display or spd, it becomes opaque but does not block out the sun
and
fyi: when the electric current is passed the glass becomes clear and when the current is off the glass becomes opaque.

for sun blocking, there is a product out there by 3M but last i checked they were in the process of coming up with a new generation but that was about a year ago. they may have done it by now!

Dec 2, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Many of us know how the liquid crystal works: when there is a current, or it is "on", the little crystal guys line up head to toe in a neat organization, therefore allowing the most light through. This gives the appearance that the glass is clear. When there is no current, or it is "off", the crystals beome disorganized. Light cannot easily pass through. The glass appears cloudy.

So there's a mini-debate a brewin': Can't we all say the glass is "on" when it is "off", or do we have to be technically correct? Being a nerd myself, I lean toward the technically-correct know-it-all version, but it may be easier to just accept that people will say the glass is "on" when it is cloudy. It may keep baby Jesus from crying.

Dec 2, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Sorry. It's Friday night, and I am nerding-out in front of my computer... at work.

Dec 2, 05 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

on the same subject (sort of), does anyone else think that the LA prada store is less than spectacular???

Dec 2, 05 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Specifically, what is rubbing you the wrong way? I like the store. But I didn't write home about it...

Dec 2, 05 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: