Archinect
anchor

Hurricane Emily Says "Hello"

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I am writing this as the outer bands of Hurricane Emily are hitting the South Texas area. I am currently in Realitos, TX, in Duval County, about 100mi due west of Corpus Christi, TX. Came down here to make my dad's ranch "tornado-proof". If you watch the weather channel, you can see the general area I am in (near the center of the little "v" formed by the bottom part of Texas). Winds are about 63mph. Really dark skies. The air was quiet this morning. The usual sounds of coyotes and crows, flies and mosquitos were strangely absent. Tons of rain. More posts later.

By the way, this is the 5th hurricane I have experienced.

Jul 20, 05 11:35 am
A Center for Ants?

post some pics!!!

Jul 20, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
A

I was in TX in 1988 when Gilbert slammed into about that very same area of TX/Mexico. Mostly I remember all the tornados that it spawned around San Antonio. Watch out!

Hurricanes were my favorite weather phenomena until I moved to the artic and started experiencing blizzards.

Jul 20, 05 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

my moms in corpus, not good.

i was in san antonio in 88, and i remember tornados even though i was only 8. i had an aunt who lived less than a 1/4 mile from where one of them touched down.

Jul 20, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Grew up in Florida and went through countless hurricanes. Worst was Andrew. Tornado ripped through the neighborhood from that one.

Jul 20, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

David hit Savannah the day after I left in 1979, and TV coverage of Hugo in 1989 brought pictures Savannah Beach, Tybee Island, where I just vacationed a month earlier.

I and high school buddies spent most of the week of Agnes (1972) under the Roosevelt Boulevard bridge that crosses Tacony Creek. The bridge comprises three enormous (12 lane highway above) concrete arches, and the creek ususally streams through one arch. By the fifth day, the creek was a raging torrent going through all three arches. A week latter I got drunk for the first time at Avalon, NJ, drinking Sloe Gin of all things. Didn't The Summer of '42 come out in 1972?

Jul 20, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

yeah, florida is a feckin magnet. punta gorda (shudder) was wrecked in last year's assault. love me some hurricanes.

Jul 20, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

I was down in Fla for the second big one last year. I lived there for 15 years but that was the first that I was in a direct hit...truth is it wasnt that bad if your in a well built house...but if not it can suck...

Jul 20, 05 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

i heart hurricanes.

its the only way we get decent surf on the east coast. you haven't lived until you've paddled into raging storm surf... of course, you have to wait until the majority of the storm passes.

Jul 20, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

3ifs-

not true... long island in the winter goes off on the nor'easters. you just need your 100/90/80 wetsuit.

but i'm spoiled. moved from FL to CA for the waves... er... i mean architecture.

Jul 20, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

hello!

Jul 20, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

latest, katrina.

Aug 28, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jeepers, smokety, now I'm worried about you. Hold tight and post soon! (please)

Aug 28, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

lb,
if smokety is at his dad's ranch west of corpus christi, then he's well out of the predicted path of katrina.

Aug 28, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

i am actually in new haven, ct right now ... well out of the way of katrina's wrath.

but i appreciate all the kind thoughts!!!!

Aug 28, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

WTNT32 KNHC 282041
TCPAT2
BULLETIN
HURRICANE KATRINA ADVISORY NUMBER 24
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
4 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE KATRINA HEADED FOR THE
NORTHERN GULF COAST...

-forecaster pasch,nhc

Aug 28, 05 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oops, duh, ignore me, I didn't sleep last night....

Katrina/Emily/whatever.

Glad you're OK Smokety, in the city of my birth!

Aug 28, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
SeanNOLA

*phew* Thank god Texas is safe. I can sleep now...wait, is that a "NOLA" attached to my name? Crappity Crap Crap!!! I'm gonna get trampled! Oh if only my family weren't so stubborn! Does anybody know if Pella Hurricanesheild windows really sheild from hurricanes?

Aug 28, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I saw the police chief of NawLins on NBC this morning. When Cambell (yaowza) asked him if New Orleans was ready, he said 'not really'. Why is it that even today, when several major storms & catastrophies occur because we just plain decide to build in hazardous areas, we get people (high level ones, at that) who are shocked when a hurricane hits an urban area. Shocking.

Aug 28, 05 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

In McPhee's The Control of Nature, it sounded as if the Army Corps had its hands full trying to keep the levees from collapsing under normal seasonal storms (and the way things are going for the Army recently...).

This one is going to be really bad. All of you Superdome folks stay safe.

Aug 28, 05 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: