Archinect
anchor

Mapping of film?

LBG

so ive been looking at some work from schools like Columbia, GSD etc, etc, and I'm interested in the work regarding the mapping of a film and the relationship to architecture... Anyone care to share processes, thoughts etc.?

Apr 6, 05 4:25 am
siggers

Here at Strathclyde in Scotland we did a short project on what was essentially attempts to 'map film' in some architectural manner. The film I had (not really by choice) was 'Point Break', I broke it down first into a plan of the 6 minute chase scene, drawing all the houses, gardens etc diagramatically. Then I used a variety of other 'mappings' such as colour, light etc to end up with a number of linear patterns (or 'maps' lol) which I then put together into a complex cube, nicknamed the 'chase box'

Other students did various crazy things, paintings, sketches etc, but I think mine was one of the more successful to be honest...(I did get the second highest mark hehe)

Apr 6, 05 6:12 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

two names;

eisenstein
tschumi

Apr 6, 05 7:09 am  · 
 · 

met these german architects in genoa last year where they were getting a prize for the following project:

http://www.mise-en-scene.de/

the projects was based on the structure of film, translated more or less directly to building form; a difficult thing to do. The website is a little ruf, but you can get the idea.

While I like their design I am not so convinced that it needed the concept of filmic-structure to put together. These kinds of projects always leave me feeling like the process is more the point than making a building/landscape/whatever. Makes sense for students exploring methodologies but hard to work in the real world...or maybe not. It is after all the way eisenmann does his design thang and some of his stuff is really good.

An oblique way to attack the topic might be through Greg Lynn's writings. he often discusses automatic methodologies, design algorithms and such.

Apr 6, 05 7:21 am  · 
 · 
sahar

I second Tschmui. I actually did a paper on him. His first Event-Cities has a series where he takes movements from a series of black and white films, creats a diagram of the space needed for that movement, and links them to gether. There is also La Villette, but I think he just updated the terminology for an architectural promenade, etc, etc.

Apr 6, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

get a copy of Manhattan Transcripts, much of Tschumi harkens back to Sergei...

Apr 6, 05 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Check out the book "You Are Here" from Princeton Architectural Press

Apr 6, 05 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
lennon

check out "Atlas of Emotion: Journeys in Art, Architecture, and Film"
by Giuliana Bruno

Oct 7, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
bb8

check out koolhaas as well, he has a background in film.
also, eisenstein is a must when looking into film.

Oct 7, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

start with the shooting script, if one is available.

Maps of the Imagination by Peter Turchi
Graphs, Maps, Trees by Franco Moretti

~marlin

Oct 7, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: