Archinect
anchor

Ridiculous descriptive words for architecture

liberty bell

Please share your favorite humorous descriptive words for architecture.

For example, the current Frontgate catalogue has a "featured home" which the owners describe as a little old Italian and a little French: "We call it "Fratalian" !!!!

Fratalian. This is now our office's new term for bad suburban style. Anyone else?

May 19, 05 5:51 pm
duke19_98

exstatic architecture per the man himself Charles Jencks

May 19, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
LBG

"Luxuriously luxurious!" (a la Bobby Trendy)

May 19, 05 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

i've never gotten past 'curb appeal'. cringe...

also, when i lived in new orleans i once heard a couple behind me on the streetcar discussing the houses along st. charles avenue. one comment: 'look at all the architecture on that one!'

May 19, 05 6:17 pm  · 
1  · 
wangsta

we had a client who wanted a "rustic-hi-tech" look to their building

May 19, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
ether

if you look at some of sambo and coleman coker's projects, you'll often see a collection of random tensil pieces joined together... we dubbed this 'flying sticks n shit'.. which every student eventually tried as a design method at some point in their studios.

also one of sambo's design advice to young students was to start with what you new from past projects.. maybe a more formal front or public side of a project and then you can do your "star wars" out in the back.. ie 'flying sticks n shit' or whatever the hell you wanted to because no one had to look at it...

May 19, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

per Corell

May 19, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

"elegant modernism"...used by a very famous architect. I find elegant such an awkward term when associated with a building. I can't think of a single building that could be described as that, I would always describe it using different term. I guess the're trying to appeal to a certain clientele.

May 19, 05 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

I like architecture that's part French and part Greek, it's Freek Architecture.

May 19, 05 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

CORPORATE sounds so stupid, its an excuse for no design

May 19, 05 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

'ultra-modern boxy'

May 19, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
JG

"transistional" or in other words "you know, like Pottery Barn"

May 19, 05 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

"sexy." That's actually not that bad, it just has always struck me as ridiculous.

May 20, 05 1:51 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I actually like "sexy", and use it often - to describe my own work, of course.

I almost slapped a saleswoman the other day when she kept showing me fancy throw pillows in this "color story" or that "color story". Please. "Colorway" is stupid enough, "color story" makes me want to throttle someone.

Yes, vocabulary can make me violent.

May 20, 05 11:05 am  · 
 · 

There was this nun in grade school that used to take our class downtown on architectural walking tours, and she was really fond of saying, "Look at all the powerful erections!" And then she started showing us "dark nooks and crannies." Then she took us up City Hall Tower, and when the elevator got to the top she said, "Now children, ejaculate yourselves." Thank you Sister Immaculata!

May 20, 05 11:29 am  · 
 · 

"funky"
this one gets used in the office I'm at and it annoys me to no end. "funky" is something my mother would use, not a word used by someone thats studied architecture...

May 20, 05 11:34 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

whimsical - thanks mike

May 20, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

When I was in school there was a tendancy to use some curved element in a plan that had no character in itself to make it more interesting.
It was known as the 'schwing'

May 20, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"The Schwing" - ha! I will use that one.

May 20, 05 11:46 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Also, the term 'style' bugs me.
Like - what's your favourite 'style' of architecture (I was once asked by a mortgage agent, as if it would impress me that she knew that 'style' and architecture were somehow connected.
Yes, ma'am, I do have a favourite 'style' (flavour?), it's called 'don't bug me'!
Sorry for the cynicism, it's been a rough couple of weeks...

May 20, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Yeah - it usually looked like the Nike 'schwing'

May 20, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
LenaV

I like "sexy"
I dislike "organic"

May 20, 05 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Barrett

scrumtralescent

May 21, 05 1:09 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

I like "organic."
I also like "ass slappity happy."

May 21, 05 1:30 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

"fuckocted"

Learned this one from a retail guy from LA the other night. It's somewhere in between "fucked" and "concocted." It's fuckocted. Sort of an intentional messing of otherwise clean forms.

.mm

May 21, 05 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
tman

i hate critics (critters) that always make the sound "mmmm..." and gently tap their finger on their lips as if in some deep thought.

I also hate it when they make stupid metaphors. You're building is like an i-pod, was something i heard in a recent review of another student's project.

May 22, 05 3:11 am  · 
 · 
melivt

in the words of my favorite bs'er, PHANTASMAGORIA!
now go make some more crappy watercolors that your genii will turn into something amazing, yet again. i drove 3 hours to watch you talk poop for 90 minutes and then when challenged utterly fail to justify anything, other than to say, "the watercolor, she looks good, no?" and isn't it the swoosh, not the schwing, which is german for oscillating...

May 22, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 
JP

I think my fav word for a wrapper of a building that just got fucked up is Facadomy.

May 23, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
jieunybug

orgasmic/ orgasmal

i think orgasmal is not even a word.

May 23, 05 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
WMDjr

"...Frank Gehry's giant titanium coprolites."
coprolite=fossilized excrement

does that count?

May 23, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
tman

who are u talking about meliasonvt?

May 23, 05 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

"the ineluctable modality of the visible"

Joyce, can't remember whether it's Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake

May 23, 05 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

oh shit, i was supposed to post something funny ... how about

"Volume Erector" or "Interchange Erectors"

i swear i saw these somewhere

May 23, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
F0403

i know alot of crits that like to use "big" words to make them selves look smart, but i spent some time looking up their definitions and im starting to believe they have no idea what they mean. here are some for example...
epistemological
ontological
(and my favorite) proper..as in a review proper.. please who really talks like this..haha

May 23, 05 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
F0403

i know alot of crits that like to use "big" words to make them selves look smart, but i spent some time looking up their definitions and im starting to believe they have no idea what they mean. here are some for example...
epistemological
ontological
(and my favorite) proper..as in a review proper.. please who really talks like this..haha

· 
F0403

oops, im new at this

· 
imagebytekid

epiphtye

May 23, 05 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

lego

May 23, 05 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

"cathedral of light"

May 23, 05 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

"memorial"

May 23, 05 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
cvoogt

substituting "pilotis" for "columns" in 100% of all cases

May 24, 05 4:45 am  · 
 · 
cvoogt

imagine if you will ...

May 24, 05 4:53 am  · 
 · 
cvoogt

or how about calling anything "modern" with an affected German accent

May 24, 05 4:55 am  · 
 · 
yetiwithawonton

Un-toaster-like

not-front

blobonics

Jul 10, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 
garpike

clompiness

Jul 10, 07 1:27 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

"Mastrubatory"

Jul 10, 07 2:33 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hahaha welcome to archinect Wiznerd!!! I stand by "untoasterlike" as a perfect descriptor for that project....

Sorry everyone this is GSA a inside joke. Carry on.

Jul 10, 07 9:35 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared
Deploy

. This word should be, um, dead in the water.

Jul 10, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
MADianito
BLURING BOUNDARIES

f*ck that!

and also in spanish, whenever someone says something like: [/b]"TENGO QUE ATERRIZAR EL CONCEPTO"[/B] just give me the creeps....

Jul 10, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

duh!

Jul 10, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I like it when building elements "begin to have a conversation".

Jul 10, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: