Archinect
anchor

Fantasy Architecture?.....

nscheiter

Fantasy architecture or perhaps future architecture...is Somthing that i have always have had an intrest in..... Im not even sure how to classify it.

For example, the futuristic or(PRE-future) buildings in such movies as Star wars, Back to the future, Fifth Element, ect. Or even such castles featured in the movie Lord of the Rings.
Perhaps artwork displaying this type of design.

i just wanted to hear other peoples take on this..

Dec 13, 04 1:24 am
Per Corell

Hi

Reality proberly will show much more exiting than what sci-fiction show ,develobment of methods and technikes that now,is often just a more efficient way to do what we already can just emagine when we start develobing methods that is not just the old methods re-written into computer code, but do things on the terms of the computer,
We still need to realise that the computer is here to make it easyer, but the best way to do that, is to use the computer as a tool, not as a handy graphic calculating system. ---- When you will se houses the shape of a lion and houses without a roof ,buildings as growing structures.

http://home20.inet.tele.dk/h-3d/

Dec 13, 04 3:53 am  · 
 · 
plexus 1

per.....i don't think you quite understand his point. not every concept has to be sucked in the per vortex.

i think these movies are interesting because they imagine radically alternative forms of aesthetic, social, urban and architectural order. some of these visions are based on utopian or dystopic views of the world that tend to be rather polemical, and consequently are extreme.

i think lebbius woods and michael sorkin employ similar strategies in terms of how their work integrates with the 'real world.'

perhaps you should try to figure out why the conditions in these movies are interesting to you. is it purely a formal condition? is it aesthetics? is it about density? is it related to the social implications of these environments? or perhaps it is all of the above....

once you understand the level of your interest, i would begin to explore the ideas through a series of competitions or academic projects, without serious 'real world' restrictions.

as you shift to practice based commissions, hopefully you will be able to apply some of the investigation and experimentation to your work.

btw, i will be teaching a studio this spring that includes, among others, the following films:

Blade Runner
Fight Club
Brazil
Metropolis
The Matrix
AI
12 Monkeys

Dec 13, 04 9:24 am  · 
 · 

I particularly enjoyed the 'Blade Runner' & 'Brazil' environments because the fantasy/future was layered on to existing and recognizable buildings: Bradbury Building, FLW house, etc. Also enjoy the Williams/Tsien Neurosciences Center in 'Cell', the FLW Marin Center in 'Gattaca'.

Something really provocative about the blurring together of a known reality, something maybe even familiar through personal experience, with a vision (usually dark, cautionary) of the future.

Dec 13, 04 9:44 am  · 
 · 
weave

i would add minority report to this list of fantasy/future environments. some people wrote it off as cheesy, but i think the cgi in that film was remarkable. as steven points out, there is a sense of familiarity mixed w/ a vision of the future...but this time it's rather bright and shiny.

blade runner was particularly interesting to me because it also mixed elements of movie genres of the past...so that past, present, and future are blended.

plexus1, was this studio similar to your options3 studio from 2003?

Dec 13, 04 9:55 am  · 
 · 
plexus 1

similar, to some extent. it will deal with the impact of consumerism on urban theory and design. we will be exploring the phenomena of the meta.block, or the large scale development that displaces blocks of the city from the public realm to the realm of the private development.

Dec 13, 04 10:19 am  · 
 · 
plexus 1

oh, and AI is on the list, but not the entire film.....the excavation of glacier is an amazing moment....

Dec 13, 04 10:20 am  · 
 · 
momentum

if you want some precedents for such a thing check out boullee, and piranasi. both had some interesting takes for their time. also, if you like the star wars aesthetic, check out "the art of star wars" books. they give you a nice look into the process, and a little about why the conceptual relations of the images/designs were generated as they were.

all in all a very cool topic that can lead in many directions.

Dec 13, 04 11:46 am  · 
 · 
weave

that scene is pretty cool indeed.

what about 'city of lost children'?...

Dec 13, 04 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

I just don't get the blob thing Per - sorry.
The newest issue of AR has a bunch of 'young firms' and a lot of them are doing blobs. Very popular. It is like a bunch of male peacocks trying to out shine each other while the panther is laughing at their no-camo asses. Flashy, but expendable.

Some fantacies get built . . .

Dec 14, 04 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

The 186 examples of Ichnographia Ottopia Revisited might offer a new take on fantasy architecture.

http://www.quondam.com/07 for most of the list.

some highlights:
http://www.quondam.com/07/0664.htm
http://www.quondam.com/07/0660.htm
http://www.quondam.com/07/0657.htm
http://www.quondam.com/07/0643.htm
http://www.quondam.com/07/0609.htm
http://www.quondam.com/06/0576.htm

Dec 14, 04 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

\Plexux 1 :
i think these movies are interesting because they imagine radically alternative forms of aesthetic, social, urban and architectural order. some of these visions are based on utopian or dystopic views of the world that tend to be rather polemical, and consequently are extreme.\

Exactly but if you look back to Captain Nemo you will se how many of these structures that first was described in words ,translated by artists and acturly let to innovation sort of a mental substral for daring make the fantasy show not just the buildings and structures but their impac on the minds. I don\t think anyone start with nothing in design most is rather starting from scratch , but without the combine of visioanary thinking and skilled mechanic the joy of it don\t evolve into beauty.
------- Realy all the mentioned sci-fiction is for me most interesting for the architecture ,there are masterpieces among these ,worlds described that will have a great impac, just becaurse somone maneaged to emagine. Sorry I can\t contribuate further but moving my things and just realising I now soon can use my old CalComb pen plotter take a lot of time.

Dec 15, 04 5:51 am  · 
 · 
Crumpets

was Captain Nemo that Michael Jackson Epcot thing?? or was that EO?

oh well...

Dec 15, 04 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Regarding "Something really provocative about the blurring together of a known reality, something maybe even familiar through personal experience, with a vision (usually dark, cautionary [but definitely not necessarily always]) of the future [or not]" see:

Virtual Architecture 003
Virtual Architecture 012
Virtual Architecture 014
Virtual Domain 002
Virtual Museum 284
Virtual Museum 063
Virtual Museum 068
Blicks von Moravia 7
Blicks von Moravia 42
Art that is Otto and Einstein at Princeton 5 March 2000 27
Art that is Otto and Einstein at Princeton 5 March 2000 105
Art that is Otto and Einstein at Princeton 5 March 2000 115

for Piranesi see Eros et Thanatos Ichnographia Campii Martii

Dec 15, 04 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I think "fantasy architecture" derives it's power from the notion that you can read a culture through its architectural production. So in Lord of the Rings, for example, the Hobbits are a simple people, so it reads in their architecture, and the Elves are a refined, elegant, and noble people, which also reads in their architecture. For filmmakers, it is a powerful tool to express ideas without getting into boring dialogue.

I've always thought it interesting that this fantasy architecture always creates such homogenous worlds, for example, in Star Wars each planet has a planetwide architectural language, which denies diversity. Once you introduce diversity, the reading of the culture gets mixed up.

Dec 15, 04 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
plexus 1

admittedly, i did not look at all the images you posted.....but the princeton series are not about blurring and also do not suggest a dark, cautionary or futuristic vision.

however, i do agree with the piranesi reference.

Dec 16, 04 9:17 am  · 
 · 

The subject is fantasy, and fantasy, more or less by definition, does not come with restrictions. Even so, it is 'blurring something familiar with a vision' that was addressed, and the Princeton images indeed do that. The notion that fantasies are not nessessarily dark or cautionary, nor necessarily of the future was also added before the images were presented.

fantasy 2 : imagination or fancy, esp : the free play of creative imagination as it affects perception and productivity usually as expressed in an art form or as elicited by projective techniques of formal psychology

The title ART THAT IS OTTO AND EINSTEIN AT PRINCETON 5 MARCH 2000 harbors 'clues' -- the fantasy is immediately obvious, but don't forget the layer of symmetry (OTTO) and of relativity (EINSTEIN), plus the notion of two visions joined.

Piranesi's Ichnographia Campi Martii is not really about fantasy, rather it is a reenactment of ancient Rome's history delineated via ancient Rome's architecture. The plans with their Latin labels within the large plan are all texts that together deliver the history of the city of Rome. Piranesi did a fantastic job of making a history lesson appear as fantasy.

Dec 16, 04 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: