Archinect
anchor

Thom Mayne on Charlie Rose

According to the daily Charlie Rose Show daily email announce Thom Mayne is scheduled to be on tonight's show, 30 November 2005.

Nov 30, 05 11:49 am
Elimelech

Thanks Quondam-Rita!!!

Nov 30, 05 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yeah thanks...i always tape these interviews

Nov 30, 05 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Let's just hope that the interview airs tonight. Often what is announced in the daily email is changed by air time. I've never seen Mayne before, so I'm looking forward to the interview myself.

Nov 30, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

check local listing
http://www.charlierose.com/

in my area it goes on at 11:30 pm

Nov 30, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

midnight in my area. i'm so happy i have Tivo!

Nov 30, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

dammson, yeah it is a good idea to tape. I tried to buy the Rose/Rem interview from PBS a few years ago. I decided to not buy when I saw the $40 price tag.

Nov 30, 05 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i got that one..email me i'll give you a copy...i'll encode it from vhs to .avi...

my copy of that interview might not be complete...the interview had already started before i was able to find a vhs tape...

Nov 30, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Nice! I just emailed you.

Nov 30, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
joed

mayne is lecturing tonight at columbia, as well, for those of you interested. busy guy.

Nov 30, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
biggz

If anyone's interested, the lead-in to mayne on charlie rose is the Cream Reunion Concert from Royal Albert Hall in London at 9pm.
Not a bad line up from PBS...

Nov 30, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
todd

pbs THROWS DOWN on occasion. i constantly check their schedule for evenings like tonight. a couple weeks back they had the dylan bio produced by scorsce, pretty good as well. and that leonardo da vinci glider exercise was , nevermind you get the point.

Nov 30, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

every time theres an architect on charlie rose
he always asks him/her about frank gehry...

Nov 30, 05 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

that da vinci episode was great

Nov 30, 05 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

sorry guys I think Mayne was just taken off the lineup. I just checked Charlie Rose's website, and he is no longer listed. hope I'm wrong.

Nov 30, 05 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

post 'em on google video?

Nov 30, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

probably been canned in favor of some king kong build up

Nov 30, 05 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

george w. strikes again. mayne was 86'd to show Bushie-wushie's dumb speech.

Nov 30, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

same thing that happened with mr. david childs! a conspiracy!

Nov 30, 05 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

any chance of posting the chuck vs. rem interview?

depending on the size if you send me a copy i could host it for a week or two.

Nov 30, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

wtf?! Bush gives an extra speech and so Thom Mayne gets bumped? Talk about being kept down by the man...

Dec 1, 05 2:33 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

I missed the first 15 mins. Was Mayne on or no?

Dec 1, 05 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Mayne was not on. Maybe tonight?

Dec 1, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 
ochona

spaceghost, you put the idea in my head: what if thom mayne was on "space ghost coast to coast?" now there's something i'd stay up to watch

Dec 1, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

that pisses me off, I need my sleep, if I stay up, you should fucking put the interview you announced on your website.

There I feel better, this is like the 3rd time Charlie does it. I actually even hate him, I think his questions are bland, his style dull, and many times I have felt he does no research at all before his show. Terry Gross and Fresh Air, is a hell of a lot better.

Charlie Sucks.

Dec 1, 05 10:47 am  · 
 · 
ochona

yeah, our local PBS station sometimes does that -- i couldn't really care less about charlie rose and/or thom mayne but when they say they're going to play a new episode of, say, "mystery" and then you turn it on and it's LAST week's episode -- again -- well, i get kinda irked, especially since i make a habit of actually coming home from work on monday evenings to watch it

i think programming decisions are made by the local stations, not the producers of the shows, so while charlie rose is boring he's not responsible for the mixup

Dec 1, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 

melquiades, almost everytime I've spread the word about an architect being schedules for the Charlie Rose Show over the last few years, the interview didn't show up. That's why I hesitate to do it now.

Actually, I do like Charlie, but what you say reminds of an anecdote from like 14 years ago. Because an architect friend married a former arts news reporter for NPR there was a period when I was acquinted with the production staff of Fresh Air. In discussing Charlie Rose, Amy Salit said, "He talks too much [for an interviewer]." To this day I still sometimes hear Amy's opinion as I'm watching Charlie.

Dec 1, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Gravitas

get the adult swim people on the phone..... maybe a cameo on the Brak show??

Dec 1, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

Quondam what kills me is when Charlie INTERRUPTS the people he interviews with his half-ass ideas about THEIR subject of expertise. He does talk a lot, and sounds like an ass most of the time.
I love Terry she is personal, knowledgeable, and knows when to keep her trap shut.

Dec 1, 05 11:16 am  · 
 · 
wilday

Supposedly...the interview with Thom Mayne will be on tonight (friday).

link

Dec 2, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

Thom was quite enjoyable to watch. Loved the quirky mannerisms. Charlie
Rose is an idiot. He talked way too much. He should be fired.

Dec 2, 05 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
todd

enjoyable? i disagree, his statement of being published is the turning point in an architect's career, maybe for him, but the first true building is what most would agree. now, for thom the numerous publications did seal his fate of being around regardless of being built or not. im guilty, i payed 80bucks for a text back in the day.

as for charlie, the questions surrounding his parents divorce and concrete relation was trully pathetic. charlie has lost some luster.

missed the first 10minutes, im assuming it was about the cooper addition so i didn't get the best part of the interview im assuming.

Dec 3, 05 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

I said he was enjoyable to watch. I never said what he had to say was. Hence, I loved the mannerisms.

Dec 3, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Damn, missed it. Anyone know if here is a download available somewhere? Or anyone tape it and going to upload it? :-)

I would have to agree that the publication is more significant than the first building, but it depends on what your expectations are. When you get published, you are recognized by your peers. When you build a building, it could be crap.
Personally, I care more about the recognition than just having a generic building put up. Maybe my own ego, but it's also something that can truly shape a career.

Dec 3, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Sure would be nice if someone could post the video somehow.

Dec 3, 05 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Man, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks Charlie Rose is over rated. I had a friend who worked at Bloomberg where his show is filmed and he told me Mr. Rose is always walking around in sweat pants, part of the reason we never see his legs. That in itself is no reason to dislike him, but just a bit of interesting gossip.

There was a particular show that did it for me, he was interview Mike Wallace and Don Hewitt from 60 Minutes and they all just came across as such smug bastards. Of course the next week I think Charlie Rose joined 60 Minutes II, how's that for a reversal of job interview roles?

I'll paraphrase one of their exchanges,
CR: Through the years you've had such high caliber people on your show, how do you manage to find them?

DH: We just know when someone is OUR type of person.

Bleh. Excuse me Mr. Hewitt, but didn't you hire Geraldo Rivera?

Dec 3, 05 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
caste

forgive the lack of abiltiy to get a link to actually link but here you go:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/168582

bittorrent download of the show, just about to check it out myself

Dec 4, 05 2:43 am  · 
 · 
caste

scrach that intro

Dec 4, 05 2:43 am  · 
 · 
norm

i caught the re-run of this show this weekend. mayne taught at ucla when i was there (i didn't take his studio) and i always thought he was a bit of an ass. however i thought he did well, and represented architecture well. you could tell there were a couple times when rose had no idea what he was talking about though.

Dec 5, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I enjoyed his classes (two studios and thesis advisor), but I knew what I wanted and what he'd be like. I avoided Lynn while I was there.

Dec 5, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Morphosis architecture represents architecture well, but I don't think Mayne on Rose represented architecture well at all. The times when Rose "had no idea what he (Mayne) was talking about" are when Mayne didn't honestly answer the question. For example, when Rose asked what motivates Mayne's design now, Mayne couldn't give an honest objective answer. Instead, Mayne, after some silence, gave ethereal blah-blah. Granted, it was just that type of stuff architects are used to hearing at design juries among themselves, but that does not make it a good answer. I'm more interested in how non-architects think Mayne came off.

Kahn knew how to answer questions well and ethereally, and I imagine Vanbrugh knew how to answer questions well and theatrically.

Dec 5, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
norm

i certainly don't want to get into the business of defending mayne...but how would you present a sound-bite answer about his motivation? what did kahn say? "form follows function"? that dog ain't gonna hunt anymore.

Dec 5, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

First of all, presenting a sound-bite answer is not the issue here, especially since Rose gave Mayne a whole hour. Rose's question contained some leads, "is it politics?, is it style?" (I don't remember all the exact words), and given the question, I would have given the context of where I see Morphosis within architectural history, and then explained what the Morphosis design approach sets out to accomplish. I can't answer what Mayne would say himself, but that's the way I would have approached an answer to the question. What I thought after I saw Mayne's hesitation and then heard his answer is just how afraid and subsequently unable architects are at talking about style. But, more to the point, architects are afraid to discuss their motivation because a lot of the motivation (especially for Morphosis) is about creating a certain style.

style 1 : the way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed

The notion of style in architecture has been so debased by Modernism's reaction to eclecticism that architects now don't even know how to talk about it.

Kahn had a (unique?) way of speaking about the investigation of architecture's program and how designed space then strives to match the needs of the program, which made talking about style something secondary.

Dec 5, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

One good way to see how they (stararchitects, successful architects, etc.) talk to the public is to watch them. I saw Mayne, Moss, Holl, Gehry, Hadid, Scogin, and a few others give a speech to UCONN (Gehry got the job). This was a faculty and some students, but they don't have an architecture program, so no one (besides myself) that would care about some over intellectualized theory.
Most talked in a very simple way, about how they work, how they would work with the faculty, the site, their ideas, etc. That was the first time (and only) that I've seen something like that.
There was very little bs, if any.

I'd highly recommend attending any of the selection presentations (we just had Meier, Holl, and a few others here in Denver again, a few nights ago - I caught a little on TV, but had missed them).

Mayne has got some skills and knows what to say, as evidenced by his growing public/gov projects (probably the last gang that want to hear about French philosophies).

But I do agree, style is a difficult thing to discuss. It's difficult for anyone to quantify why their designs are better than others. Personally, I think it all goes back to experiencing the space (old ideas, for sure, but people understand that).

Dec 5, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
raj

it was very interesting to watch it with my wife...(not an architect)
it was that question that she looked at me and said he isn't saying anything...but sounds very eloquent. i thought that was funny.

i really liked the question about his broken family as a source of his style. while it caught him totally off guard...it was a very interesting thought...just not something he wanted to talk about!

other thing i thought was interesting is that charlie kept asking him about being able to get jobs...and defend it. doesn't someone get a starchitect usually know what they are getting?? he seemed not willing to accept himself as a starchitect...

Dec 5, 05 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

trace, I know what you mean about watching stararchitects talk/present to the public. A couple of years ago I saw Pelli, Safdie, de Grey (of Foster and Partners) and Norton present there designs publicly for the expansion of the Free Library of Philadelphia. If I recall correctly, Pelli looked the most comfortable, although Safdie ultimately got the job. Norton seemed to have the most trouble explaining/defending his (the most avant-garde) design.

raj, I wish I was watching with you and your wife. We could have had a shot everytime Mayne ended his answer with "Right?" or "Does that make sense?"

Dec 5, 05 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i saw thom the other day at the coffee place on main street, santa monica. we had a brief conversation about drywall work he needs to be done. he asked me if i know anybody reliable for a tiny job in his garage, otherwise he tempted to do whole thing himself, install, mud, sand and paint.
i said fuck'n do it.. we laughed, i said, let me know if you need a tile guy and that was that..

Dec 6, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i saw both rotundi and mayne speak and they both showed slides of every single project they ever did. what a yawn fest. i dont really want a greatest hits show guys. keep it current. keep it fresh. keep me awake. same goes for the rest of you.

Dec 6, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 7, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

quondam, is that Rita's nephew Fukit, who supposed to watch the interview and report it to Rita? that kid has no business with buzz words.. love it.

Dec 7, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

aka, Dick Hertz

Dec 7, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: