Archinect
anchor

Lenny Kravitz design firm? Who would have guessed.

sarah123

Let Design Rule
Musician Lenny Kravitz ventures into design with new firm
(2005-07-12)

Lenny Kravitz, known for his retro taste in everything from his style to his sound, will begin showcasing that style through his design firm, Kravitz Design, which he and two partners started about two years ago.

"We were quiet at first, just doing some private homes, and then moved into doing a penthouse recording studio," said Kravitz. "(Now) we're doing hotels. We've got three or four things on the table now."

Kravitz said his love of architecture and interior design was evident at an early age. But it was his opulent decor of his own homes, including one in New Orleans, that started getting notice in magazines such as Vogue. Then he began getting asked to do other people's homes.

Kravitz said his style is rooted in classic styles with a blend of furniture, such as an art nouveau chair next to a chair from the '60s. He also expects to launch a line of Kravitz decor in the future.

Jul 15, 05 12:51 pm
Ludwig

This is no surprise in a world where marketing is king. the jump from perfumes to houses is not that big actually for example. of course there is the rooted confusion in the public between architecture and decoration.
By the way the reverse jump was already perfromed by H&dM although they are not marketing their designed aroma just yet. You can get a sniff in the Tate exhibition.

Jul 16, 05 6:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually a good friend of mine used to do sound for vh1 and he mic'd up lenny kravitz for an interview and said that guy reaked. anythings possible if u got the ducats...

Jul 16, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
JAG

Hmmm,

This is interesting, where did this article come from?

One of Lenny's homes was designed by Michael Czysz of Architriopolis. They were friends from before Kravitz got big, and the projects the article mentions sound like Architropolis projects. I wonder if Czysz is partnering with Kravitz for the name??? Or perhaps Kravitz is taking credit for having "Input" on the design of his homes and think's he can "rock" the design world...

Lot's of info here:

http://kravitzdesign.com/ Nevermind...

Jul 17, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
maxine
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/21/garden/21star.html

he claims to be one of the people resonsible for bringing shag carpeting back....ha!

Jul 21, 05 1:56 am  · 
 · 
pencrush
"Every screw, every hinge. Dude, details are details!"

Le Corbusier would surely have agreed.

Dear God, even the fucking NYT is going insane.

Jul 21, 05 2:39 am  · 
 · 
Kristix You! Black Emperor

I met personally Lenny and took an autograph, but the drummeress Cindy is definately better!!!

Jul 21, 05 7:40 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Was just about to post that article.....

I had to stop reading it halfway through, I was afraid my eyes were about to roll out of my head.

Jul 21, 05 8:26 am  · 
 · 
jetcetera

Pack it in, kids. Start a band, sell 12M Records, start a design firm. Eff Graduate School.

Jul 21, 05 8:37 am  · 
 · 
jetcetera

If Len comes out with his own line velvet thru wall flashing, we're screwed.

Jul 21, 05 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

In defense of Lenny Kravitz, I remember a Cribs episode or something that showed his home in Miami, and it was super cool. He has interesting style and a good blend of retro styled items.

Jul 21, 05 9:42 am  · 
 · 

the key is not whether you can - on occasion, and with a huge budget - put together a space that's 'super cool'. it's how consistent, intentional, and rigorous you are about it. the shifting from space age to neo-baroque indicates a design relativism similar to the architect who'll do your house in modern, colonial, or tudor. the comments about having a good 'eye' are pure decorator talk.

while lenny's music is a guilty pleasure for me, it's always been clear that he simply, and superficially, tries on and mixes together different sounds and looks from the past. his decorating approach is similar. repopularizing panton is not designing - it's homage to the actual designer: panton.

btw, that miami apartment with the black and white sofa he 'designed' is heinous. (since when does painting an antique black and having it reupholstered count as designing a piece of furniture?)

Jul 21, 05 9:53 am  · 
 · 

of course his home in Miami rocked, he has the best eye since Tom Ford! And he's not afraid to admit it.

Jul 21, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 

oops, sorry. sofa's painted white.

Jul 21, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
jetcetera

Lenny's da man, no doubt- but it just underlines that the practice of Design/Architecture as hobby for the rich.

Jul 21, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

Honestly, I think Lenny's version of his involvement in his Miami home is a little revisionist. It was designed and furnished by a design firm, and he was the client.

Jul 21, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I don't know if these celebs getting into 'design' is gonna help us, or not. First Brad Pitt, now Lenny. Maybe we could get them to do some P.S.A.s, or start a foundation to 'Save the Architects.; Just look how Sally Struthers helped 'the children.'

Jul 21, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

I believe the Miami home was design by Architropolis out of Portland, OR.

Jul 21, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

yep.

Jul 21, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
maxine

from a previous article somewhere else....

"I was always changing things and moving things around," said Kravitz to the Associated Press, reports the Herald. "He and two partners started the firm about two years ago. "We were quiet at first, just doing some private homes, and then moved into doing a penthouse recording studio," he said to the AP. "[Now] we're doing hotels. We've got three or four things on the table."

2 things about this:

1. I think he should have kept "quiet" (esp after that nytimes article-- yes, i couldn't get over that tom ford comment! then again tom ford was also "thread-material" back in the day)

2. And to be a designer, all you have to do is "love changing things and moving things around"......now who needs to go to school for that?

Jul 21, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Architropolis

did the Miami pad, and as I understand it, did the design while Lenny was out on tour and had it completed for him to walk in and see full-blown when he returned - furnishings, towels, music, and candles at the ready. I sincerely doubt his involvement in the design, and agree with Steven's comments above regarding his musical "styling" vs. the intentionality of true "design"

Jul 21, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hey WonderK (and everyone else), go back to the Times section, skip over to page 3, and there's a blurb about a little Eames show I did exhibit design for - opens tomorrow night, and as of today is looking pretty fun.

Hope to see some of you at the opening tomorrow!

Jul 21, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
ether

post pictures for us that can't make the show!

Jul 21, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

yes, please. i can't find it on the times pages. may not be online.

Jul 21, 05 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: