Archinect
anchor

Architecture displaying movement?

finnisoestela

I have been challenged to design an architecture displaying movement and would like to use some case studies. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Apr 11, 05 2:59 pm

Aldo Rossi's Teatro del Mondo.

The original spiral columns at St. Peter's which came from Greece.

The Elgin Marbles.

The Japanese House in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia--from Japan to MoMA's courtyard to Philadelphia parkland.

The International Space Station.

Is it possible for any architecture to display movement if it stays in the same place all the time?

Apr 11, 05 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

I love this facade - name that facade?

Apr 11, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

morphosis' silent collisions project (though i believe it is technically an installation.

a multitude of calatrava projects and sculpture work.

there was a book titled "the artificial landscape", and it had a project on the cover. i don't recall who did it. it had red arms in movement, around a plaza if anyone knows what i am talking about.

there are so many more, i am having trouble thinking right now though.

Apr 11, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Peter Cook, kunstals Graz: also a mies nomiated project [was featured on the cover of a recent AR]

what i cant figure out is why the move to HOK? looking for a pension?

Apr 11, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Quondam - A Virtual Museum of Architecture

goes all over the planet. Sometimes it's even big in Japan.

Apr 11, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

a religious project that is focused on the movement of the sun - stonehenge

Apr 11, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

mobile dwelling

Apr 11, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

the denari building is the solar clock. it isn't very well documented but it is in gyroscopic horizons on page 206.

you might also check out will alsop's british pavilion for expo '92. a balloon that rises in and out of the building is connnected to the roof and other parts of the structure causing the building to expand and contract opening and closing a central courtyard and other moving pieces.

Apr 11, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

how about some expressionism.. Saarinen's TWA? or some organic... Wright's Guggenheim spiral, or Aalto's MIT senior dormitories?

usually, things -not only buildings- with a lot of curves have expressed movement better than static and orthogonal creations...

the challenge this time, to bring the architectural discourse one step forward, would be to design a "boxy" building with some kind of dynamism... like the building that has won, just this afternoon in Barcelona, the Mies prize.. Koolhaas' Netherlands embassy in Berlin, which is a boxy building on the outside but the complex circulations inside may represent some kind of "movement"...

oh, and he has come to receive the Prize... huh, he's tall!

Apr 11, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Inside Ryerss Museum (the nearest museum to where I'm sitting right now) there are the entire contents of a Japanese Buddhist Temple (brought to Philadelphia as tourist souvenirs).

Doesn't the Chigago Tribune Building have pieces of significant architecture from all over the world embedded within its exterior wall at the pedestrian level?

Apr 11, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

I think there's even a piece of Stonehenge embedded within the exterior wall of the Chicago Tribune Building.

Expressionism in the ether playground?

[If Wright's Gugguenheim spiral expresses movement, then it's more the stolen moment of Momo's Vatican ramp design into Wright mythology -- http://www.quondam.com/25/2459.htm and follows.]

Apr 11, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
buffalo fill

Yes, every spiral ramp owes its existance to Momo's Vatican ramp. Good job for finding the Laugier's hut of spirals. What about Babylon?

Apr 11, 05 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

What about the Gate of Babylon in Berlin?

Or the piece of the Berlin Wall on my window sill?

Apr 11, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
buffalo fill

Apr 11, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

again, http://www.quondam.com/25/2459.htm and (the four pages that)follows.

Apr 11, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

oh, I didn't know about the Vatican ramp.. would the change of scale -seems that the Guggenheim's ramp has a bigger diameter- decrease the amount of movement in the american museum?

Apr 11, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

The great thing about the Kunsthaus is that they forgot to properly design how to change the lightbulbs! the only way that they are going to do it is wait till a third of all the bulbs have gone, then put up scaffolding, take all the cladding off, change every light bulb, put the cladding back on and....
yes seriously.
Now that will be an animated facade!

But on the subject of architecture displaying movement, i think it happens on a smaller scale, and i think that it is a more personal experience.
The aegis hyposurface which DeCoi designed is a fantastic example of that, but i think that transience inherent in certain architectures also provide this-
like dan graham.

Apr 11, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

Architecture inspiring the notion of movement.

Corb's Villa Savoye...hovering in the field of grass
FLW Robie House...original site conditions of open prairie utilized the elongated horizontals to emphasize movement. These examples utilize material/form as variable.

time as variable...the temporary or at least fooling the brain into thinking temporary....things usually on the move as stationary architecture...
http://www.archpaper.com/feature_articles/shipping_news.html
and...
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/CHE/CHE-037.htm

see the work of Jones Partners:
http://www.jonespartners.com/
He designed a home, from what i recall, that operated by using an elevator on the interior to hoist occupants to each level/use of the home.

Apr 11, 05 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
e

denari's solar clock is documented better in pamphlet architecture 12 than in gyroscopic horizons. it not only include photos of the model, but drawings too.

Apr 11, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
dherman

I've wrestled with this project/concept before... you could come up with all sorts of technology-driven achitectural contraptions, but in the end you have to think at either micro- or macro- scales: the perception and use of space by individual organisms, or a whole site's systematic evolution over time. My favorite example was always the shipwreck - an immobile, useless structure placed violently out of context, which over imperceivable lengths of time becomes integrated with and eventually inseperable from its new environment.

Apr 11, 05 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wes jones memorial for astronauts

Apr 11, 05 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
illogic

My thesis project was based on movement in architecture. Looked at four aspects. Expressive Movement = Borromini (quattro fontane), Ambulant Movement = Henry Hoare II (stourhead) + Le Corbusier (Promenade Architecturale), Digital Movement = Lynn (generative animations) and Affective Movement = Phenomenology/Sensual/"To be moved" (Steven Holl and others). My project assembled each of these into one proposal. I had wished to integrate kinetics into the project as well but it became to overloaded... in other words, movement in architecture is quite a rich and extensive topic... the hyposurface project by decoi is a good example of kinetics mixed with interactivity...

I have to admit to being curious as to the challenger's use of the word "displaying". This might give you impetus to go in other directions...

Apr 12, 05 2:44 am  · 
 · 
mauricio herrera-palma

check the building in front of shibuya crossing in tokyo, or the cover of s.coppola's lost in translation. it's the q-front building.

Apr 12, 05 5:24 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Rita 'I think there's even a piece of Stonehenge embedded within the exterior wall of the Chicago Tribune Building.'

There had better not be or I see an Elgin Marbles fiasco taking shape. Removing national treasures from a World Herritage Site is ... acceptable only if you are British.

Apr 12, 05 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Bowlon

Gonna have to agree wit Medit here... Saarinen's TWA terminal is a great example.

Aalto's Baker House senior dorms at MIT is interesting because it's form is generated from a desire to minimize motion... the motion of the cars speeding by on Memorial Drive. By angling the views out the window you get a more serene, pleasant view of the river, instead of cars whizzing by at a perpendicular angle to the view.

Apr 12, 05 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Rita Novel, to set the record straight Wright's Guggenheim was the fruition of the spiral he developed for the Gordon Strong Automotive Objective and Planetarium, conceived in 1924. The Vatican Museum was conceived in 1929.

Don't ever doubt the almighty Wright!

Apr 13, 05 12:02 am  · 
 · 
rupa

momentum, the project on the cover of Artificial Landscape was Schouwburgplein in Rotterdam by West8 - and it sure is pertinent. the "arms" are in fact four hydraulic lighting elements that can be interactively altered by the square users.

Apr 13, 05 6:01 am  · 
 · 
Medit

this may be a bit off-topic, but continuing with dherman's example of the shipwreck and the movement as a matter of time instead of space, check out spanish AMP Arquitectos project for rescuing an old sunken boat in the Spree river in Berlin, turned into a movable pool - the Spreebrücke.
The Berlin authorities forbid public bathing in the Spree river way back ago, so this artificial pool floating over the water (actually fixed to the river's bed) was placed first in one of the original public bathing zones of the river, and the wood platforms and footbridges to reach the pool are used as an artificial beach, in the future the boat-pool could be moved to other zones of the Spree in the city...

here's some more... and here

Apr 13, 05 6:57 am  · 
 · 

Then I'll just have to doubt the almighty silverlake.

Apr 13, 05 9:02 am  · 
 · 

And what exactly is time without the movement of matter through space?

Apr 13, 05 9:05 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Falkirk Wheel - world's first rotating boat lift

Apr 13, 05 9:34 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, Saarinen was another great movement architect.

Apr 13, 05 9:54 am  · 
 · 
trace™

The best that I've seen/visited is Zaha Hadid. Calatrava comes close on some things, but nothing suggests movement like her work.

Apr 13, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Apr 13, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
e

Apr 13, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

the denari moving clock is also featured in his pamphlet
architecture book.

instrument of action: the jone's house isn't actually jone's partners...
it's doug jackson i believe his name is...a former principal in jone's
office who went out on his own...it was featured in the book 'mobile'
i'm pretty sure and also in a GA houses issue...not sure which one..
my books are at home.

Apr 13, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Bowlon

Trace... Good call on Zaha Hadid. The intention of the Vitra Fire Station was to capture the kinetic energy of the firefighters who lived there. They wait until they're called, then spring into action to fight fires, and the building is supposed to reflect this.

Problem is the firefighters themselves hated it. They thought that fighting fires was stressful enough without having the building messing with them in their downtime.

Apr 14, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Bowlon,

I believe the idea was more about context. If you visit the site, you can see how it is a dynamic point on the Vitra site and is, believe it or not, quite appropriate.
As for the firefighters, it was more of a 'hmmm, so what can I build now?' and they (meaning the Vitra Pres who has 'collected' work by the top names, many at the beginnings/pivotal point in their careers) came up with a firehouse. Vitra is big, but not that big, soon it was pointless to have the added expense of a firehouse so the idea was discraded leaving a building without a purpose. Now the garage serves as a display room and the rest as the highlight for the tours (and yes, there were quite few people that made the trek to the middle of nowhere to see it, as well as the others - Gehry, Ando, Grimshaw, etc.).

Much of her work is generated from movement and circulation around the sites. Her paintings do a good job of capturing this. If you look at the early paintings for the firehouse, you'll see how the it came together.

When I visited, in 1997, there was no trace of any firemen or equipment.

Apr 14, 05 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Ruairi Glynn

I'm creating my own moving project inspired by the work of dECOi, Nox and Kas Oosterhuis. I'm interested in the potential to dance with a room through physical movemnt of the inhabitant and the space itself.

Check it out www.ruairiglynn.co.uk/reciprocalspace

The project diary has a number of examples of architects interested in moving architecture. It also shows how Ive dealt with the physical construction, the electronics and programming

My Dissertation surrounding some of these ideas will also be online soon.

Apr 21, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

"Matta represented the "space of feelings" in hallucinatory images--for example, the project for an apartment, with intersecting spaces and soft walls that shifted in response to its occupants, that he published in the Surrealist magazine Minotaur, in 1938."

[Maybe I should start a thread entitled "Architecture displaying reenactment?"]

Apr 23, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

melting grid of Sol LeWitt. it has been moving slowly..

Apr 25, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
ever so slowly
Apr 25, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

another condition.

Apr 25, 05 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: