Archinect
anchor

Best International Schools/Programs

heyyou

What are the top/best/most-interesting international programs? I'm trying to get a sense of the global scene for architectural education, preferably of schools that have something vaguely equivalent to an MArch program.

I think new and innovative programs are just as interesting as old and esteemed ones, and I'd be especially glad to learn about any crazy outliers, such as Dubai University, which I heard moved its architecture school to a private island shaped like giant penis. Yikes!

So:

1. Dubai University
2. AA, London
3. ETH, Zurich
4. Hong Kong University? I don't know. You tell me.

Feb 26, 11 2:12 pm
LOOP!

A few that except english-only speakers off the top of my head:

Tokyo University
Tokyo Institute of Technology
Hong Kong University
Melbourne University
RMIT
University of Sydney
University of New South Wales
UT Sydney
University of British Columbia
McGill
University of Toronto
University of Auckland
Singapore University

Feb 26, 11 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

er, "accept"

Feb 26, 11 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

Any one of these taking non-arch background people for graduate study?

Feb 27, 11 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Don't believe so. Maybe some of the Canadian schools.

Feb 28, 11 8:10 am  · 
 · 
heyyou

Thanks, intotheloop - that's a good list. What do you think are the best non-english programs?

Feb 28, 11 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Typically, Canadian architecture schools don't do the 3-year non-arch background degree. Carleton is starting the first one in Fall 2011 or 2012 I believe; other than that you usually have to do the full 4-year undergrad + 2-year masters, 2 + 2 undergrad/grad programs (Dalhousie, Calgary, Winnipeg, BC), or Toronto's 3.5 year program.

Feb 28, 11 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

I only speak English so I wouldn't know ;) I imagine that if you're fluent in say, Spanish, you could figure out what was good in the Spanish speaking world pretty quick. Google is your friend.

Here's a list of all the architecture schools in the world to mull over:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_architecture_schools

One place I missed is the IAAC in Barcelona; not sure if it's "good" but they're all over the internet and they have a nice webpage, which I guess is 90% of the battle.

Hmmm, Bartlett, Berlage Institute, Basel School of Design, Edinburgh, uni of Stuttgart, Milan has a good school. My knowledge of European schools is pretty weak as studying in that part of the world doesn't interest me much.

Mar 1, 11 4:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: